AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th January, 2010, 09:57 PM
AOA Staff

Some Success Some Other Issues

The old machine made it through the LAN party!
I did have some issues that I have not experienced in my network and on that machine.
We played:
1. Half-Life 2 deathmatch
2. The Ship
3. Smoking Guns
4. Battlefield 2
5. Team Fortress 2

They all ran pretty good.
The old machine did lock up twice. Once during setup before the LAN party and once during the gaming.
Strange this is... I could only shut down by pressing the power button. The mouse would still work but nothing else.

The other symptom was very strange stuttering in the games. I noticed it with every game that night. I have never seen that before in a 100Mbps LAN party.

Ironicly I was reading an article in CPU magazine and the writer mentioned a chipset dying.
So I was thinking these problems are not related to Windows, Games, Drivers or software.... at least from all the troubleshooting I have been through.

I wonder if the chipset is overheating or just plain dying?

I don't want to replace the motherboard but that would still be cheaper than purchasing a whole new computer.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th March, 2010, 07:59 PM
AOA Staff

I'm not sure if any of you are still interested in my old P4 machine issues, but I found a new symptom.. per se....

My earlier posts mention a lockup on the machine. Totally random and can usually be caused by copy/paste through the network....

This last week I tried it again because I was installing Unreal Tournament 2004 and what do ya know? it actually copied a 900 MB file without locking up!

So I restarted and tried some more test and what do ya know? it locked up again!

But I noticed Windows was still running. It wasn't crashing but the mouse & keyboard were unusable.

I though, hmmm is the network port still running?

So I hopped on my Linux and used VNC to log into that machine and BAM! it worked. I could use the mouse & keyboard from my Linux but not on the actuall machine.

So strange!

I finished installing the game and shut it down....
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2010, 01:52 AM
AOA Staff

Update. I got ahold of an MSI Socket 939 motherboard with a PCI-Express slot. So I upgraded and now everything is working great. That ECS board is in my archive for now.
Specs:
MSI K8NGM2-NBP GeForce 6150 Athlon 64
Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor (Venice)
1 Gig DDR 400 (PC 3200)
GeForce 7900 GS
Gigabit ethernet

Not a huge upgrade, but at least the menopause is finally gone.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 3rd November, 2010, 06:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Interested yes. Posses a memory that would permit me to help you...no....":O}

Glad you found improvement Boo!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 3rd November, 2010, 10:31 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

ECS...phew...
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 11th October, 2011, 09:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Wonder if that chipset was experiencing hot flashes?
Old 11th October, 2011, 10:00 PM
AOA Staff

Do you mean Figuratively or Literally?
as in... maybe it was overheating?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 13th October, 2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
maybe it was overheating?
Sounds possible as if it were temperature issues with the Northbridge. Had something similar a long time back due to a fan I had added on the passive NB sink. It was unknowingly disconnected for a couple weeks after a cleanout resulting in it getting too warm to touch under any load. Issues being Lockups, data stream errors, memory corruption, net instability, stuttered/choppy functionality, and just plain BSOD's. Reconnecting the fan of course resolved it but it gave food for thought on how critical that one bridge is for overall functionality as it seemed everything literally ran through it.

Somewhat makes sense considering that it would be fine for the longer term after a cool-down period basing off the other posts.

AOA Team fah
Folding 24/7/365 under low-power conditions.
There's no excuse to not fold, so get to it!
Old 13th October, 2011, 05:17 PM
AOA Staff

you know what Chozo4? I think you are on to something.
I bet the new AGP video card is just too much for the chipset to handle... Its amazing that they are still making AGP cards and still running them faster. That old board is probably overheating the chipset and causing all of the problems I had been having.
I'm curious what would happen if I put it in another computer and used an older video again.... would it work just fine?
I may do it in the future to refurbish the motherboard.
I do have a CPU, memory, video card and everything else....
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 16th October, 2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
you know what Chozo4? I think you are on to something.
I bet the new AGP video card is just too much for the chipset to handle... Its amazing that they are still making AGP cards and still running them faster. That old board is probably overheating the chipset and causing all of the problems I had been having.
I'm curious what would happen if I put it in another computer and used an older video again.... would it work just fine?
I may do it in the future to refurbish the motherboard.
I do have a CPU, memory, video card and everything else....
You /Could/ give it a shot and see how it goes. Long as the board still has life and you have the parts to give it a shot you cannot say you never tried.

Though, personally - the first thing I usually do is install small fans on any built-on heatsinks on my boards with a couple small screws between the fins. Call me paranoid for doing so but even though they may be passive the extra cooling does help dissipate the heat a little bit faster. Try that first at least to see if it increases stability at all. Just when doing so, be careful of any metal-dust from the heatsink[s] as the screws will thread into the fins depending on how solid they are.

Furthermore, if they are removable [the heatsinks] and not applied with thermal epoxy one could always remove them and replace the stock Thermal Paste with a thin layer of AS5, MX-2, Shinetsu, or otherwise. This could mitigate any possible heat buildup if the paste has gone dry from crud stock paste [or pads] or contains bubbles from it being improperly applied.

The way I see it, a cool board is a happy board. Especially since during operation passive heatsinks on the chipsets can get too hot to touch with bare fingers and that always gives me reason to be alarmed. When combined with the idea that if it gets that hot the heatsink probably just simply isn't able to keep up with the heat output... it makes one a bit paranoid.

AOA Team fah
Folding 24/7/365 under low-power conditions.
There's no excuse to not fold, so get to it!

Last edited by Chozo4; 16th October, 2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 17th October, 2011, 03:40 AM
AOA Staff

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I have always tried to keep components extra cool. I even take off stock Video Card heatsinks & fans, then apply some Arctic Silver. Usually stock comes with a little square pad instead of real paste.
This is an older Socket 478 board, so there should be plenty of old HS&Fan combos out there to do an upgrade.
But its pretty low on my priorities right now, in time...
What will probably happen is a friend will need a motherboard or a refurbished computer and I'll pop the ECS in there and do the testing then.
So hopefully by then I'll remember which board was having the issues.

Thanks for the tips
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 22nd December, 2011, 10:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

All's well that ends well? Hope so!
Old 26th April, 2012, 09:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Alluding to the title of this thread, wouldn't Menostop be more accurate than Menopause? Whatever you call it, it's hard on a woman. Wait a sec, does that sound right? Probably not!

Tags
1335 error , 2350.fdi , via ethernet