AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd August, 2002, 01:54 PM

CD Drive Problems

I put a disc in either of my cd drives and the lights on the drives will light up go out and nothing else. Auto run does not work on any cd and I can not open them up from My Computer. The CD is not identified from the drive.
When I try a program that requires a cd, I get a "no cd found" or "need CD". But often ,not always, and after awhile it will work.
I can not install new software from a cd unless I remove the drive from device manager and reboot but this does not work all the time.
Music cd's will work only from music cd software including Windows Media Player. But I still cant open the cd form windows.
"Strange" to me anyway.
I am not a experienced XP user and any would be thankful for any suggestions.

Last edited by bigjohnson; 22nd August, 2002 at 02:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2002, 03:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Hi "big"...

First thing I would do is go into Device Manager from Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and click on View/Show Hidden Devices and see if you have multiple CD devices listed, especially duplicates or cd's you don't have. If I find I have multiples, I remove ALL of them and reboot, letting winders install only the ones you do have.

Also, I found this FAQ on Abit KT7's :

The CD-ROM can't work after the IDE Bus Master Driver installed. Please update your IDE Bus Mater Driver to Rev. 1.01.

Hope either of these helps...

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2002, 08:43 PM

I solved the problem. I had made a ghost image. I just restored form it. Still have some other issues but at least it is sort of stable.
Old 22nd August, 2002, 09:16 PM

Cool on the ghosting. I never had any luck with making entire backups.
What program do you use, btw? Did you burn to mulitple CD's or have an image on another partition or something?

Old 22nd August, 2002, 10:10 PM

The Ghosting totaled an image span of 7 cd's for me anyway. I had a lotta stuff.
I used Ghost that was in Norton Utilities. They have a very good tutorial site. Although things didn't go as advertised. It shoulda made a bootable cd but did not. I had to use for instance a Win98 boot floppy and then use the ghost floppy and then I was able to use the image cd's. I may have made some mistakes creating the image cd's though.
Anyway through some juggling I restored my drives from the image.
The restore took about 40 minutes. Keep in mind the total time just to put on WinXP to include the format. Also the image did not need any drivers or favorite programs and all the reboots etc....
Heck, I love this restore from cd idea.
Old 22nd August, 2002, 11:15 PM

hoo-ahhhh. 7 cds is a lot of data... !

I tried Norton Ghost once (and another I can't remember the name of), made like a 3-cd set, and used CD-R's instead of CD-RW's, and when it came time to make the 'boot' part, it prompted me to put the first cd in... doh. Hard to add to a CD-R if it was closed out... so I basically had a nice matching coaster set.

I have 2K on my C: partition as a backup o/s, and i've spread my programs and data over the other 3 partitions on 2 drives. Nothing like complication to make life interesting.

Anyway, glad your's came out to a bootable problem solved.

What do you think caused the cd's to not be read anymore?

Old 23rd August, 2002, 02:02 AM

The CD's were read and nicely too. The way I understood the instructions to Ghost was create a boot floppy with Ghost. Then during the restore cd creation process floppy data was supposed to be on the CD. That is no floppy would be needed to boot. As to why that did not work I have not a clue. So I used the Ghost floppy and the Win98 boot floppy and by interchanging them was able to access the restore CD's. So, probably with my limited understanding I may have made an error. The Win98 floppy gave me the drivers (I think) so that ghost would see the cd drive. Whatever it was it worked.
7 CD's is after all my stuff that I play with are on. Anyway the most often used stuff and with most of my settings. All the little stuff like folder options etc..... Maybe 2 or 3 cd's barely have anything useful on it if you think about it. Such as games and so on.
I'm gonna make another set with everything on it. As this set was sorta a learning process. Also I gotta figure how to make the cd's boot so they just go ahead and install.
This install does have some small problems. I will work on them and make the cd's and no more problems.
I don't know if everyone does this but they should.
Old 23rd August, 2002, 02:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

I've had my CD ROM simply not work at times as well. Seems windows wanted to keep adding extra ones in there when I would download from my digicam. It creates a removable disk mass storage drive. Once I unplug it, the CD jumps a letter. Fixed that though. Installed Mandrake on a 10gig partition and haven't touched M$ in 4 days now : a personal best for me
Old 23rd August, 2002, 02:52 AM

I tried Mandrake and others before. The best results was from a Corel distribution. I liked the looks of Linux. Played with it some and got rid of it off my drive.
I could not figure out how to install games and programs. Lots of other stuff I could not figure out either.
I sure would like to lean though. Great advantages to Linux I think such as stability and it is mostly free!
Wonderful will be the day when game companies start making lots of games for Linux.
Old 23rd August, 2002, 03:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

It's not been easy so far, but I'm persistant. I feel better knowing I don't have a big thumb on me or a prying eye from the M$ crew. I'm a lost bumbling fool at the moment actually, but it's bound to be a fun ride
Old 23rd August, 2002, 04:46 AM
Banned

7 cds is child's play