AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12th February, 2010, 08:11 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Exclamation HP Pavilion dv5

A friend of mine from work had lost her laptop as in it's no longer working. I will start by telling you guys what I did so far.

1. Tested the laptop with 1 piece of memory in it
2. Removed the CR2032E
3. Checked this page Troubleshooting Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot HP Pavilion dv5-1120ed Entertainment Notebook PC - HP technical support (Russian Federation - English)
4. Checked this video which comes in handy YouTube - How to take apart your HP Pavilion DV5 Laptop Timelapse

So far no go and from the blink codes the one that matches is 1 Caps Lock/Num Lock CPU CPU not functional

My question is do I open up the laptop to extract the cpu and clean dust and put it back in or its not worth the hassle?

She said she was downloading some stuff when the mouse stopped responding and she was not using the battery (god knows why) so the laptop was on AC and when she saw she could not restart the PC (the keyboard was working she didn't knew how to restart it from kb) she just unplugged the laptop. After that the laptop didn't start again. Lights come on DVD is spinning as in checking for disc but thats all.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 12th February, 2010 at 08:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2010, 10:07 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Unplanned shutdown shouldn't have killed anything unless she managed to spike the power somehow.

In the short term, shove the HD in a caddy and access it from another machine. You might be some time fixing or replacing the laptop.

If it's got a socketed CPU you've the option of re-seating it and/or swapping it out for another of the same type. You might be able to sneak an upgrade in, too...
Old 12th February, 2010, 10:50 PM
Benchmarker

I think it's a socketed AMD inside so I am going to try to resocket. Thanks for the advice man !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2010, 11:35 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Ah, an egg-fryer. Have fun
Old 16th February, 2010, 09:14 PM
AOA Staff

The lights & DVD tell you it is receiving power. But no BIOS or splash screen?
When its ON.... will the Caps Lock or Num Lock keys turn their appropriate lights on and off?
If not, then the CPU may be gone, but we wall know CPU's are not normally the problem.

I would definitely reccomend blowing out the dust and making sure the CPU fan is spinning. It may be overheating...

Let us know what you do.... I'm curious
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 18th February, 2010, 09:59 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The irony of the blink codes, is that for them to show, the CPU has to be working enough. The BIOS is executed on the CPU, so no CPU -> no checks.
Old 18th February, 2010, 12:08 PM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
The irony of the blink codes, is that for them to show, the CPU has to be working enough. The BIOS is executed on the CPU, so no CPU -> no checks.
I haven't got around to clean it and reseating the CPU so I do have a bit of hope that somehow it will come back to life! TY Áedán

Old 26th February, 2010, 08:11 PM
AOA Staff

any success yet?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 12th March, 2010, 01:45 AM

Lightbulb DV5 blink code Diagnostics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum but id like to share my knowledge on this situation as Ive had the exact same problem.

I own a DV5-1125nr (the Bronze edition) and it is in this exact same scenario. For me, it started with a defective heatsink which was causing my entire computer to shut down after like 20 minutes due to heat problems. The computer was working fine at this point.
Tore apart the laptop, replacing the heatsink, and checking to make sure no other part of the computer was contributing to heat issues. Nothing else appeared to be wrong, so i buttoned it back up and then i received the consistent blink error.
Did lots of research, and according to HP, it means the CPU is defective. (Aedan, while i agree with your statement, it is NOT true in the case of this HP problem. I bench-tested the MB with no CPU and the blink codes still appear, which means the error reporting system is CPU-independent) so i ordered a new CPU, in the meantime upgrading it to a better one. After i replaced the CPU, same thing. Replaced memory as well, that was not the problem. Continued to have blink codes.
Next thought would be the motherboard. Bought a new MB and replaced the supposedly "bad" MB with the "good" motherboard. didn't change a thing. both boards have the same result. Constant blinking of Caps/num lock lights. I was VERY unhappy. tried several different compatible hardware combos with no luck on any of them.

I finally gave up and actually took my computer to a repair shop to get it fixed. (i felt like a total idiot) The shop i took it to is independently owned by a guy in like his mid 20s who works on laptops ONLY, so id figure he'd be better to go to that a traditional repair shop.
When i got there i explained to him the problems i was experiencing, and the reply i got was interesting. First, he thanked me for bringing it in because 1 week ago, he received a DV7 equivalent model having the same problem. He could not (and still cannot) figure it out. My computer must have "confirmed" that he wasn't seeing things. So obviously this is a somewhat common problem. I have yet to get it back, but until then I'm stuck using my netbook (also HP) which works for now, but as you probably know a netbook can only go so far before you need a full-sized notebook. (i use lots of intensive applications; put on hold until laptop repaired)

Just thought I'd share my self-diagnostic results with you guys in hopes of helping you solve the problem. If you do manage to solve it, please let me know as I am eager to get my laptop back to working order

If I hear any information from the shop about fixing it, ill repost to inform you of it.

