AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th June, 2002, 07:52 PM

bad cd burner flash

Hello,

I flashed some days ago my sony crx-120e with the firmware of the hp 9300 to make my burner burn cd faster (some sites talk about that) .

the flash program said Flashed succesful and after rebooting, nor the Bios nor windows xp would recognize the burner, and the orange BUSY LED on the face of the burner is allways ON.

is there any way to make the MB bios recognize my burner again so I may flash it again ?

thanks for help
Old 16th June, 2002, 08:07 PM
Banned

Yikes.

If the firmware software won't reinstall the sony firmware for you because windows can't see the drive, then I think you're SOL.

[just as a side note, I would never update firmware on one brand drive using firmware for another's unless I was 101% sure it worked...]
Old 16th June, 2002, 09:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I must agree with Pinky here. That was a risky move especially for a 100+ dollar item. I don't know of any way to recover this. On these sites the mentioned to do this, was there a fix if it did not work?

If not you have a spendy paper weight.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th June, 2002, 10:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

If you've trashed the firmware on the drive, then you're going to have real problems. It's exactly the same problem as screwing up a flash BIOS upgrade. Unfortunately, it's a bit more difficult to recover than a BIOS upgrade.

There's two ways of recovering it. Easiest is to send it back to the manufacturer. Hardest is to open it up, remove the flash and find someone who can reprogram the flash for you.

The firmware on the drive is the drive's BIOS and OS. Screwing it up means the drive won't even boot.

AidanII

Last edited by Áedán; 16th June, 2002 at 10:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th June, 2002, 06:41 AM
Banned

Oooo. try to send it back.
Old 17th June, 2002, 01:12 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

By the way if anyone in the uk wants a 32 pin bios programming, or anything really, I have a bios saviour thing now so i'll be happy to do it for you, I guess 32 pin doesn't cover it exactly, and i can't remember the IC type (the proper name)

it's about 3cm long, 1cm wide, 16 tapered pins on 2 sides, you know the type

anyway yes I can now happily program anyone's bios should they kill it
Old 17th June, 2002, 04:19 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by b0bb1nz
it's about 3cm long, 1cm wide, 16 tapered pins on 2 sides, you know the type
32pin DIL (Dual In Line)?

AidanII
Old 11th September, 2002, 12:45 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

32pin DIL (Dual In Line)?

AidanII
That's the one, cheers
Old 11th September, 2002, 02:54 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

A solid gold offer, thanks Winkie!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 13th September, 2002, 05:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Reflash it with an original firmware. I've got a plextor 12x10x32 that takes firmware up to 24x. Anything higher the bios fails to recognize it. Pop in the original firmware and you should be back in business. It works for Plextor, but then again, Plextor's a solid name.
Old 13th September, 2002, 07:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Quote:
Originally posted by unclemojo
Reflash it with an original firmware. I've got a plextor 12x10x32 that takes firmware up to 24x. Anything higher the bios fails to recognize it. Pop in the original firmware and you should be back in business. It works for Plextor, but then again, Plextor's a solid name.
Do you have a link about upping those plextors??
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 14th September, 2002, 09:21 AM
Banned

The easies way to reflash bad flashes on your drive is useing a program called MTKFLASH

My flash was so bad that even the computer wouldn't boot, I had to disconnet the power cable from the drive and boot into dos, then reconnect the power cable

This program will force flash any drive it doesn't check anything

It will flash what ever bin file you ask it to to any ide port you specify

This program will fix the worst flashes gone wrong
Old 15th September, 2002, 04:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz
Do you have a link about upping those plextors??
I've been lucky with my efforst so far. Just installed the firmware for a 16x then the 24x. THe 16x went the first time. I just clicked away at the 24 till it said 'ok, enuf already...I accept' A good 15 tries before it took. It shows as a 12x still, but burns a 700mb cd in just over 4 mins. Prolly not at full 24x, but faster than 12x. Same cd would take over 6 mins before. My friends plex (same model) will only take the 16x formware. I'll look and see if theres a mod for it to take higher firmwares or maybe a proggy to assist. Might have to check that MTKFLASH thing brocke8 mentioned. Sounds like it may do the trick