AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th August, 2002, 08:29 AM
eobard

No hard drive and no... other thing make Eobard something something.

What does intermittent hard drive detection (in bios) mean when combined with a hard drive only running in DOS compatibility mode when it is detected? Bad motherboard? Bad Drive? Can bad cables cause this?

My brand new RMA seems DOA which means it going to be shoved UTA of some corporate SOB.

To randomly quote the great Robert Underdunk Terwilliger: "Voy a matar a usted."
Old 28th August, 2002, 01:53 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Found this on another site. Way over my head so I just copied the lot.

If you view the information on the Performance tab (Control Panel > System), you may see a message:

Compatibility Mode Paging reduces overall system performance

Note: the message:

Some drives are using MS-DOS compatibility

...means that your floppy disk drive or CD-ROM drive are operating in MS-DOS compatibility mode. We discuss only hard disks operating in MS-DOS compatibility mode here.

To force Windows to attempt to reinitialize the protected-mode IDE driver you'll have to remove the noide entry from the registry:

Start the Registry Editor
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ VxD \ IOS
Delete the NoIDE entry
Search your registry for BAD_IDE (You can Search the registry by pressing F3 while working in the registry editor.
Delete any BAD_IDE values you find
After you update the registry, restart Windows. Windows will then attempt to initialize the protected-mode driver for the controller. If no problems are encountered, the file system and virtual memory will operate in 32-bit mode, and Device Manager will not display an exclamation point in a yellow circle for the IDE channels.

If the protected-mode driver is not initialized properly, an error message will be displayed and the NoIDE registry entry will be re-created.

There are several reasons why your Hard Disks might be running in MS-DOS compatibility mode:

An "unsafe" device driver, memory-resident program, or virus hooked the INT21h or INT13h chain before Windows loaded
The hard disk controller in your computer was not detected by Windows
The hard disk controller was removed from the current configuration in Device Manager
There is a resource conflict between the hard disk controller and another hardware device
The Windows protected-mode driver is missing or damaged
The Windows 95 32-bit protected-mode disk drivers detected an unsupportable configuration or incompatible hardware
Microsoft recently released an update for Windows 95 OSR 2 & OSR 2.1, to fix a problem that would stop the computer from responding (hang) while the hard disk was being accessed, when using an IDE (ATA) hard disk and controller that support Ultra DMA mode.

To install this update, follow these steps:

Download the Remideup.exe [143KB] file to an empty folder
In Windows Explorer, double-click the Remideup.exe file you downloaded in step 1
Follow the instructions on the screen

There's a pile of stuff on google about this
Old 28th August, 2002, 02:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

1: Check BIOS settings. Make sure that the size in the BIOS agrees with the size of the drive.
1: Make sure that the drive is set to LBA mode in the BIOS.

From a site: "...using the often included (H/D) installation software, however, there is a drawback to that procedure. This software often modifies the BIOS and further writes some codes onto the HDD that later are almost impossible to remove."

From another site: -- "Most often the "weirdo/incompatible' driver is a low-level code virus, but other possibilities are incompatible MBR driver overlays to work around BIOS HD addressing limitations (OnTrack, EZ-IDE, Disk Manager, MaxBlast, etc.), genuine custom drivers or controllers, unrecognized real-mode CD-ROM drivers, and other MBR code such as partition or multi-boot managers (unlikely to do this) and disk encryption (very likely to do this). "

Have you tried the -- fdisk /mbr command from a true dos prompt (win98 Boot Disk) (after you boot to the Boot Disk?)

Checked/swapped out IDE Cables?

Sorry, Eobard, there wasn't much 'out there' on this one.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th August, 2002, 02:46 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I'd start first by swapping out the cable.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th August, 2002, 03:29 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Could be a bad cable, or bad hdd. In bios, look for setting for 'IDE detect delay' or something like that. The default is usually 0, but if you set it to 5+ sec, it may help. On boot up, some bios's 'seek' out the hdds very quickly, even before the hdd can power up and respond... Sounds like your bios makes the request to the hdd before it is ready. Adding the delay to the bios may give your hdd enough time to respond properly. this will increase your boot time accordingly... Anyway, it's worth a shot.

EDIT: once you have an error, DOS mode may kick in... not sure, but I think once you are running in DOS mode, it is very difficult to change it back in win95 & 98. what os are you using?

Last edited by SteveI; 28th August, 2002 at 03:31 PM.
Old 28th August, 2002, 07:44 PM
eobard

98. I'm going to pull my PCI cards and then try a fresh re-install with a different cable. But I'm not optimistic.
Old 28th August, 2002, 08:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have a similar prob.... Every once in a while when I reboot I get no HD. Reseat the cable and all is fine. Just thought I would input here
Old 28th August, 2002, 09:17 PM
eobard

Ran the seagate diagnostic program with the current cable and all cards in, it didn't detect any drive. I put a different cable in and the drive shows up. I'm going to test it further though because sometimes the first cable would work (only in DOS mode) so it may not be the cable, especially since the first cable worked fine with the drive I RMAed, it was the drive that went bad. I'm still not optomistic.
Old 28th August, 2002, 10:58 PM

You're using an 80-wire ATA66/100/133 cable, right?

Old 28th August, 2002, 11:29 PM
eobard

That was the original cable. I've only got one though so any cable swap will result in UDMA 2 mode for my top speed.
Old 29th August, 2002, 01:26 AM

Dang, Eobard, you're making this hard.. heh.

Let's see if I got this right:

You can't even fdisk the drive because the bios doesn't see it?

It doesn't even detect when you use an 80wire cable, but it does with the ata33 cable?

Do you have more than one drive on the cable, or is it a single drive?

If it's a dual drive, have you tried using just one drive at a time?

Your mobo says it supports ata33 thru ata100. Have you updated the BIOS lately?

Overall, it could be either mobo ide slot bad, or bad ide cable, or another bad drive. What brand of drive are you trying to get to work? And what was the reason you got a new drive to begin with?

Love these challenges, but they're hard to t/s, obviously.

Old 29th August, 2002, 01:37 AM
eobard

With the 80 wire cable it detects sometimes. When it does detect it only runs in DOS compatibility mode. The 40 wire cable detects properly but I only tested it a few times. I'm going to try again now to see if it's consistent. The board is ATA100 capable, I've not done anything to the bios ever. It's the only drive on that channel.
Old 29th August, 2002, 01:39 AM
eobard

The drives a Seagate. Its an RMA replacement for my first Seagate that chewed troughs in the disk (or some other kind of physical damage).
Old 29th August, 2002, 02:56 AM
eobard

I went through another round of boots without problem so I completed my install of my OS, all went well As well as ATA33 speed can be expected to be. So either the cable is bad, or something in the motherboard is bad such that running at ATA33 speed won't bring the problem out.
Old 30th August, 2002, 09:21 AM
eobard

Hopefully I'm an idiot. I say that because it appears that I had my personally rounded ATA100 cable wrapped too tight and that was causing my problem. I unrounded the cable (I didn't strand it, I just folded it like an accordian) and it's running good at ATA100 speed. Mind you this is only my second boot with the cable so I'm not 100%. Hopefully time will prove that it was my mistake and not a component failure. Because my fault won't end up costing me $$$.
Old 30th August, 2002, 01:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Well you never said that you were using a cable you rounded...geeze.

Don't feel so bad. It is sometimes easy to miss these things....
Old 30th August, 2002, 06:10 PM
eobard

Well it's about a dozen reboots and all's well so I'm pretty sure the system's booting because the problem's solved instead of just a few lucky boots. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. My bad.
Old 30th August, 2002, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. My bad.
Apology accepted you ****** *****.