AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th July, 2002, 08:13 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Glad to hear you figured it out. And all the pros here could get you up and running.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th July, 2002, 11:47 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
and I will get an AMD 1.33 (AYHJA) for $70.
Hmmm... If you are sure it's the CPU...
newegg has the 1600+ XP for $70.
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it was AGOIA, and is running smooth at 1750. I know some people have a preference for Tbirds still, but with lower heat and higher clocks, I honestly don't know why they don't prefer XPs.

EDIT: There are 2 popular Enhance PSUs out there with 300W. One is the 0730ATX. This one comes with 220w in the 3.3&5v rails. It is AMD approved and I have one running an AXP@1520. No problems, but it doesn't have much in the 12v line, so I wouldn't recommend too many drives or other peripherals. The other model is the one you have, 1125BTA. Even tho it is also 300w, I don't think it was designed for AMD systems. It was geared more toward P4s. I think the quality is the same, just the distribution of Amperage is balanced more, unlike the 0730 model, which is skewed big time. Enhance is a popular OEM, and many become rebadged by the likes of FongKai and Antec.

Last edited by SteveI; 13th July, 2002 at 12:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th July, 2002, 12:10 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

His KT7A-R may not support a Palomino, which is a pretty good reason not to get one. I have the same board, Rev 1.0. Palomino is supported only in versions 1.3 and above. If you have below Rev 1.3, your AXP may or may not work. I have a Morgan (not-supported) running fine on the board, but like I said, it's more of a luck issue than anything else.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......

Last edited by mookydooky; 13th July, 2002 at 12:14 PM.
Old 13th July, 2002, 12:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky
His KT7A-R may not support a Palomino, which is a pretty good reason not to get one. I have the same board, Rev 1.0. Palomino is supported only in versions 1.3 and above. If you have below Rev 1.3, your AXP may or may not work. I have a Morgan (not-supported) running fine on the board, but like I said, it's more of a luck issue than anything else.
Oops... I totally forgot. good catch mooky.
Old 13th July, 2002, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Hmmm... If you are sure it's the CPU...
newegg has the 1600+ XP for $70.
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it was AGOIA, and is running smooth at 1750. I know some people have a preference for Tbirds still, but with lower heat and higher clocks, I honestly don't know why they don't prefer XPs.
Is the AGOIA factory unlocked? You got me thinking now, I could put my 1.4 on Dan's ABIT (not sure wnat rev it is so yeah, not going to put an XP on it only to find out it won't take it) and buy myself an XP. I wonder if that would work? I know the EPOX will take an XP.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 13th July, 2002, 06:09 PM
AOA Staff

The AXP is NOT factory unlocked. Unless you're shooting for 200FSB, you don't really need to unlock it. You should be able to hit 166, which would take you to 1750Mhz, on your 8KHA+ without a problem if you get an AGOIA stepping. Your Samsung DDR runs natively at 166 so you shouldn't have a problem with memory holding you back. Take a shot if need a new processor. the 1600+ is selling for $70 which is a pretty good price for a processor of its power. You should also have less heat to deal with if you run the same speed as a T-bird. If you run it at 1750, the heat output is probably about the same as a T-bird at 1400-1500Mhz.

AOA Team fah

Old 13th July, 2002, 06:17 PM

Tanks, mon. I'll try it!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 13th July, 2002, 06:56 PM
AOA Staff

One thing that might hold you back from 166FSB might be your SCSI controller. Depending on how sensitive it is to high bus speeds, it might crap out on you. Also, you may have to time down your HD to ATA66 like I did. The thing is, at 166FSB, ATA66 benches higher than ATA100 at 133FSB.

AOA Team fah

Old 13th July, 2002, 07:18 PM

Cool, that explains why the 1.4 won't run any faster. I crapped out my hard drive last night trying to get it to 1.6 with just 152 bus. I had to do a recovery to get the registry back. Where do I go to set the ATA to 66?

Old 13th July, 2002, 08:08 PM
AOA Staff

In the BIOS, go to "Integrated Peripherals," then "VIA Onchip IDE Device." From there select the UDMA channel you have your HD connected to and press enter. It should give you choices of what speed you want the HD to run at.

AOA Team fah

Old 13th July, 2002, 09:26 PM

Danka. I'm looking to order this:

From New Egg

AMD Athlon 1600+/266 FSB XP PROCESSOR CPU - OEM Athlon XP 1600+/ 1.40GHz, AX1600DMT3C. The AMD Athlon XP processor with QuantiSpeed architecture powers the next generation in computing platforms, delivering extra performance for cutting-edge applications and an extraordinary computing experience.
Specifications:
CPU: 1.4 GHz
Type: 1600 XP
Cache: 256K
BUS: 266MHz
Socket A (PGA) OEM (Processor Only)) Model#: AX1600DMT3C
$67.00

Wadda ya think?

