AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th August, 2002, 07:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Dead mobo?

Ok, my friend's computer was not opening IE, so the computer was brought over to my house. I turn it on, and it doesn't boot. I open the case, and notice that the CPU fan is not spinning. So I thought that the Celeron is dead. However, its only a 300 MHz cpu and the heatsink wasn't even warm when I touched it. The computer worked at my friend's house before it left. I connected my fan to the mobo, and it didn't work either. Once turn on the power the fan spins for like 3 seconds then stops. I checked the Celeron fan on my other computer and it works.

I'm gussing mobo is gone. But the computer hangs when you turn it on. Like you can hear the hard drive noise when you start it, then it hangs. Could that point out to a faulty CPU as well? I can't really test it becuase its a Slot 1, and I have no spare slot 1 stuff of my own.

I kinda have to be sure before I buy parts, becasue the goal is to fix it at a minimal cost.

PS: PSU is ok.
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2002, 08:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Mebbe the best thing to try is putting a known-good PS into the C300 box, temporarily.

Or start with the basics. With only the CPU, one stick of RAM and the Vidcard on the mainboard, does it POST?

While it's only a C300A, it needs a HS fan that works. It may well be toast, unfortunately.

Is it possible that your friend is pulling your leg? "Couldn't open IE" may be a load of codswallop. Just to get it into your hands?

Looks like a very suspicious symptom to me, Doc.

Last edited by cloasters; 26th August, 2002 at 08:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2002, 08:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

yea, I switched the PSU to a good one, and computer still didn't boot. The computer itself is basic. C300, 1 stick of 64mb or SDRAM, Onboard video and sound, 1 hdd, 1 fdd, 1 cdrom. I wonder if the guy at the computer store will let me test the system before I buy the mobo...
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Old 26th August, 2002, 08:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Tell your friend to come and get the box. You need that mainboard like you need malaria.

Last edited by cloasters; 26th August, 2002 at 08:11 PM.