AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th May, 2002, 08:12 PM
.:N2:.

Read in! {BEWARE WD 60's}

Beware the WD 60Gb 7200's

i think i have the art of byatching down to a science.

anyways, bought a 60gb WD drive awhile back.
always sounded strange.
one day, bout 45 days after i got it... *Click.. Click.. Click...*

no more drive. no more data.

back to Bestbuy (www.bestbuysux.org) and after some fight, got it replaced. same model.

TWO WEEKS LATER *Click.. Click... Clickety.. Click*

no more data.. AGAIN!

went back to Bestbuy, who said *Sorry*

RMA'd it.

two months later i had another 60Gb WD.

well, i left it sit till i really needed another drive, simple fact, i don't trust these drives anymore.

fired it up, installed windows, some progs, etc... all seems fine.
called it a night.

next day, wake up, turn on that rig...

*Click... Click... Clicky...Click*

RMA AGAIN?!?!?!?

i called em' and raised hell just cuz, not expecting anything...
but just cuz i wanted to rip someone a new bunghole bout the 4th piece of WD garbage i can now expect to recieve.

Let's see here...
paid $189 +8% tax for this awhile back, time and gas to BB 3 times (Not close to home) and $12 for shipping the last RMA
i figure by the end of the year, after a few more RMA's i'll be up to $400 and not have had a drive to use AT ALL.

and add, i've lost data that mattered.

anyways, i told him i want to chew on his supervisor awhile and he put me on hold...
supervisor had no cohones so he told the monkey-boy to offer me a 80Gb "one time upgrade".

it probly won't work either.

anyone wanna trade a BRAND NEW 80Gb WD 7200rpm HDD
for like a 400Mb Quantum????

yea... we'll see how this one works out,
when i get it in two months that is.

Old 24th May, 2002, 08:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm seeing WAY to much of this with WD and IBM (basically the same drive or used to be) drives over 20 gigs. I have 5 20 gig IBM drives that have worked flawlessly for at lest 9 months, BUT the larger drives seem to go OUT with depressing regularity here in the forums.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th May, 2002, 10:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm sorry to read that you're getting so much aggravation with a WD, that became WD's, .:N2:.!

Dag nab it! It looks like any and every modern IDE HDD is a piece du merde. I've read that profit margins are razor thin on hard drives and this compels the manufacturers to shave every one hundredth of a penny they can off of the cost of building them. Therefore, we get what we pay for, in a manner of speaking. Please, Mr IDE HDD man, can I pay ten percent more for a drive that will work for three years?

When Seagate's Barracuda IV's(IDE HDD's that "borrowed" a trade name from a SCSI HDD model made by Seagate) first came out, they cost ~15% more than other HDD's at that time. Maybe Seagate was "making a statement" to the effect that "hey, these drives are dependable."?

After getting a nightmare c/o an IBM 45 Gb 75GXP, I read the "Customer Satisfaction" Database at www.storagereview.com . According to it, Seagates were causing less headaches than any other brand of IDE HDD.
My fingers remain crossed, I bought two 40 Gb Barracuda IV's.

They run much cooler than the IBM did. I discovered that the drive coolers I got for them are overkill. Truth be told, my 75GXP ran hot enough to really need a drive cooler. But---Big Shrew said nothing about their HDD's needing one so I figured that I'd save the cooler for a SCSI HDD.

Maybe we should build our own HDD's. 11 sec Access, 256 Kb/sec transfer. Whoo-hoo!
Old 24th May, 2002, 10:45 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
When Seagate's Barracuda IV's(IDE HDD's that "borrowed" a trade name from a SCSI HDD model made by Seagate) first came out, they cost ~15% more than other HDD's at that time. Maybe Seagate was "making a statement" to the effect that "hey, these drives are dependable."?

After getting a nightmare c/o an IBM 45 Gb 75GXP, I read the "Customer Satisfaction" Database at www.storagereview.com . According to it, Seagates were causing less headaches than any other brand of IDE HDD.
My fingers remain crossed, I bought two 40 Gb Barracuda IV's.
Fingers crossing wit'ca on that one.
Old 25th May, 2002, 12:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Guess what happened to my IBM80GB drive yesterday...

*Click.. Click... Clickety.. Click*

I only hope that it will still work, because there is 20GB combined of music and raw home video footage. I haven’t tried it yet, because I don't have enough cooling for it yet... If it does die, what’s the average warranty on it? I've had it a year.
Old 25th May, 2002, 12:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
Guess what happened to my IBM80GB drive yesterday...

