AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2002, 01:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Please help meh!!!! W2K went down.

Ok, so here is the story. Today we had power surges in my area. School blacked out twice, so did my house. So I go home at lunch, thinking my computer's safe becuase it wasnt' on and I use a protector. So I turn it on, it loads windows 2000 and 5 seconds later it shuts down. Powers off. The monitor however is still working, but I didn't pay attention to it. So I thought maybe its another surge and powered back on. Now as soon as it starts loading W2k (at the point where you see that white bar go across the screen) its giving me a message: "Windows 2000 could not be started because the following file is missing or corrupt: C:\Winnt\System\Config".

I tried doing what it said.... start installation and choose repair , but that didn't help becuase it wasn't able to find previously installed W2k. I got no repair disk because I was too dumb to make one, thinking I'll never need it.

I'm thinking if I can get into Dos and somehow do a back up, then I might be able to fix it, but don't know how to do it.

Or maybe there is a problem with BOOT.INI or NTLDR that could be fixed. Dunno for sure.

Any ideas?

(I really don't want to do a reinstall, and its a good opportunity for me to learn to fix things, plus I need it by friday. )

!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2002, 02:17 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

If I recall correctly, Win2K has the same pseudo-repair-install as WinXP. After you boot from the CD, at the first option, choose install. Eventually you will be shown the partitions where you can install the OS. If you select a partition, Win2K SHOULD ask if you want to repair or install. Choose the repair option. This will reinstall Win2K but maintain all of your original settings. It also means you have to reinstall all service packs and also do windowsupdate.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2002, 03:07 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yes that is correct Mooky. If you use RAID card be sure to press F6 to install it or you can't run repair!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 29th May, 2002, 04:48 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Is the partition NTFS or Fat32. If Fat32, make a boot disk from another machine... I'll take the pesimistic approach... If you boot to dos, make sure C: exists, and check for errors. If the HDD crashes, sometimes windows can try to boot and will get some data then fail. This happened to me recently. I don't know why I was able to partially boot, but the bottom line was my hdd failed.

This may be why the repair cannot find an install of win2k to fix. If the C: is intact, running scandisk may help. (OK, I'm not a repair guru, but I'm trying, )
Old 29th May, 2002, 06:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Just did a scan disk and it found an error in MBR and Directory structure... but that didn't help. I guess I'll spend some time with it after school, and if won't get anywhere I'll just reinstall it.

Thanks for the help!

oh, and my A+ book says you shoulnd't use win 9X boot disk with W2k, that is true only when you're on NTFS, right? (I'm Fat32)
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Old 8th June, 2002, 04:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

I had that a few times in the past. I believe that is your registry, if you don't have it backed up you might have to reinstall. If you do have it backed up, you can try some sort of boot disk to access the drive and just replace it with your backed up files. I think any boot disk that can accessthe harddrive will work. I believe you can use recovery consol, if you had it setup to use that. I would say always back up, when I had my old motherboard I would get those errors quite often, and also install the recovery consol and stick it in the boot.ini file. I forget exactly how to know, but I'll try to remember what I did. I used to get these errors from harddrive corruption from to many "unproper" shutdowns from BSODs. Good luck.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"