AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th September, 2002, 07:56 AM

power surge

during startup I had a power surge when windows attempts to run at initial bar in dos I get this message WINN|SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced startup files corrupted or missing
I have atempted to repair with boot discs,and CD, Emergency repair disc Yet still the same Is there a way I can repair this short of a clean install? I am unable to open or save at least half my files/programs as a result HELP? I will be back weds eve tired but at least up and running NOTE I installed Win2K on separate partition to get here Thank You Gryphyn
Old 18th September, 2002, 03:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

You didn't mention what O/S went south. I had extreme issues with an IBM drive not long ago, same thing - power brown out/surge (client computer). We tried unsuccessfully for about 4 hours to reinstall XP again so the program files, drivers, and data could be salvaged.
If you can see the partition from your Win2K side, I think I'd at least grab the data files that I'd need, emails boxes, favorites, docs, etc. and try again at repairing, but a clean install was the only way we could get the C: drive back.

Where I live in the hills, the power sux. I will never run a computer without a UPS, and tell my clients the same thing. Surge protectors are only good for a one time surge, but do nothing for brown outs or complete power outs. For $100, it's the best insurance you can get, imho.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2002, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info Ill try n get what I can tonight n clean install after but will not be able to do much something locked most of my files OS is Win2K Thank You Gryphyn
PS I live on a mountain top I know about surges I never thought it would do this
Old 19th September, 2002, 09:19 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: power surge

Quote:
Originally posted by gryphyn
WINN|SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced startup files corrupted or missing
This is a fubar'd registry.... Somewhere along the line, your registry has been trashed rather nastily. A clean re-install is the best way of sorting the problem.

AidanII
Old 19th September, 2002, 03:46 PM

Fubar is an understatement I am going to try and tranfer some of the files to another harddrive this weekend and then reformat Thanks for the help
Old 19th September, 2002, 06:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

d**** i hate when that happens

(i wish it was possible to simply rebuild the entire (or at least essential) registry even if all corrupted settings were returned to defaults and programs had to be reinstalled.....)
Old 19th September, 2002, 07:06 PM

I have my new drive OEM. since this is my 1st setup Is their anything I need to be aware of? Mount it,format it,install OS. anything Else?
If I do succeed in transfering files will the new OS be able to access files if I set it up with the same password?

Last edited by gryphyn; 19th September, 2002 at 07:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!