AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th April, 2011, 04:42 AM

BIG mobo probs!

I don't know if anyone of you have attempted this before successfully or otherwise but I just bought a custom from a guy and one month after I got it one day I turned the sucker on and immediately after all the splash screens were finished and the desktop finished loading i made one click of my mouse(ONE CLICK!)and suddenly had about oh... 150 200 black pixels all over the screen so I imediately shut 'er down and opened it to find 4count, four capacitors all the same size all the biggest ones in the box, blown,like bulging and rusty and thought to myself, Am I going to get another mobo? or actually try my hand at replacing these caps. So, I got on the phone to a well recommended company in the u.s. (DigiKey Corp.)bought the $4.00 money order and sent it away to them and they sent me an E-Invoice,printed it off today which had told me exactly where my order was and when I shouuld recieve it which will prob. be tomorrow or the next. I've already got myself a soldering kit, flux and an antistatic wrist wrap plus a heat sinkclamp for those heat sensitive parts.
Now if anyone knows about this area of computing and dare I call it modding?...mmm...Naw repair; then I need some input like I checked all the other caps and none of them are bulging or leaking at all and nothing else has burn marks around the solder joints or anywhere else for that matter, It was just those 4 caps but is this going to be as simple as soldering them back in and away we go...? or is this the start of a domino effect? or even could it have ruined stuff I cant see? As far as the people at digikey told me was that it should be as easy as replacing them cause thats what thy're designed to do is protect other components by blowing during a surge or overheating and cut off the current as to protect the rest!
So, anyone with knowlege in this subject please let me know what ya got k? Cause its a really new motherboard and a good one too! I don't want to have to buy another one!!!!! thnx!!

Last edited by uughzee; 12th April, 2011 at 04:46 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2011, 05:01 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Isn't the thing still under warranty? If it were me and it failed that soon after I purchased it, I'd be leaning on the people I got it from to fix it. For a mobo to fail only 30 days in is both unusual and highly suspicious.

For it to fail with blown caps suggests that either it was a shoddy/used mobo to start with, or the PSU is going south (probably already gone).

Either way, I'd lean on the people you bought it from. Now way is failing after 30 days acceptable, unless it was purchased with the full knowledge that it was 'as is'.

As far as replacing the caps themselves, yah that's pretty easy. Take a look at this guide: http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c...epox-8rda.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2011, 11:27 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

If you've only had it 30 day, you shouldn't have too many issues getting it replaced.

Out of interest, what PSU are you using? Is it branded?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 13th April, 2011, 12:19 AM

yeah but I got it used in a private sale so there's not much I can do 'bout warranty but the psu is as I have been told 'Notorious' for blowing motherboards.Its an antec smart power 450.
so after I get this capacitor thing taken care of I should probably hold off on using it until I find a good psu??
How can I test it for probs.? the power supply, that is.

thnx 4 the help guys,,,Uughzee

Last edited by uughzee; 13th April, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 13th April, 2011, 05:58 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Dunno about the Antec being 'notorious' for blowing mobos. I've had a couple of them and never had problems with them.

If you got the thing used, then I'm doubtful the PSU killed the mobo; more likely the mobo was already on its last legs.

What kind of kit is this? (Mobo, cpu, video, ram, drives).

Likely if the mobo caps are shot, the PSU probably should be replaced (or recapped) simply because both it an the mobo are the probably the same age and in about the same condition.
Old 14th April, 2011, 01:41 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by uughzee View Post
the psu is as I have been told 'Notorious' for blowing motherboards.
Did the guy you bought the mobo from tell you that?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 14th April, 2011, 02:49 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch View Post
Did the guy you bought the mobo from tell you that?
If so, I could smell a rat. Nowadays, 450W is kinda small.
Old 9th August, 2011, 08:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Day late and two dollars short, did your nightmare of a PC straighten up and fly right? After you fixed it, that is.
Old 9th October, 2011, 08:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Only The Shadow knows? Cue spooky music. Halloween is coming, I'm just early.
Old 5th December, 2011, 11:11 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Best of luck uughzee, hope you have a working box nowadays!
Old 16th December, 2011, 04:11 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hope we were of some help. He or she never listed their components, it's always something.