AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th August, 2002, 08:23 PM

Angry Games locking and crashing

Hi,
I've got a problem with my ti4200 and XP that I just cant solve.
My specs :
Athlon XP 2100
512DDR
Epox 8KHAL KT266A
MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb
XP pro
DSL Internet connection
Budget case and 300 psu

When im playing any 3D shooter online/single player (quake3, SOF2, RTCW) the system either locks up or it causes an application error (at varying points of the game).
Heres what I’ve tried:
· Updated the mobo BIOS to the latest available
· Installed Via 4 in 1 drivers, the latest available
· Have tried the following detonators
Also tried the OEM drivers that MSI supplied and the latest msi drivers off their site
· Reinstalled XP pro twice and also installed W2K SP3
· Geforce isn’t overclocked, my system temp is normal, ive checked the card and its not hot at all
Epox system health program in the BIOS and MBM show 4.83-4.87 as the 5 volt setting (havent got a clue what it all means)

I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the Ti4200 because when I swap it out for my old TNT2, all the games run very slow but doesn’t crash.

I can’t think of anything else to try except keep trying different detonators.

Can someone please help…..I’m sick of almost winning the round playing Quake3 online then crashing! It’s driving me nuts!

Thanks

Trick
Old 15th August, 2002, 09:03 PM
Banned

I had similar issues with UT, I don't know how exactly it finally got fixed, but I started looking at a possible software conflict. Long story short, I ended up turning off Outlook Express 99% of the time, only checking pop mail occassionally, and since I did that I seem to have less buggy behavior all-around...

M$
Old 16th August, 2002, 11:29 AM

Thanks M$. So you dont think its PSU related?
Old 16th August, 2002, 03:31 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I think it's most likely PSU related. You have a lot of stuff in your rig even if it's not overclocked. Your GF4200 needs a lot more juice than your TNT2. That probably explains the erratic behavior with the new card. If you have another PSU, try swapping it out to see if you get any more stability.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th August, 2002, 03:47 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Yeah It's PS related, I posted something in the INTEL section about hard locking. Turns out it was a WEAK PS. With YOUR system I'd say go AT LEAST 400W.

That video card is going to pull ALOT of power, as well as the CPU.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th August, 2002, 04:33 PM

Cheer guys.
I thought as much after reading some of the posts here.
I do have quite a few devices and a beefy cooler.
So should I get a 400watt psu or something higher?
I've reading that enermax psu's and epox dont like each other but that was related to 8kha+ and I have 8khal.
Any suggestions on a reasonable priced psu?

Thanks again...

trick
Old 16th August, 2002, 05:20 PM
AOA Staff

Hi trick,

The 8KHA+ and the 8KHAL are basically the same board. They both use 3 phase power and are equally power hungry. It's not so much the amount of power you need, but QUALITY power. You're correct in your assumption that Enermax and EPoX don't want to play. I have an Enermax 465 and it bites. Anyway, people have been having good success with Sparkle. I would recommend getting a Sparkle 350W. It reasonably priced and it's a quality PSU.

Good Luck,

Mook.

AOA Team fah

Old 17th August, 2002, 01:26 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

True. Big Wattage by itself doesn't count for much. It's very important that the PS's DC output is tightly regulated. AMD boxes also need a lot of Amperage available on the 5v rail, so that the 5v value won't sag.

While my SPI Sparkle 350 isn't a PC Power&Cooling PS(no matter how tightly I shut my eyes, then click my heels and ask to go Kansas) it's a very good "second best."

If you can afford the extra ~$25, the 400W SPI Sparkle PS is a better investment. PC's keep demanding more power, before we know it, 400W will be an "entry-level" PS.
Old 17th August, 2002, 01:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Hmm. I'm running an Enermax 435, and it works fine. Lucky, I guess. My 12v is at 12.10, my 5v is at 4.97, and I have my cpu and vdimm upped a couple notches.

I'z a lucky guy, though.. ;0)

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 17th August, 2002, 08:25 AM

400w Sparkle it is!

Thanks all for the top advice. I will be purchasing the psu on monday and will let all know how things go!

If it doesnt work I will give up quaking, dump my girfriend, go to China and join the Shaolin monks! You think a PSU would make a deadly kung-fu weapon?

trick
Old 17th August, 2002, 11:53 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Turns out on mine, that the 3.3v rail was fluctuating REALLY bad and would NEVER go above 3.1v It would dip down to 2.8 OFTEN!!
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 17th August, 2002, 02:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Re: 400w Sparkle it is!

Quote:
Originally posted by trick
Thanks all for the top advice. I will be purchasing the psu on monday and will let all know how things go!

If it doesnt work I will give up quaking, dump my girfriend, go to China and join the Shaolin monks! You think a PSU would make a deadly kung-fu weapon?

trick
Hey that's what we all do when things don't work! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 17th August, 2002, 02:50 PM
AOA Staff

Re: 400w Sparkle it is!

Quote:
Originally posted by trick

If it doesnt work I will give up quaking, dump my girfriend, go to China and join the Shaolin monks!
Been there. Done that. J/K

AOA Team fah

Old 22nd August, 2002, 03:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Quote:
You think a PSU would make a deadly kung-fu weapon?
Only if you have two, for balance....and you must secure the power cord solidly, else they become separated at the first arc, leaving you with a semi-deadly cord in your hand, Grasshopper.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 28th August, 2002, 03:21 PM

Thumbs down

Hi all,
Received my new Sparkle 400W PSU and also bought myself a Audigy player.
No problems installing but im sad to report that games are still crashing. I did notice that when Quake crashes its not HARD locking anymore, just the application error. So I guess its an improvement.
So what next? Im going to send my card to the shop I purchased it from and they are going to test the card. Any money they will say the card is ok, tested ok in the workshop.....its your mobo etc...
If it is the card then im going for another brand, maybe Gainward or Asus.

Maybe I need to up some voltages on my mobo. Can anyone suggest the memory core voltage for my mobo, epox 8khal. Also what would be the most stable BIOS settings I can try? I've tried loading fail safe defaults but I didnt notice any difference.

Cheers,

trick
Old 28th August, 2002, 03:40 PM
AOA Staff

OK now do a thorough scanning of the hard drive and defrag.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 28th August, 2002, 11:12 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I read that SP3 is a mixed blessing, it supposedly loads up the OS with a lot of gimcrackery.

Is this PC running at stock? With the new SPI Sparkle 400W, which boosts the current available to the 5v rail to 40 Amps, vs. 32 Amps for the SPI 350, it doesn't seem like it can be a PS problem. Unless the fact that its regulation of the 3.3v rail is 5%, rather than the 4% tolerance of the SPI 350? That seems like a stretch!

An unpleasant feature of the SPI Sparkle 400W PS is that you lose 3 Amps from the 12v rail, compared to the Sparkle 350's 15 Amps.

I've read of serious problems with the GF4 family. Some of these Vidcards seem refuse to work on some mainboards. It may not be the Ti4200's fault. Which would leave an arcane and obscure microcode incompatibility hiding in Epox land.

Or maybe the Vidcard is a lemon. These kinda problems are really a bear to finger out.

If you get a new Ti4200, and you still have the same issues...

Then again, perhaps a hidden facet of your DSL provider is doing this annoying bushwah. Too bad that the olde adjust the MTU trick is so daunting in XP!
Old 29th August, 2002, 03:22 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

More possible fixes and helpful suggestions gathered from the 'Net.
It's possible that disabling Plug n' Play or bringing your AGP down to 2X or even 1x may work. 1x is not the end of the world. Moving the Ti4200 to IRQ 11 may help.

Make sure that the PCI slot that's next to the AGP slot is empty. There's something named "the infinite loop" that's a prob for GF4's on Via chipsetted mainboard's.

See if installing NVmax helps the loop problem. Reinstall DX8.1 and see if setting the AGP Aperture to 64 Mb in BIOS helps.

Changing your PCI cards to different slots may help.

Hope one or all of these suggestions will cure the problem.
Old 10th September, 2002, 08:02 PM

Still here

My new PC's been nuthin but a nightmare!
I remember my duel Celeron box with W2k, no problems what so ever. This is my first AMD box and I've had nuthin but OS reinstalls, lockups, blue screens..etc..Im seriously thinking about going back to Intel. I know Intel are expensive but what im going thru at the moment I would gladly pay more to have a stable PC!

Anyway, i sent my MSI GF4 ti4200 back for testing and guess what? They lost my card. So im getting a replacement, Gainward GF4 ti4200 128mb, at no additional cost. Ive been reading some nasty things on Geforce Zone forums that all GF4's are unstable.
http://www.geforcezone.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1031138476

I just cant believe the amount of money and time i've spent on my new PC. The only good thing about having PC problems is that you learn so much.

Oh yeah, i've just applied XP SP1. As soon as I rebooted, blue screen! Pretty funny hey!

Guess what im going to do now?

trick
Old 10th September, 2002, 08:05 PM

Will try your suggestions cloasters

Just as soon as my Gainward is delivered!

Thanx for your help dood.

trick