AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th April, 2002, 10:17 PM

P.C. shocking me and the 5v rail is being damaged (mobo)

Ok I have two pc's that are very similar...

Main rig - Antec SX800 w/ ANtec 400w
Epox 8k7a w/XP 1600+ @1.74ghz w/ 2100 DDR
ATI Radeon 8500

Folder - Antec SX800 w/ Antec 400w
Epox 8k7a w/XP 1600+@1.65ghz w/ 2100 DDR
Leadtek GF2 ultra

Ok a few weeks ago my main rig was using a bong water cooler setup and I had my 1600+ @ 1.76ghz. I was doing something to the pc and when I was leaning against the pc case I got shocked. This wasnt a static shock like you get with from someone dragging their feet this was a real shock like when you forget to turn off a braker and rip into a wall socket but this was a little less deadly. Well the 5v rail and 12v rails had tanked so on the main rig so I tried switching the psu from the backup rig thinking it took a crap but I got the same voltages. I eventually switched the mobo and found it to be the problem. I switched the psu just top be safe and the 5v rails were great I was back up to 1.85ghz. Well the other day I was putting a new setup together to cool the main rig and I leaned against the pc and got shocked again shortly after the 5v rail tanked. Now I have two messed up mobo's do you think it could be the case or the surge protecter or what???
Old 29th April, 2002, 01:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

You could be shorting the motherboard If:
1. You have extra standoffs
2. You have a loose wire shorting out
3. Something esle like a cdrom/floppy is grounding the 5vline on the case-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th April, 2002, 12:27 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

First things first.

Check the grounding on the PC!
Put your PSU back in the machine, so that it's attached properly.
Check the grounding from the case of the PC to the IEC power socket on the back of the PSU, then from the case to the ground pin on the power cable. If you can, ensure that the ground at the wall is ok.

Check the grounding on all the watercooling components.

If you were leaning against the PC, it's possible that a live wire could be loose somewhere internally. Throwing 110(240)VAC across the ground line will upset many things, most certainly the motherboard.

AidanII