AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th July, 2002, 06:14 AM

ABIT KT7A RAID after 10 seconds it shutsdown

I am at my wits end!
I have a brand new ABIT KT7A RAID board and hooked up to an Enhance PSU Model # ATX 1125BTA 300Watt. I am using an Athlon T bird 1.33 Ghz, a Thermaltake Super Orb (both fans hooked up to the motherboard), a Hercules Prophet MMX 32 MB Video card, 1 stick of PC 133 Crucial 256 MB RAM.

The system starts up, all fans run (2 on cooler & 1 on Northbridge) I have nothing else hooked up to the power supply, and after 10 seconds it shutsdown.

Any ideas? I'm stumped here. The only card in the board is the video card. I get no signal on the screen.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 12th July, 2002 at 02:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th July, 2002, 06:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

you get no post screen? flashed the bios? all jumpers set correctly? nothing shorting? good powersupply?
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th July, 2002, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
you get no post screen? flashed the bios? all jumpers set correctly? nothing shorting? good powersupply?
I have not flashed the BIOS, I get nothing on the screen, there are no jumpers to set on this board.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 12th July, 2002, 07:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

sorry, meant cleared cmos. And you are sure that the videocard, ram, cpu is good? Try switching each thing, are you sure that the motherboard works?
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 12th July, 2002, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Spyder
sorry, meant cleared cmos. And you are sure that the videocard, ram, cpu is good? Try switching each thing, are you sure that the motherboard works?
THe only way the thing will start up is that after each fail, I have to clear the CMOS!
The vid card, RAM are good. pretty sure the CPU is, the board has just come back, it's an RMA.

Old 12th July, 2002, 03:43 PM

Thread bump, I'm at work today and still looking for ideas what the heck is wrong, folks!

Old 12th July, 2002, 03:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

That to me sounds like a mobo prob...

Do you have another board to try all of your parts in? Also reseat the video. I had a Soyo board that was EXTREMLY picky about the vid card seat. Do you get any beep codes?
Old 12th July, 2002, 04:59 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If you have to clear the cmos every time... definitely a mobo problem. You may have a corrupt bios. Try flashing the bios (even with the same one) and see if that helps. It could also be a bad bios chip or dead battery. If the board is new, it is possible it has been sitting on a shelf for a very long time befor getting to you. The KT7A does date back pretty far.
Old 12th July, 2002, 05:35 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

For Abit boards, I think there's an option in the BIOS for something like "Shutdown if no CPU fan connected." Try disabling that. Some mobos have problems with the way the HSF delivers the signal about it's speed and can't read it correctly.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 12th July, 2002, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuknow
That to me sounds like a mobo prob...

Do you have another board to try all of your parts in? Also reseat the video. I had a Soyo board that was EXTREMLY picky about the vid card seat. Do you get any beep codes?
No beeps at all
I do have a board that I just removed that works, I'll try it 2 nite

Old 12th July, 2002, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
If you have to clear the cmos every time... definitely a mobo problem. You may have a corrupt bios. Try flashing the bios (even with the same one) and see if that helps. It could also be a bad bios chip or dead battery. If the board is new, it is possible it has been sitting on a shelf for a very long time befor getting to you. The KT7A does date back pretty far.
Can't flash if mothing is on screen! Hopefully the CPU isn't bad then.

Old 12th July, 2002, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky
For Abit boards, I think there's an option in the BIOS for something like "Shutdown if no CPU fan connected." Try disabling that. Some mobos have problems with the way the HSF delivers the signal about it's speed and can't read it correctly.
Can't get into bios, nothing on screen! It shutsdown after 10 sec.

Old 12th July, 2002, 06:20 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob

Can't flash if mothing is on screen! Hopefully the CPU isn't bad then.
When you said you have to clear cmos after each failed boot... did you mean that it would then work, or would only boot for like 10 seconds. My leadtek board works in a similar way. If it fails to boot for any reason, I have to clear cmos to try again.

If it ever is able to boot up, your cpu is probably ok... I'm leaning toward a bad battery or bad bios, either corrupt or a bad bios chip.
Old 12th July, 2002, 07:07 PM
Banned

You said both fans are connected to the motherboard. I know I've read some board won't boot without a fan, make sure the cpu fan is in fan header 1 ("top" of mainboard).

Some power supplies shutdown because of heat sensors, etc. If you have a spare, see if that works. If there's a thermal sensor in the PSU that's defective, that could cause this issue.
Old 12th July, 2002, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

When you said you have to clear cmos after each failed boot... did you mean that it would then work, or would only boot for like 10 seconds. My leadtek board works in a similar way. If it fails to boot for any reason, I have to clear cmos to try again.

If it ever is able to boot up, your cpu is probably ok... I'm leaning toward a bad battery or bad bios, either corrupt or a bad bios chip.
It won't completely boot at all. Correct, I have to clear CMOS each time to get it to try for 10 seconds to boot. I have another battery i can put in.

Old 12th July, 2002, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
You said both fans are connected to the motherboard. I know I've read some board won't boot without a fan, make sure the cpu fan is in fan header 1 ("top" of mainboard).

Some power supplies shutdown because of heat sensors, etc. If you have a spare, see if that works. If there's a thermal sensor in the PSU that's defective, that could cause this issue.
I have the fans both in the correct headers. I tried them in the 3 7 4 spot as well, no go. I do not have another PSU. It runs all my fans (2 case fans), both hard drives spin up, both CD drives light up and the floppy light works for all it's worth.

Iv'e tried to boot with all this stuff connected and disconnected, no change. I currently have everything disconnected, even the floppy and it acts exactly the same. I have a brand new harddrive and so I am attempting to boot with a good WIN 98 Start up disk. It never even gets to the point of trying to read the darn thing. Never goes through BIOS check.

Thanks for all the help, don't give up on me! I'm putting this computer together with my 13 yearold son. It's his birthday present and he's kinda (understate,emt) dissapointed it ain't just up and running like dumb old Dad told him it would be!

"Yes, son, this will be a piece of cake. Don't worry, son, Dad can do anything"

.....as he crawls under a rock!

"Thunk!"......... sound of Dad pulling his head out of his.....(expletive deleted)

Old 13th July, 2002, 01:17 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Seems odd. You may have to pirate your main system for parts to check out. If it was a bad CPU, it would just sit there indefinitely with the fans spinning and the lights lit up. Since it is shutting down, I tend to think it may be the PSU. You may want to try pulling out the PSU from your system to test your son's new rig... Just connect the mobo and see if you can get it to post.

The other finger points to a bad mobo.. clearing the cmos is doing something to allow it to power up (briefly), so somewhere between your mobo and psu are the likely culprits. If it were any other components, clearing the cmos shouldn't change anything.

(BTW: hang in there, my boy's only 8, and it won't be long until he builds his first PC)
Old 13th July, 2002, 05:44 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm thinking insufficient power from the PS, too. "Enhance" brand? Uuh, is this a wonderful PS that I've never heard of? Dang it, AMD doesn't list "Approved" PS's anymore.

When AMD DID list them, I wound up with an unhappy face a couple times. All those pesky model numbers! Guess what, cloasters? What. Your AMD Approved Enlight Pi** Sh**. Ahem, PS(hiss, boo!) is nothing of the sort. B..but the store said "AMD approved."

The endless string of model ID numbers were NOT approved by AMD. There's a Barnum defined idiot born every minute. If the PS ain't heavy, it ain't your brother. And my Enlight "300W" "PS" is as light as a feather.
Old 13th July, 2002, 06:43 AM

Here is a list of AMD approved PSUs. Enhance is listed.

This is from Enhance USA page:

Output Wattage 300W
Mechanical Type ATX12V-PS2
Dimension Width: 150mm (5.9"),
Length: 140mm (5.5"),
Height: 86mm (3.38")
AC Input Spec 115V@8.0A/60Hz or
230V@4.5A/50Hz, Manual Select

DC Output Spec
Voltage 3.3V
5V
12V
-12V
-5V
5Vsb

Current 20A
26A
13A
0.8A
0.5A
2.0A

Combined Load 175W

Application Note DVT Report FAQ Specification User Manual
Safety Approved CB Nemko TUV UL/CUL
EMI DOC CE FCC-B
Suggested Product Case Motherboard

Here is Enhance's design criteria. it says "All AMD Processors up to XP".

Old 13th July, 2002, 07:38 AM

As far as I can tell, it's a bad procesor. I had two 'spare' processors: AMD Tbird 1.33 (AXIA), and an AMD Tbird 1.40 (AYHJA>>>sob) I had been trying on the ABIT board with no post. Both will not work on my EPOX board! I have an AYHJA 1.4 I use and it works fine. So it's off to the 'new egg' folks (thanks everyone for turning me on to them....great prices!) and I will get an AMD 1.33 (AYHJA) for $70.

Anybody need a cute keychain fob?

I'll not probably get order processed till Monday, so it will be a few days. (free shipping tho!) I'll keep y'all posted, thanks everybody!