AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th August, 2010, 09:37 PM

Thumbs down New ASUS P5Q Turbo is a BAD Lemon! RMA time!!!

Looks like this ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo mobo got a serious problem I can't resolve at all as I've tried everything I can think of.

The problem: It likes to randomly shut down the system & reboot when under stress!
It won't run 3DMark Vantage at all!
This is with everything set to default settings & voltages so I know it's not a OC problem at all & I've tested the RAM & it shows no errors at all...

Not to mention the FSB limit is 1420MHz at default voltage! (1.20v-65nm CPU) Its supposed to be able to run at 1600...
Also it will not bootup with a 400 FSB strap frequency & the CMOS has to be cleared before it will after trying that so somethings not right somewhere.

Oh well...I just hope the replacement works like it's supposed to & at least doesn't shutdown on me when I'm gaming at default CPU clocks & voltages!

It's a real pisser when your in the middle of a intense battle & it shuts off & reboots! RRR

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 9th August, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th August, 2010, 10:34 PM
AOA Staff

Checked the PSU is all good?
Old 10th August, 2010, 01:56 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

I'd get with WeldZilla before you RMA. He runs a slew of P5s including a P5Q and may have some advice.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 10th August, 2010 at 01:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th August, 2010, 10:19 PM

Arrow

I'll check with Weldzilla when I get the replacement back as it's already gone!
It had other problems too like not wanting to come out of S3 sleep & having to reboot, then go into the bios & hit F10, then Enter before it would boot back up!

I've never had a system do what this mobo is doing & I know the PSU is good as it's never really been stressed as it's a 100w overpowered for my system. Its a ThermalTake ToughPower 80% + 750w PSU!
If it still shuts down & restarts when gaming then I'll have the PSU check, but hopefully I'll get the other one I won soon as it's been almost 2 weeks since they announced me as a GP winner.

I hope I get the new Cooler Master V6 GT cooler & the 80 PLUS Gold 1200w PSU before I get the mobo back so I can install those with it!
That PSU & cooler are much better than what I'm using now!

Old 13th August, 2010, 12:11 PM

Nice to hear that muff1n

Thats great news, RMA'd my ram once. But OCZ are the best honoured the warranty for me. hehehe
Old 13th August, 2010, 09:32 PM

Angry Newegg ******* me on the RMA!!! Sending it back Damaged!!!!

Get a load of this crap...
Not only is Newegg not going to replace the Brand New mobo I just got from them a week ago because it was defective, but on top of it they are sending it back with a DAMAGED CPU SOCKET!!! WTF!!!
Can you believe that *****!
I even took the time to put extra packing material in the box so it wouldn't be damaged during shipping.
Whoever damaged the socket at Newegg inspections just blamed me for doing it
so they wouldn't have to take the loss on the mobo & so they'd save their own neck & job! RRRRR Mad? Beyond mad!!!

Needless to say they've permanently lost all future business from me by doing this!
Too bad to as I liked shopping there.
Now I have to send the mobo back to the manufacturer (ASUS) to be repaired or replaced which I'm sure will cost more $$$...

I've already ordered a replacement for it via TigerDirect so I won't do without my good computer system for more than another week.
Now I'll have 2 P5Q Pro Turbo mobos, so if one goes bad I can stick the other one in while waiting for the other to be repaired or replaced.

I guess this is the bad that goes with the good of winning those HW prizes from Cooler Master, hell of a note...

Last edited by MUff1N; 13th August, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 14th August, 2010, 01:41 AM

Talking Sometimes a very stern email will get results!!!

When I got the Newegg email stating they weren't going to honor my RMA & told me that I damaged the CPU socket before I sent it back to them I was fit to be tied!!!
Because I was no longer going to do any business with them I decided a firm email to their RMA Department was worth a shot!

Well guess what? They decided to make & exception in my case & honor the RMA replacement & send me back a new mobo!

Letter below & the response I received back from Newegg:

My Message to Newegg: To whom this may concern;
I was recently informed via email that a motherboard I return had the CPU socket damage by me before I returned it for replacement! (THIS IS FALSE)
I took extra care in the placement of the protective socket cover & packing of the motherboard to make SURE that it wouldn't be damaged during the return shipment...
Whoever there that was responsible for damaging the socket once it got there during the inspection process decided instead of taking the blame for the damage, they put it on me instead to save their job!
So because of this unfortunate action (for Newegg) I WILL NO LONGER BE DOING ANY KIND OF BUSINESS WITH YOUR COMPANY FROM NOW ON OR IN THE FUTURE!
I hope this was worth forgoing all the money I was planning on spending at Newegg.

Two returned response emails on the RMA letter I wrote to them...

Email 1:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.
I apologize for the inconvenience, however, I will see what we can do to have this situation resolved for you.
Newegg is going to make an exception and send you a replacement.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page. If you still need assistance, please feel free to email me directly and I will be happy to assist you.

Email 2:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks again for shopping at Newegg.com.

We recently received your RMA and your return was then sent to our Inspections Department for closer examination. We are pleased to inform you that your return has passed inspection. Please allow a further 2-3 business days for your RMA to process fully. We know your time is very valuable; please accept our humblest apologies for any inconvenience resulting from the delay.

IF YOUR RMA WAS SENT TO NEWEGG FOR:

- Replacement, Please allow 2 business days for your replacement item(s) to ship.

- Refund, it will take approximately 2-6 business days for Newegg to process the transaction and your card issuer to make the funds available to you.

Thanks again for your patience and patronage.

If you have any questions or concerns, please direct your inquiries to rmabackorder@newegg.com or call 1-800-390-1119 during regular business hours for immediate assistance.

Kindest regards,

Newegg.com
RMA Inspections Department

So sometimes it does pay to take the time to write a firm email!

Last edited by MUff1N; 14th August, 2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 29th August, 2010, 06:17 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
Checked the PSU is all good?
I think you hit it dead on & the PSU was the problem & also what ended up killing my Badaxe 2 mobo!
Every test that made the system shut off & restart before is gone now that I've replaced the PSU with the new CoolerMaster 800w Silent Pro GOLD!

Also, the whole system is so much more stable than it was before & OCing is a breeze!
This E8400 is at 4.0GHz with a vcore of 1.31875v & stable.
I'm sure this will do 4GHz with 1.312v...
I just have to test it out & do some stress testing after to verify...

Edit: Done & now running at 4GHz!

Last edited by MUff1N; 1st September, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 5th September, 2010, 12:57 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

All's well that ends well! Glad that they did the right thing after attempting to.. what's the word?
Old 6th September, 2010, 08:16 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
All's well that ends well! Glad that they did the right thing after attempting to.. what's the word?
LMAO!!! Too funny cloasters!

Old 7th September, 2010, 07:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I have seen the future.... (in another post).

You will one day LOVE this board!

As this is my first attempt at using posts to travel though time, Let me know how accurate I am!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th September, 2010, 01:55 PM

Talking

Ah man...you guys just crack me up!!!

Old 8th September, 2010, 06:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Right back at cha! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th December, 2010, 09:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

In this thread after finding fault with two high end m'boards in rapid succession, I thought it might be a PSU problem. I'm glad that you sussed it out, we far prefer a happy MUff1N in the neighborhood. Whaddaya mean this is two dollars and a month late?
Old 26th January, 2011, 09:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sometimes I'll get sidetracked by a problem and into a thicket of stuff that seems valid. When it's a different component altogether that's at fault, the cheeks redden sometimes.
Old 17th June, 2011, 09:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

We laugh together! And why not?
Old 22nd June, 2011, 04:55 PM

Thumbs up Still running at 4GHz...

As an update to this thread since you posted on it...(don't know why...)
I'm still up & running at 4GHz & my system is running very strong with GREAT gaming performance!
With Crysis 2 running on Extreme setting I average 60 FPS!
Attached Thumbnails
New ASUS P5Q Turbo is a BAD Lemon! RMA time!!!-intel-e8400-4018mhz-2008-fsb.jpg   New ASUS P5Q Turbo is a BAD Lemon! RMA time!!!-3dmark-vantage-4.0ghz-36-oc-p23591 P23591- GPU 20109 CPU 49088 (XG-270.61).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	25614   New ASUS P5Q Turbo is a BAD Lemon! RMA time!!!-crysis2-2011-06-06-07-47  

Old 22nd June, 2011, 07:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

As you know...(I think you know?) I have one as well, still doing a great job!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 24th June, 2011, 08:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You said that you loved this mainboard last September, I'm glad that you're both happy customers now!
Old 24th June, 2011, 08:54 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
As you know...(I think you know?) I have one as well, still doing a great job!
I'm glad your mobo is still up & running Dan as these are almost impossible to find [new] at a decent price anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
You said that you loved this mainboard last September, I'm glad that you're both happy customers now!
I don't exactly "Love" it, but its doing a good job for all around gaming & that's what I needed it for as long as it keeps running that is...

Speaking of which I was smart enough to buy 2 of these mobos before they were deactivated at the Egg & TigerD
& no longer available for sale, so I still got a "brand new" [tested & working] mobo sitting in a box ready to install when my current one finally dies.
Hopefully that won't be for some years to come yet.

Last edited by MUff1N; 24th June, 2011 at 08:57 PM.

Tags
asus motherboard