AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th May, 2002, 01:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Darkcobra

Angry can't find windows file, can't load windows

ok, lately my computer has been giving me problems. don't you hate that. i recently built a new pentium 4 1.6a system for my girlfriend. however, i went to boot it up and now the computer goes straight to the bios without me clicking any button to bring it to that menu. after i leave the bios it posts (without showing my the speed to the cpu, don't know what's up with that?) and then it gives me this message: "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: c:\windows\system32\config\system." what gives? my system has windows xp home, 60GB desktop 120 gxp ibm hdd, pioneer 16x dvd rom, 256MB samsung 2700 DDr, and 350 watt enermax psu. anybody have any ideas how i can fix this or do i have to go straight to "format c:" thanks guys.
Old 18th May, 2002, 01:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Sounds like your motherboard has an issue if it goes right into bios- Was it working before? Win XP home is VERY bad and unstable- I would re format-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2002, 04:01 AM
Banned

Seen a similar issue when I get a corruption from overclocking. I have no easy answer, errors that early on in the windows boot are also sometimes boot.ini configuration issues where the operating system boot file can't see windows in the spot it thought it was....
Old 18th May, 2002, 07:41 AM

Seen that when you get bad sectors or corruption on the drive. XP has that recovery console thing that will reinstall the system files. Use the windows disk like your going to reinstall and at a certain point it will ask if you want to repair the copy of windows.

Whether you opt for recovery console or fresh install, there is still a core problem you need to resolve. I think I saw you post somewhere about this rig using an Asus mobo? If so and your trying to push the cpu too far where the mobo can't initialize it will eventually recover itself and boot at default speed going straight into bios. Usually it will highlight the cpu speed and off to the right in red letters will give some sort of message saying it was not able to boot on the last attempt.

Something like will usually happen when your trying to boot at say 2.4Ghz (hypothetically speaking) and your cpu needs 1.7V to initialize but the board only supplies 1.5V. Even though you have the bios set to 1.7V it still only initializes at 1.5V. Once in the bios the board is then at 1.7V that you have it set to, so when you leave the bios it will warm reboot at 1.7V allowing your overclock to succeed.

There are ways around this to allow the board to initialize at a higher voltage from a cold boot. One being the wire trick and the other being dependent on the mobo, some such as the Asus P4B266 has an overvolt jumper which will start the board at 1.7V if you wish.
Old 27th May, 2002, 07:43 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Glad to have you S_Wilson.
We need guys like you.
So do you fold for us yet?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th May, 2002, 08:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
We need guys like you.
Rob
And S_Wilson, can you get away for the AOA gathering in July? See the topic at the bottom of the main forum page for details":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 27th May, 2002, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
We need guys like you.
Rob
Thanks Rob. Of course I fold for AOA, I transitioned earlier this month but I have been saddled with those p127 and p128's for about the last week so it has cut my production by 2/3 or so . I griped about that in the folding area the other day.
Old 27th May, 2002, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
And S_Wilson, can you get away for the AOA gathering in July? See the topic at the bottom of the main forum page for details":O}
I have been following the thread Daniel, sounds like it would be a great time and I would really like to but don't know yet. It's not to bad of a drive from Western Colorado but trying to take vacation is difficult . Put me on the possible list.

Shawn
Old 27th May, 2002, 10:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Wilson

I have been following the thread Daniel, sounds like it would be a great time and I would really like to but don't know yet. It's not to bad of a drive from Western Colorado but trying to take vacation is difficult . Put me on the possible list.

Shawn
My pleasure, where there's hope there's life! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic