AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th August, 2002, 05:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Question HELP! HDD Crash!

My HDD crashed and would not be read by Windows. I tried recovering the data from DOS...can't be read. Trieed a dozen or so recovery tools...no dice. I have 2.4gigs of pics movies of my daughter on there and I reeeeaaaaly want them back. It's killing me! 2 years of stuff in there. I was making it into albums then going to save to CD...then the crash.

Anyone know of a utility I can use to recover them? Windows eventually 'saw' the drive, but formatted it to make it readable, which wiped it clean. If ANYONE can help me, I'll cut off my right arm and mail it to you overnight (not really, but you see my concern)

mojo's on his knees at this point, head hung low with a little tear in his right eye...damn...this sux.... any ideas?
Old 9th August, 2002, 06:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Let me make a call and ill get the name of a program that can recover fomated data :-D- dont worrie
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th August, 2002, 07:25 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The reformat just added another wrinkle.. THere are proggies out there that are supposed to be able to un-format (I'm sure Spyder will come throught for you.) ... But you'll have the same problem as before. If it's FAT32, you should be able to recover at least parts.. Also, since your HW seems ok now, you should have better luck than I did.. My drive was in the throws of death when I got some data off.
Old 10th August, 2002, 01:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

as an option of last resort i think you can always take it to a data recovery company; they have machines and such that will simply slowly, repetitely, and exactly read the whole drive... the drive wont be useable after that (i think, since they tear it open to get at the platters)
Old 12th August, 2002, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the help and suggs, but I found out it was from a bad IDE cable. Two of the wires were cut and touching eachother. It sorrupted the D drive (526 bad clusters..OMG) and the same for the C drive the next day. Didn't look at the # of bad clusters...was too pi$$ed.

Aside from all that, I replaced the cable, fot my images back and scrapped the rest. I was able to recover using Fast File Undelete. Found about 100,000 files and most were fragged to hell, but the pics? Got them all since my last backup. Lost the albums and stuff I created, but the pics and movies are there. SOOOOOO happy to have the pics of my daughter back
Old 12th August, 2002, 03:33 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Cool, glad you got back want counts most.
Old 12th August, 2002, 11:34 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Hehehe let me find my post about my scsi cable, if it's still around
Old 12th August, 2002, 11:35 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

I rock \m/ \m/

rah
Old 13th August, 2002, 12:19 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Whew now this is good news, unclemojo! AFAIK, the outfits that do data recovery charge a fortune for their services.
Old 13th August, 2002, 01:20 AM

Yes, good news indeed! I was pretty bummed when I lost everything, but the pictures were the knife in my back so to speak. I've since burned them all onto CD in duplicate so this never happens again. Something I should have done in the first place.

Your nick looks pretty similar to mine did, b0bb1nz. It was so small. I'l glad it poked my finger and made me look for something sharp. Who knows how long it would have taken me to check the tips of rounded cables

Last edited by unclemojo; 13th August, 2002 at 01:23 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th August, 2005, 04:41 AM

Hello and ARGH Help me please. My back up data storage (80gb) has somehow gone blank file wise but only has 6gb free. A few simple and incomplete recovery tool programs have said that all my files are still there and still intact, but how/ what program can i use to get them?

I'm incredibly desperate. All pics, movies, vids, documents, aRGH!