AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th November, 2013, 07:47 AM

Replaced everything, but the right thing!

Well I had a less than a year old build. Gigabyte 990FX, 8350, 7970 16 Gig Ram, Crucial 256 M4 SSD Win 8 Pro, Samsung 27", and it started acting poorly with the display and would just quit at times, At various times whiletrouble shooting I blame Win 8, the Video card (Replaced the XFX 7970 with a new Sapphire 7970) did not solve the problem. replaced the 1200W Coolermaster PSU with a lesser wattage one of same make, that did not solve the problem. I replaced the the motherboard with a ASRock Fatal1ty (That did not work either and now I could not even get it to post.

I took the whole mess to the shop that sold me the new ASRock, they could not get it to post and they RMA'd the board. a good while later the new board came in and it posted and all seemed fine. I brought it home and while it posted the old intermittent fade and quitting came back and with an additional problem in that the computer would not restart from windows.

I finally remembered having a Monitor problem some years before and tried a second monitor. Hmmmm it's working! turns out that the separate power supply for the Samsung Monitor failed. I just ordered one from Amazon and all was much better.

So that problem was cured, but I was now plagued with restarting issues and discovered that was a deadly combo of My new board's early UEFI Bios, Win 8, and a Crucial Firmware update. Crucial did know about the problem and was pretty helpful. I upgraded to yet another motherboard, ASUS 990FX Sabertooth R 2.0, and removed half the 32 gig Ram. Firmware updated, Win 8.1 Pro seems to love me and all is really right with this machine now.

Just saying try a different monitor if you can when you are troubleshooting

PS No motherboards were harmed or orphaned. At least not those mentioned, a couple of 939 machines had there boards removed, replaced and retired. but all the 990FX boards are in use.

I was given a green light to do some wholesale upgrading and brother did I.

Looking at the systems in my Sig below, My #1 there is now connected to my TV with a 7970 in it, and the other MSI K9A2 CF has a 6 core 1090, but is "In reserve" (This is the very same board that I had smoke and flmes coming out of a few years ago, MSI repaired the very same board, works great.)
Rig 1 MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400+, 4 gig PC6400, 3870; and then MSI K9A2 CF, 5000+; Abit Fatal1ty AN8, Opteron 185; ASRock 939Dual VSTA, 4400+; EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra, 148 Opteron; Abit KN9 SLI, 5000+;Abit UL8, 3800+; Gigabyte 754 3200+; ASUS A8N-VM CSM, 3500+, ASRock Dual Sata-2, 3200+, Abit NF7-S; DFI NFII; EPoX 8RDA6+Pro.

Last edited by Pandaz3; 20th November, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2013, 07:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, sometimes verifying with another piece of known good equipment can be a big help. Unfortunately, we don't always have another piece of known-good laying around to experiment with.

Thanks for sharing the info!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2013, 07:41 PM
AOA Staff

Man, you described my "worst case scenario"
That is... spending hours replacing parts and RMAing parts.
That really sucks, but every time I have to do all this trial-n-error troubleshoting, I learn something new.
So its never a waste and if you have success, then it was worth it.
Just sucks having to spend so much time messing around totally blind.

Good post Pandaz!
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial