AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2011, 04:14 AM

Anybody seen this before ?...

I am not sure if this is the right thread to post in, so if it isnt, please Sysops/Admins, move it to the appropriate.

I was gaming the other night, when my girlfriend came down, where her computer stands, and asked me; "what did i do wrong if the picture turns bliue ?..."

I looked at her, and said: ill have a look before i accuse you of screwing your computer up.... again..

I went upstairs, and saw that her screen was light-blue. no more colours. also, the resolution was lost, and back to 800x600. The computer seemed to still work though.. icons were there.. and i could ask up anything. i did my normal checks and possible solutions routine.

Conclusions:

Monitor isnt broke. (used an other, similar one to check.)

Vidcard is 0k. ATI Radion 4870 1 gig..

Operating system (Win7 HP) is intact, except it doesn't recognise the monitor anymore, but it does the vidcard.

Asked girlfriend what she was doing when it happened: She had closed down according to normal procedure. and when a few hours she put the computer back on, it was in this state. in short, she did nothing she was aware off that could cause this. No in or de-installations either.. etc.

To rule out all software errors, i put back an image-backup of a few days ago. Still same problem.

I wanted to reset the CMOS. but when booting into setup at start, i got am empty blue screen with only one thing showing; "System time 00"

Bios seemed to be completely gone.

I know.. download a new bios, and flash. but i am curious as to what has happened. A virus of some sort ?... Computer is adequate protected by a hardware, and a software firewall.. and malware-virus scanner. router is wired.. as is the computer.. no wireless at all.. we are both on the same router, and i have no problems.. I know.. Woman and computers isn't a very good mix.. but with a system-operator in the house, who repairs computers for a living.. she dared to use one.

i am into repairs for 15 years now.. run my one man company, and doing well.. i have seen and repaired more puters then i can count.. i never failed once to find the culprit.. ... and i have seen stuff that i could write a book about... but i have never seen this...

Thats why i want to know.

Anyone that can fill this gap in my knowledge ?....

Illuminate my darkness ?...

And i am not sure about the universe...

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2011, 06:52 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_DuDe View Post

Monitor isnt broke. (used an other, similar one to check.)
Did you check both: the suspect comp with another monitor, AND the suspect monitor on another comp?

Offhand, blue screen and lost resolution *sounds* like a broken driver. But normally, it would fix itself on reboot. Perhaps the driver has become hopelessly corrupted somehow. Try re-installing it if you have done both of the above-mentioned monitor checks.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 1st September, 2011 at 06:55 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2011, 02:27 PM
AOA Staff

Does sound like the BIOS has been flashed in error, wiped, or corrupted.

How that may have happened, I don't know.
Old 2nd September, 2011, 08:14 AM

So you can't view the BIOS even with a different monitor?

Last edited by radcon56; 2nd September, 2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 2nd September, 2011, 12:44 PM

Hmmm.. good options all..

It turned out to be a lose pin in the monitor connector of the computer... so a monitor switch wouldn't have helped.

I re-attached the connector pin properly, and all was ok again.

Thanks for replying all.. you actually were a great help for not telling me the right answer... but everything it wasn't... tbh.. I couldn't find it either... far as know.. a bios doesn't erase itself..

so it had to be somewhere that all of you guys didn't mention... since the computer worked normally, apart from the mentioned change...

Not much left to look for.. after that...:P

So its solved...

You guys made my girlfriend happy....and not many man, beside me, can do that...

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd September, 2011, 04:11 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Does your gf tend to move the monitor around...as in [usually] closer to her?

I've had similar weird problems in my shops when the customers moved stuff around. Ultimately, I had to bolt the monitors to the desks [I own a couple of Internet shops] after I found that monitors were intermittently dying All because of bent and broken pins.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 2nd September, 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 2nd September, 2011, 10:25 PM

Glad to hear you fixed it. Fun to ponder possible cures. : )
Old 3rd September, 2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
Does your gf tend to move the monitor around...as in [usually] closer to her?

I've had similar weird problems in my shops when the customers moved stuff around. Ultimately, I had to bolt the monitors to the desks [I own a couple of Internet shops] after I found that monitors were intermittently dying All because of bent and broken pins.
She had painted the wall behind it, and covered the computer with plastic... in doing so, she must have pressed the connector down..

So yeah... that's how it happened, i reckon....

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd September, 2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcon56 View Post
Glad to hear you fixed it. Fun to ponder possible cures. : )
In my job.. sure... but i'd prefer it if my home computers just stayed working.... not going to happen.. i know.. but a man may dream...

AOA Team fah
Old 4th September, 2011, 01:28 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Well done, you found the problem without tearing your hair out! Glad the GF is happy again!
Old 4th September, 2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Well done, you found the problem without tearing your hair out! Glad the GF is happy again!
Learned over the years that kicking it, isn't a very good idea.. and wont help....

AOA Team fah
Old 5th September, 2011, 09:08 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_DuDe View Post
Learned over the years that kicking it, isn't a very good idea.. and wont help....
But might help if it has a loose connector to point ya in the right direction.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 6th September, 2011, 04:33 AM

Lol... but then... Something else would have broken... thats it with computers..

If anything can go wrong.. it will go wrong..

AOA Team fah
Old 12th September, 2011, 09:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Why must Murphy's Law be so valid? Argh!
Old 14th September, 2011, 12:25 PM

I saw a whole documentary over Murphy's law. they tested it.. but couldnt find any evidence for it. So if it exists, it doesnt let itself be proven.

Which makes the law a bit godlike.. and therefore scientifically invalid...

AOA Team fah
Old 16th September, 2011, 08:21 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Of all the modern "laws," learning that Murphy's brand is wrong is a great breath of fresh air!
Old 17th September, 2011, 09:58 AM

Yeah.. well.. as thorough as the BBC is.. .. They didn't test it on computers...:O

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd September, 2011, 09:07 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maybe Murphy's Law is another convenient way to explain entropy??
Old 27th September, 2011, 09:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Which doesn't exist, according to an idiot.
Old 29th September, 2011, 07:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

No, not this idiot. More than one, ya know!