AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th October, 2001, 03:46 PM

Please Help

Upon Starting Windows 2000, I get a

"could not start because the following is either missing or corrupt: \winnt\system32\config\system"

I've tried repair in setup already. It keeps telling me I need Emergency Installation disks. I've also tried the console method, but I don't know what I need to do. Please help. Any input is appreciated
Old 28th October, 2001, 07:29 PM

Update

Now I've gotten past that problem. Now my computer restarts right after it has finished starting up (Windows logo with blue bar at bottom)
Old 28th October, 2001, 09:19 PM
Banned

More than likely it's registry corruption.

If you can't boot, even into safe mode, then there's something corrupted.

I'm no expert on w2k system errors prior to bootup, but when any OS gives you an error or symptom like yours prior to startup, it's 75% of the time file corruption or driver incompatibility. You eliminate drivers as the issue by booting into safe mode or selecting Last Known Good Copnfiguration from the F8 menu.
Old 28th October, 2001, 11:12 PM

I think it was as well. All's solved now, but I had to reinstall Windows. Luckily my downloads and such are still there. Today's lesson ALWAYS HAVE EMERGENCY RESCUE DISKS!
Old 28th October, 2001, 11:59 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by It_The_Cow
I think it was as well. All's solved now, but I had to reinstall Windows. Luckily my downloads and such are still there. Today's lesson ALWAYS HAVE EMERGENCY RESCUE DISKS!
Are Emergency Rescue Disks a Windows 2000 thing? Or are you talking about Norton Rescue? BTW, does Norton Rescue work with Windows XP? I'm about to find out.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2001, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

Are Emergency Rescue Disks a Windows 2000 thing? Or are you talking about Norton Rescue? BTW, does Norton Rescue work with Windows XP? I'm about to find out.
Yep. It can backup the registry and other system files. Good luck with Norton and XP. You might need it
Old 29th October, 2001, 03:29 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by It_The_Cow
Yep. It can backup the registry and other system files. Good luck with Norton and XP. You might need it
LOL. I know. I already tried Norton Antivirus, to no avail. I'm not brave enough to try Rescue, especially when the rescue disks won't work anyway.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2001, 06:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

nav 2002 works great for me.....who needs restore disks when you can just back your crap up and then if something craps out, just format it.
Old 4th November, 2001, 07:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

You don't need the emergency repair disks to do a goo repair feature in Win2K. If you go through th Emergency Repair part and then select emergency repair disks instead of console....it will ask you if you would like to use emergency repair disks or use the windows factory settings to repair.....if you pick the second option it will go through and restore your stuff to the factory settings....everything will still be there and you won't have to reinstall anything....good job fixin the problem and it did sound like it was a registry corruption or boot corruption....I'm not sure exactly how you would get this right after the install, but it is possible....mayb ur CD is a bad copy or maybe there were errors during the install due to a faulty CDROM or even due to an unrequested restart or surge. Glad u resolved ur problem....TTYL!!!!
Old 4th November, 2001, 07:34 PM

I tried that and it still didn't work. So that means that the entire Windows 2000 installation couldn't be found, which meant that the entire thing must have been corrupted. Re-installing was pretty much my only option since I didn't have an ERD