Thanks,
Corey
Old 12th March, 2010, 01:51 AM
AOA Staff

Welcome to AOA forums!
Thank you for your information about the same situation.
Please let us know what the Tech says once he figures it out.
I'm curious what it could be.... since you practicly replaced everything
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 13th March, 2010, 03:44 AM

possible solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
Welcome to AOA forums!
Thank you for your information about the same situation.
Please let us know what the Tech says once he figures it out.
I'm curious what it could be.... since you practicly replaced everything
I found a solution from a user on the HP forums. I didnt try it yet since i dont have it in my possession but i sent it to the laptop tech just as kind of a pointer. he's never seen this problem before so i figured he would appreciate the tips.

This particular HP user states that the following procedure (tested multiple times) FIXES the problem: (quoted below)

"First I take out all the ram and then turn it on. (of course it will not work)
Turn it off.
Then take out the processor and turn it on. (careful)
Turn off.
Put the processor back in and turn it on.(still no work)
Turn off.
Put the ram back in and turn on."

He (the HP forum user) claims this works, but i find it hard to believe that it would, simply with a special sequence of HW changes. but like they say, Extreme situations call for extreme measures. This is most certainly an extreme situation. Nobody would have thought that this would work, but maybe it does who knows.
LINK: h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/dv5-1002nr-fix-for-black-screen-and-2-blinking-lights/m-p/213318
I sent that guy's suggestion to the tech rep at the laptop repair shop. He told me that he has another laptop to repair just like mine (DV7 instead of DV5, but still same series) that has the same issue. His reply is quoted below:

"Hi Corey - thanks for your email!

It turns out that swapping the CPU for the DV7 we were working on for another customer actually did the trick.

I will go back through the diagnostic procedures for your DV5 and see if I can tell you anything new. Will try the method in that link, though if it entails ripping the laptop open every time it decides to fail, it may become quite tiresome for you.

I will let you know what happens! Thanks!"

What he is saying is he took MY processor and placed it in another customers DV7 and it fixed the blink issue. This puts another whole twist on the problem. the CPU is clearly not the issue, yet HP says it is.

Also for kicks, refer to this article from HP about blink codes. According to them the CPU is bad. Clearly not, in my case.
LINK: h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&tmp_task=solveCategory& lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3795326

That is all the info i have for you so far. will keep you posted on anything new.
Old 13th March, 2010, 04:09 AM
AOA Staff

Thats crazy.
Sounds like a wives-tale...
hop backwards, tap your head and count to 100, then it will work.
I'm glad the tech swapped CPU, the process of elmimination is usually a good place to start, but I know you already did that (except the CPU's of course).
Keep us updated.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 13th March, 2010, 04:54 AM

CPU swap

Quote:
Thats crazy.
Sounds like a wives-tale...
hop backwards, tap your head and count to 100, then it will work.
I'm glad the tech swapped CPU, the process of elmimination is usually a good place to start, but I know you already did that (except the CPU's of course).
Keep us updated.
Actually, i did do that. i bought a new processor with the same socket (upgrading it to a better clock speed) and i plugged it in with no luck. NEW processor, OLD board. now i take the OLD processor NEW board, no luck. NEW processor NEW board, same thing. with the given combo of hardware, i cant believe that it worked in a DV7! I'm all for HP's laptop design on the outside, but their hardware quality outright sucks. techs shouldnt have to go through all of these hurdles to repair them. Such a shame.

Yes i will keep you updated as soon as the guy gets back with me. I might stop there tomorrow to give the guy my ORIGINAL board and CPU, as a laptop motherboard without the rest of the parts is completely useless to me. I will also see if he can take a processor from another PC (possibly that same DV7) and put it in mine to see if it fixes it. At this point, its anybodys guess...
Old 13th March, 2010, 05:08 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
I'm all for HP's laptop design on the outside, but their hardware quality outright sucks. techs shouldnt have to go through all of these hurdles to repair them. Such a shame.
You nailed it!
I have seen it over and over with Toshiba, Dell, HP, EMachine and the list goes on.
But I can't convince people to build their own and actually purchase decent hardware that will last them over a decade.....
But at the same time, techs need to make a living....
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 13th March, 2010, 09:24 AM
Benchmarker

Well I could not bring it back to life. After searching the web it appears that has nothing to do with a "user" fault. From now on I will tell my friends/customers to stay away from HP !

