AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st October, 2001, 05:15 AM

highmem.sys missing, help?

win 98se boot error: windows protection fault, you must restart your computer. after restart it trys to start in safe mode and it stops with the message: himem.sys missing from the windows directory. first thing i try is to boot from 98 startup disk in a drive. boot to command prompt and copy himem.sys to the windows directory. 1 file coppied. shutdown, boot 3-4 minutes later. same
errors. re-install win98se, same thing. any ideas? i'am a hardware
mechanic and i am good at trouble-shooting hw problems. sortware problems send me here

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st October, 2001, 05:40 AM

Seems to me that i have ran into this and the "windows directory" it was looking for was the c:/windows folder... did you try dumping a copy in your c:/ root directory...

BTW, my 98SE himem.sys shows as a 33k file...

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st October, 2001, 07:07 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

For reason's unknown, Win98SE has trouble locating
emm386.exe or himem.sys during the installation process at times. According to the state of my present 7 week old SE installation, himem.sys is located in both C:\Windows\Command\EBD, and C:\Windows.

Sometimes aborting the installation and starting over works. More often, a reformat of C:\ (in the off chance that you don't know this, "format c:" is the correct command to format the C:\ drive prior to a Win98 install. Using "format c:\ /s" works properly for Win95--NOT 98) and a new installation works. Once in a blue moon, you can put himem.sys(or emm386.exe) where it's supposed to go, from a floppy.

At least this problem presents itself at the start of the installation process. My un-fave is the twenty or so critical .vxd's and .dll's that are announced as missing after installing 98!
Old 1st November, 2001, 02:14 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Hmm, format c: /u /s always works fine for me, make sure you do everything from the CD if you can, because it's a far better method in my experience
Old 1st November, 2001, 04:25 AM

thank you,kris,cloasters,b0bbinz.
as i was trying to recover from a crash by re=installing win98 on top of win 98, the cd didn't want to run the install progy. i copy
the win98 file to c:/win98 and setup from there. i did manage to get the highmem.sys copied from a floppy to the right dir. some
foo changed the name of the \WINDOWS dir to WINDOZE
after overwriting the highmem.sys, a normal boot resulted
must also say the i took out one stick of pc133 before i overwrote
highmem.sys and i did not get the emm.386 error msg. will put
it back in later just to see if it's bad.
time for a new mobo & ddr

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dabaerman; 1st November, 2001 at 04:48 AM.
Old 16th November, 2001, 08:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to wyrlwyn

i got that error too...
it turned out that i damaged a part of my mobo between the cpu socket and the dimms... so every time the cpu would try to look through that line, it would mess up the ram and say that the file was missing or corupt...
i ended up buying a new mobo to fix it...
Old 18th November, 2001, 07:35 PM

well it wasn't the mobo. was the stick of pc133-128mb. put it in three other machines and it caused all sorts of problems. i am up and running again. waiting for $$ to buy an Epox 8KHA rev2.0/XP.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd November, 2001, 03:34 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

cough** VIRUS** COUGH** COUGH.

Rob
Old 26th November, 2001, 09:21 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
cough** VIRUS** COUGH** COUGH.

Rob
I have to wonder if you are right. I also had this problem just today on an XP box. Too many people with the same problem here in my opinion.
----------------------------------------------

Old 30th November, 2001, 06:01 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

yeah it seems that they are getting more and more creative. But I don't think that it's just kids sitting at home and writing them. I do believe that some marketing company's are having them made and putting them out. It's a great way to see what people do witht here computers.

Some shop online. Wouldn't it be great to find out what sites that online shoppers are going too, and then "focus" ads (emails) telling about online sells.

Well that's just my two cents. You all might think I'm crazy or weird but that's the way I feel.

So I do believe that there are also just some punk kids that are out there that have nothing better to do and have learned VB.

Rob
Old 30th November, 2001, 08:10 PM

That sounds like the symptoms of a machine on the high edge of an overclock.
15 gig IBM 7200 rpm
Yamaha 8x4x24 CD burner
Acer 32x CDrom
3 Com NIC
GeForce2 MX-200 64m
20 inch Sony Trinitron