AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th September, 2002, 01:47 PM

Freeze monster

Ok, im new here, but hoping you guys will be able to help me out here

Here goes the problem:

Computer freezes on boot. But it freezes at random points. Firstly it sometimes freezes after its initilised the mouse. Sometimes it freezes after recognising the drives with the little white line in the top left corner. and sometimes it freezes when it its "resuming windows". I hit DEL - to go to BIOS - it froze in there. I hit F8 to go to the boot menu - it froze there. i think its a keyboard problem, so i swapped the keyboard over with another one - still the same problem. It seems to be completely random at whcih point it freezes.

Im running Windows XP pro. 256MB SDRAM, Celeron 900, on a bad bad mobo (something like e-machines.. but not). THis isnt my main computer, but there is some valuable stuff on the Hard Drive i need.

OH, and another probly quite major point is, that when i tried to put the Hard drive in another computer, it only recognised about 4GB out of the 20GB it shud have done. so maybe i have a broken harddrive as well as something else?

All suggestions gladly taken!

Rich
Old 10th September, 2002, 05:13 PM
Banned

Welcome to the forums

I doubt it's the harddrive causing the lockups before the PC even tries to recognize it.

If you can find your cmos jumper (refer to you motherboard's manual), reset it.

Freezes this early are hard to diagnose. Have you verified the fan is still spinning on your cpu heatsink? If the cpu gets too hot it could cause these type issues.
Old 10th September, 2002, 05:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If you're overclocking anything in the machine, take it back down to "stock." If it's already at spec, Pinky's suggestion to clear the CMOS(aka BIOS) makes sense. If you don't have, or can't DL the manual for your mainboard, there should be a three-pin little doodad marked "CLR," with a jumper on it.

Clearing your BIOS is more complicated than simply moving the jumper on the CLR pins to bridge the pins opposite to what the default setting is for two or three seconds.

First, disconnect the power supply from its power strip or whatever it's plugged in to. Then disconnect the 20-Pin ATX power connector that goes from the PS to the mainboard. Wait for fifteen minutes.

Then move the CLR jumper to its opposite position for 2 or 3 seconds. Put the jumper back to default. Plug the ATX power connector into its receptacle on the motherboard. Plug the power supply back into its source of power. I don't know why more than a few handbooks for mobo's omit the necessary steps. Saves ink, I guess.

If this doesn't result in a bootable box, please let us know.
Old 10th September, 2002, 06:00 PM

you're not going to believe this..

I dont actually have a jumper to do that on my mobo. I know thats fairly unbelievable, but it is the worst mobo you are likely to come across, one of those budget, 3 PCI slots and onboard graphics and sound, no o/c options etc..!

Would taking the CMOS battery out for a few seconds or so, do the same trick?

RIch
Old 10th September, 2002, 07:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yes. Unplug your machine, then pull the battery for an hour or so. Welcome to our forums magicrichard!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2002, 10:09 PM

Sorry guys.. i gotta learn somewhere

Hey guys,

Well i did that CMOS thing, but halfwaythrough it occured to me to check what channel the Harddrive was on.. it was on Secondary Master... oooops! not such a serious error, rather a massive mistake..

thanks for your help - at least i know how to reset my CMOS now?

Rich
Old 10th September, 2002, 10:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Remember this for our next "dumbest moments in computing thread"

My favorite is when I striped down a computer I just build because it wouldn't boot. Checked to make sure I'd plugged in, after putting it back together THEN remembered that I had turned the power strip off! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th September, 2002, 03:42 AM
New Member "Outlaw"

Location: Clarksville,Ar but i'm from Neworleans (don't ask lol )

That's nothing I tryed to oc this one I'm using now. took it from 800 to 1.0 Ghz and could not get it to boot at all. I did'nt know about the cmos thing. So I put it and the heatsink in the freezer for about 30min that kept it cool long enough to reset the settings. lol
Old 11th September, 2002, 03:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Actually I think that was rather clever of you....in a dumb ass sorta way! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th September, 2002, 04:46 AM
New Member "Outlaw"

Location: Clarksville,Ar but i'm from Neworleans (don't ask lol )

Well that's me for ya lol. I just do what I feel I need to do and that worked for me at the time.