AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th July, 2002, 11:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to CaesaR

Heat Wtf !!!

Ok, heres the background info im running a AMD t-bird 900 with 384MB of SD pc-133 ram and a GeForce 4 MX 460 64MB now its 33*C Outside(No Air Conditioner and the comp is on a ground floor and my room faces the sunset) and 55*C Processor and 34*Mobo now whenever i have MP3s running or im at a heavy load or games ect it will freeze on me and i THINK its heat but im not sure and ive been having this problem with my comp ever since i bought it and the retards at the shop will fix it then it will go back to its old ways a week later and im getting REALLY pissed because its been happening for almost 1yr i have a 100mm fan blowing IN and a Blue orb(w/o heatsink) ion my chassis and the stock heatsink/fan AND ABOVE ALL i have a 18" fan blowing in the open expansion ports and BOTH side panels taken off.

Any suggestions ?

-pat
120gig 7200RPM 8meg Cache
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th July, 2002, 02:49 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The stock HSF may well be the culprit. The Thermalright AX-7 is the best bang for buck HS available. However, it's designed for an 80mm fan. This is a big heatsink that may not fit your mainboard. Thermalright's SK-6 is designed for a regular 60mm fan, it's also a great deal. Arctic Silver, or Rad Shack's white thermal paste is necessary. Whether generic or Arctic Silver, it must be applied to the top of the processor in a paper thin, uniform layer.

If you've never installed your own HSF before, you should ask for advice right here, and also see if www.lostcircuits.com. , www.overclockers.com.au , or www.overclockers.com has a read-me or how-to that covers this. AMD's little glass slugs are fragile, they must be handled with care.
Old 29th July, 2002, 06:43 PM
Banned

Stock heatsink was the first thing that I saw as well.
Old 30th July, 2002, 04:55 AM

a blue orb...where??

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2002, 03:40 AM

i took off the heatsink and stuck the fan on the back of the case......with a heatsink would the orb be better than the stock heatsink on my proc ?
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 31st July, 2002, 04:07 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by CaesaR
i took off the heatsink and stuck the fan on the back of the case......with a heatsink would the orb be better than the stock heatsink on my proc ?
Good Lord, surely you didn't remove the heatsink and its fan from your processor? If the heatsink(without its fan) is still on your CPU, please replace the fan on it, pronto. If both the heatsink and fan are missing from the CPU, it's time to buy a new CPU. Because Athlons are toast after 14 seconds of running with no heatsink.

Blue Orb's are designed for GPU's, only. Any and all Thermaltake Orb's dont belong on AMD's CPU's. As suggested earlier, a Thermalright SK-6 is good bang for buck. A Vantec FCE-62450D is cheap if you can find one. Also, it mounts extremely easily.
Old 31st July, 2002, 07:09 PM

woooooo, no i took if the heatsink for the ORB and put the ORB without the fan on my CHASSIS ! not on the proc
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 31st July, 2002, 07:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally posted by CaesaR
woooooo, no i took if the heatsink for the ORB and put the ORB without the fan on my CHASSIS ! not on the proc

do you mean the chipset? I am quite cornfused...

If your trying to remove heat from your case you will need something that can move some good amount of air. A standard 80 mm fan will help, but with out air and high room temps you are gonna need a tornado in that case along with a good HSF.
Old 1st August, 2002, 08:26 AM
Member/Contributer

Your best bet is to get a better HSF than the stock one you are now using. I really think this is your main week point. Look into some of the HSF's that were discussed earlier by cloasters. Just make sure you get something that will fit the MoBo as there are sometimes Capacitors in the way for some HSFs. The Orb is not an option. Orbs are one of the worst cooling but best looking HSFs out there. It's all looks, sorry.

You may wish to try and balance the flow of air coming in and blowing out of the case. Sounds like you have them all blowing in. You will need to find where the heat sits in your case and try to exhaust it out. Remember, Balance is the key to airflow.
----------------------------------------------

Old 2nd August, 2002, 05:37 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Whew! Glad that I didn't understand what you originally posted, CaesaR! It's nice to be wrong sometimes.

After you put a decent HSF and thermal paste on your processor, it'll be time to think about your case's cooling. A K7 CPU needs 100 cfm throughput, unless you have ducting for the processor installed. When you draw cool air into the case through a small duct, so that the processor is blasted with it, this decreases the need for "brute force" case cooling.

