AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th May, 2002, 04:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Intrepid6546

Angry 60gig IBM crashing

ok here is my problem. My 60gig 7200rpm IBM IDE hard drive keeps disapering. It will be working most of the time. than it will freze and when i reboot the computer it will not detect the drive at all, sometimes it redetects on its own after a while. i have a fan under it to cool it, and it sometimes juigle the IDE cable to get it working, but that dosent always work. i am using te Abit KR7A-RAID motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ and 512MB of registered DDR pc2100. you get hte idea. well the other day i tried to turn it on and it sees the drive fine in the initial drive detection. but when it gets to the "verifying DMI pool data" it stops for about 3 minuites than asks for me to type in the location of the command interpreter like command.com or something. i put in the windowsXP cd and it sees the drive and partitioned C and it also says that it is unknown or osmething like that and that it is empty. i had like over 20 or 30 gigs on that drive including windows. i also did a virus scan with norton anti virus fully updated the previous day. i have windows 98 2000 and XP all runing on it on the same pertition

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th May, 2002, 04:17 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Dude,

I just had that happen to me last night, with a 40G. I didn't have any data on it that wasn't backed up so I just formatted and reinstalled everything. Waste of 4 hours. Anyway, I used a disk diagnostic thing from IBM and it detected some disk errors. I'm not sure what the cause of it is, but I get the feeling that it might have been because I've been OCing the FSB. I'm getting the sense that IBM drives are not the best OCers out there because I've heard of others who have had similar problems. I think I'm gonna switch brands until I hear something better about IBM.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th May, 2002, 07:13 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Ditto!! I have a 40gig 60GXP RMA'd and am waiting for a replacement. Run Drive fitness test, to see if your drive is dying. You can download it from the IBM website. In my case, the something on the circuit board of the HDD actually failed. The replacement is going to go into one of my kid's machines... If it dies, no valuable data to loose. What a waste of 40 gigs.
Old 21st May, 2002, 12:05 AM

When I first bought it I was told by several people that those IBM drives were really good. Now they are telling me that a few months after I bought mine brand new IBM released some problems with their drives. Information they withheld i guess or something. Oh well I am going to have Spyder try to recover my files and send the drive back to Belmont where I bought it and have him request a new 60gig for me from them but a diff brand...I have such good friends

Old 21st May, 2002, 12:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid6546
I have such good friends
Im working on the drive now- looks like i can get some stuff- No kidding :-d
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 21st May, 2002, 12:16 AM

YAY! I need everything that was in C:\documents and settings. Anything else would be nice too. How do you become a member of AOA folding at home? I am setting up my dad's P3 to do folding and will do it to mine when I get it's hard drive back.

Old 21st May, 2002, 01:57 AM
Banned

I've had very few problems with my 60GXP 40GB, knock on wood , but it has always had a bad ide connector that usually need to be wiggled to get it to work (bad solder joint probably).

My Harddrive did crash last night kinda starnge (made a loud noise first), but then I just rebooted and no problems since.
Old 21st May, 2002, 02:02 AM

du du duuuu....!

Old 21st May, 2002, 04:59 AM

Virus wiped the drive clean- im "0"ing the drive right now- only 4 hours left!
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 21st May, 2002, 07:10 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
How do you become a member of AOA folding at home? I am setting up my dad's P3 to do folding and will do it to mine when I get it's hard drive back.
Best bet is too look into the F@H thread. Then go from there.
Good to have ya aboard.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 21st May, 2002, 08:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
YAY! I need everything that was in C:\documents and settings. Anything else would be nice too. How do you become a member of AOA folding at home? I am setting up my dad's P3 to do folding and will do it to mine when I get it's hard drive back.
Shawn, is that your p0rn folder? jk.