Old 13th March, 2010, 09:36 AM

Smile

Quote:
You nailed it!
I have seen it over and over with Toshiba, Dell, HP, EMachine and the list goes on.
But I can't convince people to build their own and actually purchase decent hardware that will last them over a decade.....
But at the same time, techs need to make a living....
Personally HP is the only one ive actually worked with that has had FREQUENT HW failures. The DV5 was especially famous for burning up. (mine did, which prompted me to fix the fan/HS, eventually leading to its "temporary?" death)

I remember back in 06 when good old XP was replaced with Vista, we saw a new line of HPs, most famously the dv6000. This was by far their most popular laptop. However, every pro has its con. They had MANY motherboards fail prematurely, leading to its discontinuation and onto the dv4,5,7 model's release, only further proving that they had not learned their lesson the first time. Same problem, less frequent, but with other "side" problems in addition. Again, put on the chopping block and replaced with the current black models of dv4t,6t,7t,8t series. Personally i really like these black ones (there identical to my current bronze one just with a different color) EXCEPT 1 thing: no backlit keyboard. They had put this feature on the HDX series, but none of the others. apparently they're behind the times because it sure seems like every other manufacturer offers the backlit keyboard. Yes, even apple.

Didnt mean to get off topic but its just my 2c. The only issues ive seen in Toshibas, Dells, lenovos, etc. etc. is a poor software architecture. Ive really never had to tear them apart at all, letalone GUT the entire computer to fix internal hardware----NEVER. only on HPs. The only issue i have with their software structure would be bloatware (typical with all PCs, but it really causes annoyances, as well as getting me business $$$ so it really goes both ways. With windows 7, i dont have to worry anymore about preserving a fast bootloader--its just naturally fast. XP/Vista i had to constantly watch how much stuff i put on it because the bootloader would eventually become very slow...such a hassle.

Hope HP switches mobo mfrs. some time soon. I really want a brand new HP w/backlight (have the money saved) but i am definitely not paying for this to happen. Despite all this im still drawn onto their external design. Sleek and artsy.

I guess only time can tell...
Old 13th March, 2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Well I could not bring it back to life. After searching the web it appears that has nothing to do with a "user" fault. From now on I will tell my friends/customers to stay away from HP !
It IS possible to repair it. The tech guy at my local laptop repair shop managed to fix 2 of these (a dv7 and a dv5 simply by swapping out processors.)

Yes this is most certainly not a user fault and seems to be a CPU failure. Not sure how much you tinkered with changing the CPU but from what ive heard HP has been sending out some defective chips from the factory.....eek. My tech guy proved that to be true.
Old 15th March, 2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyX64 View Post
"First I take out all the ram and then turn it on. (of course it will not work)
Turn it off.
Then take out the processor and turn it on. (careful)
Turn off.
Put the processor back in and turn it on.(still no work)
Turn off.
Put the ram back in and turn on."
I have the same "CPU not functional" error for HP TX2500. The mentioned sequence didn't work for me, but this one did:

1 - taking out CPU with RAM present (if I do it also without RAM, at the end of these steps would not work), start
2 - Off
3 - Putting it back in, start

This fixed my laptop, but only for couple of days. Now it's down again and I'm not looking forward to dissemble and assemble it again.

Are there any developments that would lead to permanent solution of the problem?
Old 17th March, 2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didzis View Post
I have the same "CPU not functional" error for HP TX2500. The mentioned sequence didn't work for me, but this one did:

1 - taking out CPU with RAM present (if I do it also without RAM, at the end of these steps would not work), start
2 - Off

This fixed my laptop, but only for couple of days. Now it's down again and I'm not looking forward to dissemble and assemble it again.

Are there any developments that would lead to permanent solution of the problem?
not yet. im still right where you are in progress. may be a week or 2 before i hear back from the tech rep...but when he does get back with me ill see how he fixed it.

Just FYI, although this may very well not be the problem but im just throwing it out there. Your CPU die truly may be defective, as HP has been proven to sell bad dies to customers right out of the factory. the laptop repair guy i took mine to said he fixed a dv7 with the same problem by replacing the processor.

in no way am i telling you to replace it, as it may be a perfectly good CPU. we dont know at this point in time. the only true way to determine that is to stick your CPU in a non-HP laptop, and boot. however this is very improbable in our case, but im just saying that would be our only hard proof. if you want, you could possibly find one on ebay for dirt cheap that is a good one. just be sure it is the same socket (AMD socket S1).

i will let you know if i hear anything and wish you luck on fixing your problem. i havent got any further on mine, so were all in the same boat here.

- Corey -

Last edited by CoreyX64; 17th March, 2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 17th March, 2010, 08:56 AM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didzis View Post

2 - Off

Well what I can say beside that its unacceptable. They should receive as much negative publicity for so many ppl with so many bad laptops as possible ! This isnt anymore an isolated case of bad design.

Tags
laptop , no power