Brute force is fine, but tends to be noisy. Achieving 100 cfm with 80 mm fans is difficult--or at least it makes cutting more holes through the case's side and top necessary. You need less 120 mm fans to move 100cfm. It's quieter too.
Old 6th August, 2002, 09:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

CaesaR, is your heat problem no longer a problem? I hope it isn't! However, if it still plagues you, we're all ears. Eyes, at any rate.
Old 12th August, 2002, 03:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cheesy

"Any and all Thermaltake Orb's dont belong on AMD's CPU's."

/me looks slightly confused and points at his sig furiously
Abit KD7-RAID -- 2500+ XP @ 2367mhz + Alpha PAL -- 512mb PC3500 DDR -- Leadtek GF4 Ti4400 @ 320/680 + Tt GFX Cooler -- 17" Sony G200 -- 80mm YS-Tech -- 120GB WD SE -- 80GB WD SE -- Lite-On 52/24/52 CD-RW -- LG 48x DVD -- Iomega 100mb Zip USB -- 4 Ports Firewire -- 12 Ports USB -- MS Sidewinder Pad + Wheel -- Saitek Cyborg 3d Gold USB -- MS Intellimouse Explorer -- Kodak DX3700 Digital Camera
Old 12th August, 2002, 05:40 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy
"Any and all Thermaltake Orb's dont belong on AMD's CPU's."

* Cheesy looks slightly confused and points at his sig furiously
You got a good chip there if it can abide an orb! get something beefy on it and you should be able to go higher!

Orbs in general arent a good solution, some people such as yourself get lucky with them, but i can guarantee you that it will run hotter than something with a more effective heatsink.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 13th August, 2002, 12:05 AM

I got a 1800+xp coming in a few weeks time, I'm hoping my Orb will still be able to prove you all wrong
Abit KD7-RAID -- 2500+ XP @ 2367mhz + Alpha PAL -- 512mb PC3500 DDR -- Leadtek GF4 Ti4400 @ 320/680 + Tt GFX Cooler -- 17" Sony G200 -- 80mm YS-Tech -- 120GB WD SE -- 80GB WD SE -- Lite-On 52/24/52 CD-RW -- LG 48x DVD -- Iomega 100mb Zip USB -- 4 Ports Firewire -- 12 Ports USB -- MS Sidewinder Pad + Wheel -- Saitek Cyborg 3d Gold USB -- MS Intellimouse Explorer -- Kodak DX3700 Digital Camera
Old 23rd August, 2002, 12:35 PM

Did I say 1800+? Well hell, my girlfriend was feeling generous and I've now got a 2000+ XP. And the Orb is keeping it at the same temps as my Tbird ever was - 41c idle in a 25c system, and this is quite a hot summer day in old England.

I only just saw for myself how small those L1 bridges are. I don't reckon I'll ever manage to unlock the bastard!
Old 23rd August, 2002, 01:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

What kind of case cooling are ya running? I have a cheapie HSF from Antec and I can get 42- 44 C running FAH but this is with a few fans running....
Old 23rd August, 2002, 02:51 PM

It's an Overclockers.co.uk Coolercase Storm - 2 ystech 120mms (1 in, one out) and 2 80mm ystech (1 in, 1 out). It's loud but it works.
I also have a crystal orb for the mobo fan but its not attatched at the moment coz i'm lacking in epoxy.
Old 23rd August, 2002, 10:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm glad to read that cheesy beat the Thermaltake lottery! Having righteous throughput is always a good feature, too. I think that the recent Volcano's from Thermaltake work well--but I don't know if their attachment method is as poor as the Orbs.
Old 23rd August, 2002, 11:15 PM

Hehe, I don't know which Orb you are talking about, but the clip on my Dragonorb 3 is a monster thing, using all 3 clasps (it weighs something like 500g so it needs em all).

I've also got it plugged into my mobo fan plug instead of a molex. I know this isnt the suggested thing to do, but I reckon if it was going to blow up it would have done so by now? I 've had it for nearly a year.

Can someone remind me of any problems that i should watch out for with this thing on the mobo? I was never really sure of the possible consequences.

I'm something of a Thermaltake fanboy - I gotta get myself one of those new cases to complete the motif. I reckon the aluminium one with the huge window and the Hardcano inside would suit the bill - I just can't even afford some epoxy right now

Last edited by Cheesy; 23rd August, 2002 at 11:18 PM.