Anyways, I have the 80GB edition of the IBM drive, and it gave my Mac hell. It was in an external FireWire drive case, and it worked *most* of the time. Some times it would just stop working after a while - normally after 24 hours of use. I think that the problem was that the little external HD case got really hot (It was hot to the touch.) Now it is in my PC with a 40mm fan cooling it, and it stays right around 36-40C, which is considerably hotter then my Seagate’s (Approx 25-30C) but it dose work just fine. I think that heat might be the main problem with it not working, but that is just my guess.

BTW, thanks to whomever who suggested that IBM HD tester. I'm gunna test my HD to see if it's okay.

And what temp's should HD's be running at?
Old 21st May, 2002, 09:57 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Temps didn't cause my HDD to fail. I have an Antec 1030. If you are familiar with it, you know the HDD cage has a 8cm fan that blows right through it. Under the cage is another 8cm fan. Both are drawing air in toward the back of the case. There is excellent air flow in this case, and a lot of it is blowing directly above and below the HDD. The only thing I didn't do was solder a frickin' HS to the HDD!!

(let's just say I am not thrilled about IBM reliability.)
Old 22nd May, 2002, 12:57 AM

He has the antec 800 series- same deal- i have the 1040 series- work GREAT!
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd May, 2002, 06:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to AznParaTrooper

I have the same hd 60gig IBM 7200rpm. But I also have a harddrive cooler with 3 small fans and a heatsink to cool my hd. So far my hd gives me no problem. Could it be your temperature?
Old 25th May, 2002, 07:17 PM
.:N2:.

you know, FWIW..

as long as you aint in the middle of the desert...

there should be NO NEED for HDD cooling.

really, there should'nt be.

look, ppl go out and buy a maxtor 120Gb 7200rpm drive to toss in their mini-tower bestbuy special...

these ppl know they wanna hold movies.. not about cool this cool that...

now i have a samsung that can run all day and night, and remains cool to the touch, 80Gb 7200rpm

this is total BS that you'd *need* to cool a HDD, total BS.

AND IF it was a *Requirement* on any MFR'd drive, it'd come with a cooler retail packaged.

when the thing runs hot, it's bad workmanship.
lets not make excuses for them to give us less-than-standard quality. if Samsung runs cool (opposite of warm) i mean COOL...
there ain't no damn reason the rest can't too.

/rant
Old 25th May, 2002, 08:52 PM

Well my IBM ran hot to the tooch. but they replaceed it at the store where i baught it. I now have a 60gig seagate 7200rpm. It is pretty good havent worked with it for very long. one problem though, my boot directory if now F...not C??? I know i needto reinstall everything to fix this but how do i make sure it re installs as C? how in the bios or system startup do i set boot patition back to C?

Old 25th May, 2002, 09:03 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Well my IBM ran hot to the tooch. but they replaceed it at the store where i baught it. I now have a 60gig seagate 7200rpm. It is pretty good havent worked with it for very long. one problem though, my boot directory if now F...not C??? I know i needto reinstall everything to fix this but how do i make sure it re installs as C? how in the bios or system startup do i set boot patition back to C?
Depends on os. If you are using XP, you can change it in disk management, under computer management, under admin tools.
Old 25th May, 2002, 09:49 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Depends on os. If you are using XP, you can change it in disk management, under computer management, under admin tools.
Same in Win2K.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 25th May, 2002, 11:06 PM
.:N2:.

pretty odd....
LOL.. the drive turned suddenly into "F"

i think that's the drive giving you "the finger" LMAO

i never seen that happen, so i dunno what to tell ya.

however i can say that in Win9X just make the HDD IDE-0 Master,
and CD-Rom IDE-1 Slave
and not have any other drives installed for installation.

or, i'll explain it this way...
my config for installing is always just one IDE slot in use, one cable.. the HDD as the master, and the CD as the slave.. and it always goes fine.

this way, pretty 100% certain you will end up with the HDD as C:
Old 26th May, 2002, 12:59 AM

No kidding ^_^ - i told him how to in disk managment- but hes just whipin everything and reinstalling it-the dive is primary master -
SPyder
AOA Team fah