BTW, thanks for the help.

Old 13th July, 2002, 09:34 PM
AOA Staff

That's what I got and I got it from the same place. I paid $8 more than you did though...If you get an AGOIA like I did, you shouldn't have any problems running it at 1750Mhz. Right now I've got it up to 1826Mhz, but the stupid Crucial RAM (even at 3.0V and 3/4 speed at normal timings) is limiting me now. I've got to get another one of those Samsung sticks. If you luck out and get an AROIA, you should be able to hit 1900 Mhz with your mobo.

AOA Team fah

Old 13th July, 2002, 10:40 PM

OK, I'll order it now, wish me luck!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 19th July, 2002 at 07:12 AM.
Old 14th July, 2002, 04:30 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Naturally, Enhance makes a few 300W models. Perhaps not so naturally, more than one of them is less than enthusiastic in its critical 3.3v + 5v Wattage capability. If I read the site right, only one of the 300 Watters produces AMD friendly 3.3v + 5v Wattage.

I'm just trying to make the point that the model numbers of PS's DO count. I took a retailer's word that PS such and such was AMD approved. As PT Barnum said, "sucker!" Upon examination of the model number, the sworn good for AMD PS ain't.
Old 19th July, 2002, 07:14 AM

OK, here is what I got:

AX1600 MT3C
AROIA 0213 MPM

So, not an AGOIA afterall, but an AROIA.

Now, how about some advice on how to "spice this thing up"?

I want to take it a little bit at a time. It still seems to be running almost as hot as my AHYJA was, delta 40 F.

Old 19th July, 2002, 12:22 PM
AOA Staff

Ok, first of all, the 8K3A+ reads temps from the AXP off the INTERNAL thermal diode on the chip. It reads temps off the T-Bird from an in-socket thermistor. Readings from the internal diode of the AXP will invariably be higher than the thermistor. As ET mentioned before, it's hotter in the center of the sun than on the surface. I believe Holst said typical readings were about 10C higher than readings from a socket thermistor. If you're getting the same temp reading for your T-Bird and your AXP, it basically means the AXP is running about 10C lower.

If I were you, I'd take your rig straight to 166FSB and then go up from there. The AROIA is considered a better stepping than the AGOIA. Not by much, but still better. Good Luck!

AOA Team fah

Old 19th July, 2002, 12:31 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
OK, here is what I got:
So, not an AGOIA afterall, but an AROIA.
ooh! oooh!
Go right to 166FSB. I wanna know how high she can go. My AGOIA started life @166, but won't do more... I'm going to unlock soon. Yours should go higher, no sweat.
Old 19th July, 2002, 12:34 PM

Ok, I'm pumped, when I get home (working 12 hr shift all night) and 'nap' I'll give it a try. Should I put my " HD to ATA66 like I did. The thing is, at 166FSB, ATA66 benches higher than ATA100 at 133FSB." Mook?

Old 19th July, 2002, 12:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Naturally, Enhance makes a few 300W models. Perhaps not so naturally, more than one of them is less than enthusiastic in its critical 3.3v + 5v Wattage capability. If I read the site right, only one of the 300 Watters produces AMD friendly 3.3v + 5v Wattage.

I'm just trying to make the point that the model numbers of PS's DO count. I took a retailer's word that PS such and such was AMD approved. As PT Barnum said, "sucker!" Upon examination of the model number, the sworn good for AMD PS ain't.
Actually, it makes perfect sense to me. Since power consumption demands for AMD and Intel are so different, it's better if mfgrs create separate lines, to better support the different needs. As an example, look at Enermax. For years, they had a great reputation. Then with the dawn of the Athlon, their reputation took a hit by all the AMD users who complained about the low 5v line. This is because they never built (and still don't) PSUs with AMD needs in mind. They have beefed up the 5v line, but did it across the board. Maybe this is better... but you know what happens when you try to make everyone happy with 1 product...
Old 19th July, 2002, 12:44 PM
AOA Staff

The 8K3A+ has a 1/5 divider that kicks in at 160 or there abouts. You can leave the IDE setting at ATA133. All your stuff will run at spec when the 1/5 divider kicks in so there's no need to time anything down. If you get much higher than 166, then you may need to drop the HD timings.

EDIT: I have a 8KHA+ which only has a 1/4 divider and at 166, the HD is WAYYY out of spec and won't take ATA100.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by mookydooky; 19th July, 2002 at 12:48 PM.