AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st June, 2002, 11:26 AM

Failed BIOS flash on Epox 4SDA+

It is killed stone dead and when I reboot I get a siren and the LEDS say 02.The cd drive spins and the fans work but that is it.
Is there an way of saving this situation?
Old 21st June, 2002, 06:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, fearby!
Why not ask our resident expert in all things Epox? Two choices up from here in the "forums home" menu.

Let's hope that Epox or its cronies don't charge too much for replacement BIOS chips, if that's your only course of action.

And they ask why I avoid updating BIOS as best I can.

Last edited by cloasters; 21st June, 2002 at 08:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd June, 2002, 03:19 AM

I you have another working computer (or acess to a buddies) thier is no need to BUY a new BIOS EEPROM.

You can HOT FLASH the dead BIOS EEPROM on the workign computer.

Here is the BASIC Idea

Boot the working computer up with a bootdisk
(after POST no more Volts go through the BIOS EEPROM)
And once the OS is loaded (just to be safe) remove the BIOS EEPROM from the working computer (IC extractors come in handy for this) and insert (ensure you put it in the correct direction) the BAD EEPROM.
Now you can flash the BAD EEPROM and restore it.
Turn off the computer and replace the Original EEPROM and you will have 2 working computers

If it is not the same motherboard you will most likely have to use switches to flash teh EEPROM or grab a 3rd party Flash Utility such as UNIFlash.

This is fairly safe to do as long as you take care when reinserting the BIOS EEPROM with the power on. thier are little notices to note pin 1. Make 100% sure you install the EEPROM correctly.

null
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd June, 2002, 04:22 AM
Banned

Jay has the right idea, but be aware of the risks to the working motherboard as you will have to cleanly pull the good bios chip from the working board, insert the bad one cleanly, flash, then repeat... etc
Old 23rd June, 2002, 12:09 PM

Fixed...............

..Searched this forum and saw a post about someone having problems with a similar flavour.
The problem is due to not having a fan connected directly to the mainboard - mine was running straight from PSU.

Thanks

Old 24th June, 2002, 03:13 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

All's well that ends well. Hot flashing BIOS chips is not for the faint of heart--nor for the shaky of hand.
Old 24th June, 2002, 03:15 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jay
Boot the working computer up with a bootdisk
(after POST no more Volts go through the BIOS EEPROM)
Hate to point this out, but after POST, the BIOS is still powered, and depending on the settings in the BIOS configuration, may still be accessed by the machine.

If you disabled copy to shadow RAM for the system BIOS, then this will definately be true.

AidanII