AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12th August, 2002, 10:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

games crashing

Listen to these weird symptoms.
ALL my games will crash and close upon starting them and return me to the desktop or they will freeze upon initial loading. HOWEVER, I can run Mark 3d without a hitch and get a normal score without any freezing. Everything else on the computer works well. JUST the games won't run.
So far I have done the following:
1. re-installed direct x 8.1 ( although I did not uninstall it, I just installed over it).
2. Re-installed the video driver.( Here again I did not un-install it but with the Omega drivers, they claim no uninstall is necessary).
3. re-installed the 4 in 1 440va driver. ( Here again, I did not uninstall the old 4 in 1's. I just installed over the top of my old 440va driver.

None of this made a hill of beans difference. I of course go that same error message and the prompt for trying to find the ATIMACH.CAT file on the Windows 98 disk and of course I skipped it as it isn't there. This happened on the last install of the 440va as well.
As a side note, I benchmarked my two hard drives using Sandra and my IBM AT-100 40gig which is what these games are loaded on had a terrible score of like 1,900. My Maxtor ATA-133 40 gig had a much better score of 2,800. I am wondering if my HD is trying to give it up or crash? Both are 7200rpm and 2meg buffer. Shouldn't be that much diff in the bench???
Anyone have any clue on this? Please see my config. below:

Epox 8K3A mobo, 2619 bios.
XP-1700+, ARKGA-Y, 133mhz/1.75v.
CPU temps: 42C idle/50C loaded.
Vantec CCK-6035D w/ Delta 60mm 50cfm fan (DELTA38).
Samsung PC-2700 512 Megs, (TCB3).
mem-v 2.7v. with Heatspreaders.
Radeon 8500 retail card 300/300 w/
Crystal Orb and memory heatsinks.
Omega 2.4.31a driver.
IBM 46gig, UDMA-100, 7,200 rpm HD.
Maxtor 40gig UDMA-133,7200rpm HD
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
Leadman/PowMax 500 watt PSU.
5 volt line=4.95v. 3.3volt line=3.27v.
Monsoon model MM-1000 Speakers.
Optiquest v-95 19” monitor.
Old 13th August, 2002, 12:14 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maybe moving the games to the "better" hard drive might give you a better idea of WTH is going on. Are either of the HDD's more than 90% full?
Old 13th August, 2002, 03:02 AM
Member/Contributer

Forgive me if I overlooked this in the post but which O/S are you using. If it's 2000 ( Not a very good gaming O/S I might add ) did you recently upgrade to the SP3? Sounds like the same thing a lot of people are reporting from the recent upgrade to SP3.

Just a thought.
----------------------------------------------

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2002, 04:40 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I had this happend to me too. I wrote about it here.
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showt...1760#post81760

Basicly, run a scandisk and it SHOULD work fine. (my OS=win98se)
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah

Last edited by robbie; 13th August, 2002 at 05:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2002, 07:57 PM

Thanks guys for all the comments and sugestions.
Lets see here. My OS is win98se fully updated. I have run Scandisk several times and no improvement.
Now, my IBM drive which is the bad performer is a 40gig drive with an 8gig partition. It is using about 7gigs with a gig to spare. The Maxtor which has the very high benchmark, is presently nearly empty and is a 40 gig also. I am thinking of doing exactly what was suggested. I just got some new software (partition magic) and I am going to copy the IBM drive intact over to the Maxtor and see if it solves the problem. At the same time I am going to re-partition the IBM to one big 40gig drive and see if that helps.
You know, it wouldn't suporise me for a second if the whole problem is this IBM drive. Twice now in the last few months, I have been unable to boot from the IBM and went into the bios and found it undetected ,and in the listing for the drive, all it had was a bunch of meaningless symbols and gobbly gook. After trying to redect it manually a few times, it will finally kick in and start working again. It's kind of like it gets scrambled or something. Your thoughts on all of this??
Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 13th August, 2002, 10:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

After a long and happy high performance life, my 46.1 Gb(before formatting)) 75GXP went TU. In a long, regretful goodbye, it proceeded to pull the same unforgiveable crap all over again.

