AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September, 2002, 04:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to prat Send a message via Yahoo to prat

Exclamation Asus A7S333 fans not spinning up

I have an ASUS A7S333 with an Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6GHz), an 400W PSU (King Star KC-400 [19A on 3.3V, 28A on 5V]).

The computer ran succesfully for all of about 30 minutes after I installed the processor. During that time, I estimate the CPU temperature did not exceed 50 deg. C. The CPU should still be okay; the problem seems to be on the motherboard itself - the fans do not turn on and the motherboard turns everything off, possibly for this reason. A PCI bus init seems to take place, but definitely not completely - the BIOS does not POST. I only hear a whining noise, like a capacitator charging up, then that's it. Then it cuts out.

Please help....

Alex
Old 21st September, 2002, 05:02 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

So what you are saying is that it worked fine for a while then died? did you DO ANYTHING!?!?!? Could be that something died. Try taking it down to the minimum. NO HD NO CD. Just board, cpu, PS, video and memory. (of course have the HSF hooked up)

If it STILL does nothing, then I would start swapping parts out one by one. Start with video or memory (easiest)

I hope this helps,
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2002, 05:08 AM

Bare minimums were the first thing I tried. No change in behavior.

*sigh*

Alex
Old 21st September, 2002, 05:31 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Do you have parts to swap out? Were ALL these parts BRAND NEW?!?!?!?
Rob
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2002, 05:32 AM

They were all new. Especially the processor, which had arrived that very day. And everything went to hell WHILE installing the initial OS. I don't really have anything spare to swap out - except the CPU fan. I know the fan itself isn't bad. That's all I know.

Alex
Old 21st September, 2002, 05:49 AM
AOA Staff

Well I built a P4 system for a guy not too long ago. EVERYTHING was going fine. While I was installing the OS the sreen "freaked" out. Turns out the video card was bad. (I swapped it with another card.)

So brand new stuff can work for a bit then die. MY RULE is if it works fine for 6 months, it's going to work fine for a long time. If you have probs within that six months (probs that are NOT caused by YOU) then it was NEVER right from the word GO.

See if you can come up with some "spare" parts to swap out and see what's giving you a prob.

I hope I helped ya out some.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2002, 06:43 AM

Okay, I think it may be a lot less complicated than I had assumed. I've figured out that this weird whining noise (that I didn't hear before the system failed) is coming from inside the PSU. So maybe it's just a dead PSU?

Alex
Old 22nd September, 2002, 02:02 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, prat!

Athlon systems lean on the PS hard. Sometimes high Wattage by itself really means nothing. The King Star 400 PS is not on the approved by AMD for Athlon XP list.

I read that the Memory and FSB ratio should be set to 1:1. The person that posted it said that XP wouldn't load until he went into BIOS and changed it to 1:1. The SiS 730S, 735 and 745 chipsets give you worse Mem Benchmarks when the FSB and Mem Bus are run asynchronously. In other words, 1:1 is the way to go.

These mainboards are said to be picky about RAM. Whether this is "under all circumstances" or only while trying to overclock, I don't know. Samsung DDR is mentioned as a good choice for this mobo.
Old 22nd September, 2002, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

It was the power supply. I replaced it (noting that the amperage ratings were WAY low) with another (ACTUAL) 400w PSU and everything now works fine. For now. My CPU is still running a little hot for my tastes: peaking around 57 deg. C.

But get this: my 3 year warranty is void (right out of the retail box) if I don't use the fan/heatsink AMD provides. What's up with that?
Old 23rd September, 2002, 03:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by prat
But get this: my 3 year warranty is void (right out of the retail box) if I don't use the fan/heatsink AMD provides. What's up with that?
How are they gonna know if you used it?
Old 23rd September, 2002, 03:44 AM

Hehe... I didn't say I wasn't gonna change it. I just thought it was dumb of them to limit you to something that actually detracts from your performance. It would be better for them if they required you to go out and get a really good heatsink/fan (course, the antitrust suits would be a bit of nuisance in their legal department ).:-D
Old 23rd September, 2002, 07:15 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If the fan included with AMD's Retail Boxed HS isn't a 70mm(I haven't cracked the plastoid box that mine came in, I can't tell if it's a 60mm or not) or other oddball size, a beefy 60mm fan can replace the "slimline" excuse that AMD provides you with. Then the HS should be OK.

Naturally, I prefer a higher copper content than the RB'd HS seems to have.
Old 23rd September, 2002, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Its a 60mm stock
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd September, 2002, 07:25 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks for letting me know that the fan on the HS that's supplied with retail boxed Athlon XP's is indeed a standard size 60mm, Spyder. I was too lazy to grab a 60mm to compare it with! I guess that the 60mm looked "wider" to me because it's so thin.

AMD has a lot of nerve handing you this wussed little fan! I guess they're following SwIntel's example with the < 1 Ghz PIIIE's.

Edit. Shuh, the new PS fixed the problem. Yaay!

Last edited by cloasters; 23rd September, 2002 at 07:29 PM.