AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th January, 2010, 01:44 AM
Member/Contributer

Normally its reasonably prominent, you should be able to see it if you can see the PSU specs on the side.

If there aren't any specs anywhere, I would say most likely the cause of your BSOD is a dodgy PSU along with driver corruption.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2010, 11:50 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

BSOD can also occur when the CPU cooler isn't properly attached and the CPU goes way too hot!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2010, 04:25 PM
AOA Staff

Yeah, it should be on the sticker where all the voltage specs are.
Usually on the side of the Power Supply unit.
I still think a good test would be to take out one of the video cards and play some games for a while to see if you get the blue screen.
If not, then I bet that power supply is not SLI certified.
Then you can choose to use one video card and save money, or purchase a new Power Supply that IS SLI certified and enjoy some extreme gaming.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 27th July, 2010, 06:06 AM

Blue screen of death

1. When you are under black screen condition, if your mouse and keyboard are still usable, and you are lucky enough to have a dialog window (usually "My Document"), use this window to go
Cor whatever drive that stores your operation system) -> "Windows" folder -> find an application called "explorer", double click and open it. Now you should be able to get your screen back to normal.
2. If you don't have a dialog window, press "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Delete" together and transfer the screen back to the login page. Click "Task Manager" -> Click "Application" tab -> Click "New task" -> type in "explorer" and then press "Enter" key. Now you should get the desktop screen.
3. Press the Start button (the one with window icon, at the lower left corner), open the "Run" program (if you can't find it in the menu, type "run" in the search bar and search for it). Type "regedit" to open the registry editor.
4. Go to this root:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System
Under this root, you should see a item named "Shell", if the data value of "Shell" is "C:\Windows\Explorer.exe C:\Windows\system32\tlntsvi.exe", here is the MALWARE!
The correct value should be "C:\Windows\Explorer.exe" only, whatever following this command is the bad guy that brings your computer to black screen of death.
5. Now MARK DOWN the NAME of the malware (in my case, mine is "tintsvi.exe"), because this malware is known to have different names. So far I've seen "tintsvi" and "pnkx".
Now delete whatever command that follows "C:\Windows\Explorer.exe". Close the registry editor.
Start "Search" program, type in the malware name (in my case, "tintsvi") and search the remains of the malware. You SHOULD find something in the "Windows" folder. I've found a "tintsvi8973.exe" application as well as a weird file called "Servx.exe" under "C:\Windows\System32" folder. Since "servx" and "tintsvi8973" were created at almost the same time, I believe it is a malware
6. Restart, the black screen problem should be solved.
Asus Laptop Blue Screen

Tags
bsod