If five, that's 5 months is a long and happy life, then my IBM was like, totally cool.

It was an expensive HDD, too. Saving it to see how the class action suit works out. Why don't I send it back to the retailer, or Big Shrew? Because I don't want a used 60GXP! Even if it's 100 Gb. They are also pos's.

How I love IBM, let me count the ways...........

The bieeahtch is that IBM's are still the fastest IDE HDD's. Leaving ATA-133's out of the picture. A fast drive means sweet Fanny Adams if it goes plop long before it should.
Old 13th August, 2002, 10:19 PM

So given all of your comments and what you have said, does it sound to you like my IBM is at the root of the problem? Do these symptoms sound familiar to you? Also, what are your thoughts on hard drives now. How are the newer IBM's are they any good. It seems that Maxtor has the best price to value ratio. And I love the idea of the ATA-133 for all of the folks who have the chipsets to take advantage of it. Tell me what you think. MIke

By the way, my HD is the exact same model as yours and same capacity
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.

Last edited by thehandler; 13th August, 2002 at 10:22 PM.
Old 15th August, 2002, 05:13 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Ya know the best bet for hard drives I found is to get a good cooler for it. Mine use to get really HOT, but I added a $10 cooler to it and it must have dropped like 20 degress!!! I can touch it now.

If you want to see what cooler I added just check out the case modes section. I added some pix recently and it should be in there. Or PM me for a link
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 15th August, 2002, 06:29 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

No doubt, the IBM 75GXP's get HOT. Fast. Two minutes after boot, mine was uncomfortable to touch.

The 75GXP's usually go bad in one of two ways. A sudden loud click or three, and that's all she wrote. Or Bad Sectors turn up in about 3 Gb. After running IBM's Drive Fitness Test, you're told to write all zero's to the drive. Voila, it's just fine. Time to fdisk, format and reinstall everything. Then it happens again a couple of months later. And WTH is the point of fixing the pos with the pos DFT?

If your IBumMer hasn't done these things, it's probably OK. Maybe you're lucky, the HDD might work fine for you for a long time.

Last edited by cloasters; 16th August, 2002 at 02:07 AM.
Old 15th August, 2002, 12:54 PM

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Get the 4.42v(a) drivers.

Try them out... and cross your fingers.

That Cat file is needed by the southbridge if I'm not mistaken. Currently I'm at work on a P4, when I get home I'll check. But I do believe that Cat file is needed.

Oh and for IBM GXP drives... a single 80 or 92mm fan for 2 of them makes them happy as they can be.

I ran 3 IBM GXP's for over a year without any problems from the drives. 2 30gig GXP75's and 1 40gig GXP60.

As long as you keep them cool you will be okay. Having them in a warm case with no ventilation (for the drive) is a bad thing. They need at least a small fan to keep air circulating across them.

IBM's Deskstar and UltraStar drives share alot of components internally. The main difference's being the circuit board on the bottom and the connectors at the rear (Ultra Star's are Scuzie's with larger cache size's).

With the IBM's never double stack them. If your 3 1/2 internal bays have 3 spots put 1 drive in the top one and the 2nd drive in the bottom one, leaving the middle slot open. If you have 2 internal 3 1/2 drive cages (say a total of 4 to 6 3 1/2 bays). Put 1 drive in each cage. If you have the Lian Li case (which has a 5bay 3 1/2 cage at the bottom) stick the drives in slots 2 and 4. Just some ideas for making your equipment last longer.

IBM drives will not be the fastest drives in 3 months. Serial ATA is coming the Baracuda's will probably rule the roost then. And they get warm too!!!
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's

Last edited by Bring the Noise; 15th August, 2002 at 01:04 PM.
Old 16th August, 2002, 02:01 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Some people have good luck with IBM GXP HDD's. Some don't. IMHO, if IBM was concerned with heat, they should have made it clear that "HDD Cooler is Required."

