AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th August, 2002, 05:13 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Dead Mobos

I have 3 identical Abit VT6x4 (slot1) mobos, with 3 celeron 566's from the same batch, using a slotket. Some of you may recall, 1 of these bad boys died on me a few months ago... A second one just went, and I'm at a loss.. Same exact symptoms. Overclock stopped working. Then even stock. Now when I boot I get to the same spot every time and it hangs.

With the second one that died, I can't figure it out. Swapped mem, dumbed down timings, swapped PSU, swapped CPU from working sys, vid, nic. I even swapped bios chips from working system. No go...

The weird part is the screen, see below, top left corner "CPU", the P dissappears, and if you look closely a piece of the line is missing from the box, and one of the "0" is missing in the PCI device listing. Now when I switched bios chips, I got the same exact thing. Any ideas??? I'm OK with the board being dead... but it's not actually dead, it's doing something. Please help me understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Dead Mobos-dsc00265.jpg  
Old 10th August, 2002, 06:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Ok i have a bunch of VH6 abits dying and its because the capasitors are blowing, taking the processor and powersupplies with them........ it REALY SUCKS................make sure that none of your caps have "rounded tops"
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th August, 2002, 06:47 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

You mean like bubbled up Spyder?
Hummmm...... Ya know, it wouldn't be that hard to replace those. Hell even Radio Shack sells a box of verious caps.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th August, 2002, 06:57 AM
Banned

Abit sells features, not quality components... these issues are widespread and give Abit (it's deservingly) bad reputation.

I had an abit VA6 board that a capacitor blew, fortunately nothing else died as a result. I know others with the same experience.
Old 10th August, 2002, 09:12 AM

i dont want to spend the time........ i have 5 now........ but no processors...........
AOA Team fah
Old 10th August, 2002, 02:05 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

CPUs are fine, I'm sure it's mobo only. All cap's fine too. Definitely low quality boards tho.
Old 10th August, 2002, 02:06 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Abit sells features, not quality components... these issues are widespread and give Abit (it's deservingly) bad reputation.

I had an abit VA6 board that a capacitor blew, fortunately nothing else died as a result. I know others with the same experience.
Don't scare me Pinky, I just ordered the AT7. I read some of the older stuff self destructs, but the newer boards were supposed to be much better.
Old 10th August, 2002, 06:27 PM

I have the AT7 MAX and its definitly quality! Except i broke the only ****ING usb keryboard i had!!!
AOA Team fah
Old 11th August, 2002, 02:19 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sorry that these board's are going TU on you, SteveI!
I bought one Abit mainboard 'cause at the time it was the only 440BX mobo that let you adjust FSB via the BIOS. The board was a nightmare. Fortunately the guy behind the counter knew that I really wanted an Asus P2-B. He traded me across the counter, one P2-B for me, one pos Abit board for him.

Funny, since then I've never bought anything with "Abit" printed on it. I would consider a GF from them, but that's it.
Old 11th August, 2002, 08:06 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Hey! I've got an Abit MX400 to live with!
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Don't scare me Pinky, I just ordered the AT7. I read some of the older stuff self destructs, but the newer boards were supposed to be much better.
So
Old 12th August, 2002, 01:26 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Dunno if I remember this right, OK? I think I saw an item on the 'Net a couple of years ago that stated that Abit contracted their Vidcards out.
Old 12th August, 2002, 03:35 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Funny, since then I've never bought anything with "Abit" printed on it. I would consider a GF from them, but that's it.
They're selling girlfriends now? How much are they?

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 12th August, 2002, 11:33 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

I have 3 abit boards, they're fking ace
Old 12th August, 2002, 11:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

I've only ever had one bad abit board, and that was problematic from purchase and it was replaced. I have always liked them.