*Click.. Click... Clickety.. Click*

I only hope that it will still work, because there is 20GB combined of music and raw home video footage. I haven’t tried it yet, because I don't have enough cooling for it yet... If it does die, what’s the average warranty on it? I've had it a year.
3 years seems average.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th May, 2002, 12:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

I just plugged the IBM80GB back in and… It work’s, and there are no funny noises! Yay!
Old 25th May, 2002, 12:39 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
I just plugged the IBM80GB back in and… It work’s, and there are no funny noises! Yay!
Beats the hell out of warrrenty service...yes? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 25th May, 2002, 03:08 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
If it didn't sound right before, I would take it as a temporary reprieve.... Protect all of your valuable data, back everything up just in case. Hopefully, you'll never need it.
Old 25th May, 2002, 04:33 AM

Yes BACK IT UP!!!

man, when you hear them clicks... problems are a' commin'!!

well yea, i'll NEVER EVER buy WD,

i got a used 13Gb 7200 IBM (so far, Real nice, cool, quiet, fast), and Trancebears old 75GXP (i think it is?) and hopefully they'll be good to me...

but Seagate is next on the "buy to try, hope it dont die" list.

i bought a samsung last time (cpl weeks ago) 80Gb 7200
thing is way too loud for me, altho it seems to have quieted down as i write this noticing i hear only fans. anyways it does run mighty cool.

so this leaves Maxtor as the only other viable, in my book.. and...

the "Liquid ball bearing" jobbers are A-1 tops in my book, i have one of them (80Gb 7200 flavor) and it's Smooooth!
and all my other drives are maxtors. never RMA'd one... all 7200 and never an issue to speak of. a tad warm, i use 2x 30Gb as main drives, and i think maybe they fixed the temp probs in larger sizes cuz 30's are quite warm.. ALMOST need full cooling, but would still be fine without.

that's my take on it.

i agree, the larger the drive, means the more sacrifice of quality went into making all that more data in the same size package, and scrimping to save $$ so as to sell it cheaper.

i wish you all good luck with your drives.
nothing like formatting, doing a whole install twice, to then hafta RMA and do the whole sh|t over again, to put the value of good solid storage gear back into perspective.

something taken for granted when it all works dandy.
Old 25th May, 2002, 07:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I have never had a problem with any harddrive except IBM and WD- i use segate- fugitsu- samsung- quantum and maxtor just fine- The only IBM that has ever died was b/c of a bad powersupply-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 25th May, 2002, 07:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for your good wishes for my Seagate's, eobard!
Old 25th May, 2002, 07:25 PM

sure, it's the tale of "i like this one, you hate that one"

but i know hardware pretty well...

and having this model drive in 3 different systems, complete different (specific- KT133a, KT266a, Intel 810 ) boxes
and each time SMART tells me "FAILURE IS IMMINENT"

'cept for the last one which was "Click.. Click.." only, as it would'nt even allow me to run diagnostic software to see a failure code or anything.. the heads just stopped moving.

THREE TIMES!! on THREE DIFFERENT HDD's!!!

naw, no excuse. BLACKBALLED like IBM, but worse, cuz, i ain't had a prob with IBM or anything else for that matter.

like i said guys, i wish you all the best of luck with whatever you buy...
i've had a horrible experience with this, and i wish i woulda listened to Wildone when he told me "All the probs i ever had were WD HDD's"
and never bought this stinking pile of dung HDD.

i share my experience and hopefully sway you towards
Samsung, Maxtor, or Seagate.
from here on out, it's all i will buy.
Old 25th May, 2002, 10:36 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The present HDD sitch is weird. After reading glowing praises of IBM's, I bought one. It was an expensive mistake. The new 60GXP's and the newer 120GXP's are still the fastest ATA-100 drives. Ain't this a day on the beach?

Fast means nothing when such a high percentage of them fail. I was surprised that IBM did the corporate weasel out of what was and is their responsibility for these pos's. And they are selling their IDE HDD division as fast as they can. Paens to Capitalism grate upon my ears now that its working "ethic" is too often "gimme your money. I owe you nothing whatsoever in return."

Many folks stand behind their WD's four square. "I've had five of them over the years. Never a problem, ever."
The same is true for every brand. Will this "never had a problem with brand X-- of any kind of component" ever become my song?
With my luck? LOL.
Old 25th May, 2002, 10:51 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Thank you for your good wishes for my Seagate's, eobard!
Don't thank me too much, that wish had a healthy degree of selfishness in it for my Segate Baracude IV too. Although yours and everyone elses was included in the well wishing in equal part.
Old 25th May, 2002, 11:00 PM

that is ABSOLUTELY FACT!!

IBM was on the front page of every O/C'ers site from here to China!! them damned cursed 60GXP's

i left the h/w scene to persue other interests, i came back bout 6 months later to find out how horrid they are and failure rates, and "Dont leave it run more than 300hrs. per month" etc...

imagine my surprise! i truly was.

good thing i never had the "Extra" money IBM commanded for their drives... it was like a minimum of $50 over Maxtor's prices at that time, to get a GXP drive and i never felt some little invisible performance number was worth it. extra gigs are!

sad thing is Maxtor hurt themselves by buying Quantum and rebadging their garbage HDD's. they've had failure rates for those, but the Diamondmax 60's are pretty solid!

the best advice i could give to a friend right now..

Maxtor's with Liquid bearings.

Not quantums, quiet, ATA133, smooth, cool, reasonably cheap.

retail comes with ATA133 card too!
Old 26th May, 2002, 01:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

$89 for 60gig Maxtor 7200 U133- Frys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 28th May, 2002, 12:44 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I have a seagate 10 giger.
clickady click it goes.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah