AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th August, 2013, 02:47 PM

Windows XP Pro

I have Ubuntu install along side my original Windows Xp Professional 32bit. All of the suden I can't boot with XP but do can with Ubuntu. When I try to boot Win XP it gives me an BSOD. I heven't check any of the hardware cause Ubuntu is working fine, so far. Try to install Win XP again but I can't past the EULA agreement part. What's going on? Anybody? BTW I don't think that I have installed F@H in Ubuntu. Not sure.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Strongwolf; 12th August, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th August, 2013, 04:22 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Wolf, what bootloader do you use? Is it GRUB?

Windows likes to be the first OS installed, before Linux, it's much easier that way - Windows wants to have control of the MBR in the boot disk, and really, really, doesn't want to let go of it. I don't know what problems you may have created by re-installing XP, with Linux already on the disk. If GRUB is your bootloader, you might try reinstalling it first, and see if it picks up the Windows installation.

You can also show us the contents of grub.conf or grub.cfg (whichever one you have in /boot/grub)

I will be afk until tomorrow night, but will check this thread when I get back here.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 12th August, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2013, 06:11 PM

As you may know I'm Linux impaired, so I don't know what a GRUB is or where can I find it. I'm still strugling with Ubuntu. I'm lost and don't know where things are. I buy an used Ubuntu Linux for dummies book to help me understand this new OS.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th August, 2013, 03:38 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

OK, do you know how to boot to Linux and open a text editor? I believe Ubuntu uses gedit.

If you can find the icon in the menu to open gedit, click on 'open file' and navigate to a file named /boot/grub/grub.conf or /boot/grub/grub.cfg [your system will have only one of these, but I don't know which one. It depends on the GRUB version.]

If you cant figure out how to do that, try opening a terminal window, and paste these commands into it one at a time, then press enter:

Code:
gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf

gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Copy the file whose text comes up [only one will] and post it here for us to see.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 14th August, 2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 25th October, 2013, 03:08 AM

Sorry, I'm late spotting this thread. WinXP Pro SP2 is my workhorse. I find SP3 can introduce instability and so I'm very careful of it.

As mentioned, WinXP (and I gather later renditions of Win) demands to be the first kid on the block. I've recently installed Linux Mint 14.1 in the unpartitioned remnant of an HDD and by installing Linux within the Win extended partition (all Logical partitions), it appears to be fine. However, it seems clear WinXP needs to be installed first, and then Linux GRUB can safely bind it in. (If Linux is installed within the Win partition, that's something else again!)

However, I haven't tried re-installing WinXP after completing the initial two installs (WinXP and then Linux), and presuming the Linux "/boot" partition doesn't require any Win primary partition files (seems like the case), then I'd hope it would work fine. Did your Linux install include a "/boot" partition?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 25th October, 2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 3rd November, 2013, 11:35 PM

Sorry, but I can't answerer any of the questions. The machine I install Ubuntu is out of commission. Install Ubuntu in a separated Seagate HDD and everything go hay wire. Now It won't boot neither Ubuntu nor Win7. That's another thing; I install Win7 accidentally in the hdd that I was trying to install XP. As u can see I'm a little confuse right now. Thank you for the answer thou.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th November, 2013, 01:48 PM
AOA Staff

Sounds like you had a failing hard drive... I would say its time to start over.

Since you have installed Linux on a hard drive, it requires a files system called FAT32 (ext4) and does not let you install Windows over it.
The best thing you can do is format the whole drive again.

The way I like to do this is using an IDE/SATA to USB Adapter or install Linux on a flash drive and boot it.
The adapter will let you connect that hard drive to a different computer and you can format with Windows.
The flash drive with Linux will let you format the internal drive without having to install Linux.
Either way, it needs to be completely formatted.

Once that is done, start by installing Windows on it, but make sure to only partition enough for Windows and leave some free space for Linux.

Then use your flash drive with Linux on it to boot to Linux and then install it. Remember to use that free space you left from the Windows partitioning.

After Linux is installed, reboot and see if Grub will allow you to choose Windows or Linux.

That should do it

By the way, a few of us "AOA regulars" have moved to GamersOnLinux.com which is all about Linux and games. Signup and post questions there and we'll probably get back to you quicker.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial