AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th January, 2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
40A Corsair and 40A Roswell aren't the same.

Most PSU's state their ratings at ~20-25C, and many brands will be 40-60% of stated rating at a real operating temp 60-70C. Corsair will still be over 100%, and it is $5 cheaper.

If you check some of the PSU tests around, you will see even high performance modern systems don't use more than about 350w when running. 40A on the 12V rail for the Corsair will be more than your rig will ever use, even if you maxed out all of the slots with HDD's, PCI card, etc. even on boot.

In fact this PSU would handle your rig with ease: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Then use the difference to get that UPS.

EDIT:
The other advantage of a UPS with a line conditioner - on start up of appliances connected to it, it doesn't transmit the initial current surge to the mains line - may save some sanity.
I took a look into that corsair and while it's a nice supply, I cannot use it based on the connector count which is 1 PCI-E connector, 3 Molex, and a bunch of Sata connectors. I have no sata devices and would have to sacrifice 2 of the molex for a second PCI-E connector which would leave me with 1 molex to share between 1 hard disk, 2 cd-rom drives, 1 5.25" floppy, and a total of 5-6 fans for additional system and chassis cooling.

To compensate, I would have to buy additional sata to molex adaptors for around $6-$10 each which which would make it cost as much as a higher priced supply. I could get cheaper but won't because if I learnt one thing is to never buy stuff from hongkong when molex are concerned. The molex connectors and pins are both cheap and flimsy from them I've found and already have connectivity issues with the one I have due to the molex holes that hold the pins being too large and the pins too thin.

Now, while I have taken to heart the suggestions I will have to stick with Rosewill once more. Rosewill is trying to redeem themself as they've come out with their new 80+GOLD CAPSTONE series, which is based off the OEM 'SuperFlower' [which I've been itching to try and use]. Previously they were based off the OEM 'ATNG' [like the one of mine that went kaput] which has generally poor reviews across the board as an OEM brand.

I've decided to invest in the following supply:
Newegg.com - Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650 650W Continuous @ 50°C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active - PFC Power Supply

Review of the 750w unit which is the same platform:
Rosewill Capstone 750W Review

The next tier up of them [the 750watt] got recommendations from JohnnyGuru already based on the [lack of] voltage fluctuations both normally and in the Hotbox [~1% difference @ 58C] with little change. So it has shown the platform can last at the 50c and higher it is rated for and being the capstone series is using [mostly] japanese capacitors save for the the few NCC-KY ones I have faith in their longevity. It comes with a 5year warranty as well so there is plenty of time to give it a run for its' money at the very least and maybe renew any faith I once had in them. I know the extra power would be considered overkill but then as capacitors age over time from use they become somewhat less effective with power output. So, I'd figured that if I get something that's well more than I need it will keep being effective for a longer time.

Also, Line Conditioning and the like, APC supplies are good for that right? Was looking at the ones with Gain/Trim at the very least. Were there any other specific features that I should look for specifically based on the details listed by them?

AOA Team fah
Folding 24/7/365 under low-power conditions.
There's no excuse to not fold, so get to it!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!