AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th July, 2002, 06:35 PM

How do I force flash a BIOS ?

I have busted my BIOS when flashing it and now my machine won't boot anymore, the HDD and all other components do nothing when I power it up.
I have tried flashing my BIOS with hot-swap on another mobo using the same EEPROM type, but it wouldn't work, award flash sayd something like BIOS and system do not match.
Now my question is how do I force flash the BIOS with awardflash or is there another program to do that ?
Old 4th July, 2002, 07:43 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Depends on which mobo you have. I have an EPoX 8KHA+ and if you press ALT-F2 at POST, it will do it.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2002, 10:05 PM

Coolwater posted this in the below thread
Epox 8k3a+ NO WAY TO FLASH BIOS

Download AWDFLASH and then use this string to kick start the flash.

awdflash8k3a####.bin /cc /cp /cd /R

#### replace with the bios number your trying to flash. Remember to use the spaces as typed above. Also make sure you have the command on the floppy disk. On the A disk you should have,

awdflash
8k3a####.bin
command

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2002, 10:37 PM

Yep, thanks, but what does the /R switch do ? I haven't seen that in the list of switches displayed when I run awdflash /?

Is that for forcing the flash ?
Old 5th July, 2002, 12:25 AM

Im not sure exactly "hence the quote"

Try it and see.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 5th July, 2002, 08:19 AM

Easier said than done, hot-swaping is not very safe, 2 times out of 3 my monitor goes out when I pull out my BIOS chip and I have to do everthink blindfolded.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 01:26 AM

Whenever I need to force flash a bios I use /f. I use a dos boot disc an when it loads to A: prompt, I type awdflash 8xxxxxx.bin(space)/f to force the flash an has always worked fine for me. An have hot swap bios chips an reflashed with a different bios without any problems. I just make sure first boot in bios is floppy, with the dos boot disc installed, it reads the boot disc an loads to A: prompt, I pull the bios chip an insert another an reflash away.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 01:42 AM

I did it already, with WinFlash. That program doesn't even check if it is the right mobo, the perfect tool for force flashing.
Anyway, I will never flash from a floppy again.

PS. The monitor went blank for some strange cause, I think that the screwdriver I used to remove the BIOS chip touched a contact and the display was gone. Weird, now I use a plastic one.
Old 2nd August, 2002, 02:29 AM

Yea the metal screw driver more than likely the problem with removing bios chip with power on. I use 10 lb. monofilament fishing line behind bios chip, pull both ends an chip pops out, then insert new chip.