My boxes have 100 cfm throughput. I think this is OK for a drive that's not 'caveated' "gotta use HDD cooler!"

So far, my 40 Gb 'Cuda IV's run very cool-- at least compared to the IBumMer.

Gosh, Seagate goes to the trouble of covering the circuit board with aluminum, and Gasp! Making the 4-Pin Power connector reasonably strong-- instead of the horse apples that IBM pulled with their miserable design of the 75GXP's "Molex" male plug, that's held in place by four solder joints. And that's all. I sweated every time I had to plug or unplug the power on my IBM.

Amazingly, Seagate uses an aluminum alloy for the Barracuda IV's casing. IBM uses what seems to be pure aluminum. In other words, "go ahead, look at my pre-tapped holes for mounting screws. Sucker! You just stripped them!"

Do I have an attitude about 75GXP's? After paying ~$160 for about seven months of use from my 46.1 Gb, yes I do. Abit sold me a lemon mainboard years ago. Do I have an attitude about Abit? Ya sure, you betcha!

I'm glad that some folks are happy with their GXP's. I wish I was, too. IBM proves itself just as irresponsible as the next corporate crook. It continues to deny that any untoward percentage of its drives are pos's. There are at least fifty thousand 75GXP owner's, especially of the 30 Gb and 45 Gb models that know differently.
Ho hum. Ka-ching!
Old 20th August, 2002, 04:45 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

thehandler, did your gaming problem get fixed?
Old 20th August, 2002, 02:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Add me to the ANTI-IBM list, please. 6 months on my 40gig until it 'lost' the C partition.

Maxtor ATA-133's for me... 2 of them. No issues at all.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 24th August, 2002, 07:22 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

If you have installed SP3 for 2K pro, you get to reload. It screws everything up, especially games.
Old 24th August, 2002, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Southern Man
Forgive me if I overlooked this in the post but which O/S are you using. If it's 2000 ( Not a very good gaming O/S I might add ) did you recently upgrade to the SP3? Sounds like the same thing a lot of people are reporting from the recent upgrade to SP3.

Just a thought.
I disagree with win2k being a poor gaming OS with SP2 installed my system will run any modern game, gets 3dmark score that puts most GF4 users to shame with only a GF3 and is VERY stable.

Ive not installed SP3 and I wont be as it just seems to add a load of M$ crap.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 26th August, 2002, 04:36 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

And what do you suggest for games?

Windows 98? (yes, I am laughing.)
Old 26th August, 2002, 07:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm just a casual rather than dedicated gamer. I had no probs with H-L, Q2 and 3 and UT under 98SE. Plain 98 is bad news, IMHO.

Which OS is best for gaming? That's a very tough Q. I have to admit that my 98SE installation's went weird after six months, maximum. They went bad on me after four months, usually. Recently, the time that an installation of 98SE remained A-OK got shorter and shorter.

I dunno whether a "you are going to die, 98SE!" file(s) were included in MS's Update service. I hate to think that MS would do that. Yet how low will the thing at the helm of MS stoop to conquer? Is there a pit deep enough?

I dunno if this is still true. Folks that loaded W2K used to complain bitterly about the OS's incompatibility with many games, even the most popular ones. One way to decrease probs with games was to simply keep the partition or drive that the OS was installed on FAT32. The NTFS seemed to be less than enthused with a lot of games.

Why not post a question under the OS, Software, Firmware and BIOS Topic Heading? Many people want to know the answer to: What is the best MS or other OS for gaming?
Old 27th August, 2002, 04:35 AM

I have been running win 2k for a year now, and it runs ALMOST every game i have tried on it. Just a couple of problems, and thats usually on an older game. Havnt had any problems with SP3, and i just reacently switched to NTFS and havent had any problems with that either, except that i cant overclock my FSB as much.

Watercooled Barton 2500+ AGOIA-Y @ 2300 (11.5x200) 1.85v
Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400