AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   CRASHED! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/6-crashed/)
-   -   Monitor troubles (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/crashed/10314-monitor-troubles.html)

Staz 18th October, 2002 03:08 PM

Monitor troubles

What does it mean when your monitor starts making poping sounds, Then makes one very large poping sound, then the monitor goes black and you can smell the tell tale smell of burning electronics?

And I think That was the only part of that system that wasn't overclocked.

patti ~ 18th October, 2002 04:15 PM

Might mean it's time for an RMA? :clown:

SadisticWarrior 18th October, 2002 04:45 PM

Re: Monitor troubles

Quote:

Originally posted by Staz
What does it mean when your monitor starts making poping sounds, Then makes one very large poping sound, then the monitor goes black and you can smell the tell tale smell of burning electronics?

And I think That was the only part of that system that wasn't overclocked.

Maybe you should have OC'ed it too, JK
Dosen't sound good though, sorry to sat it but..................
hope you get it fixed

Holst 18th October, 2002 05:24 PM

Sounds like a Cap in there went pop.

Time to test there RMA procedure out.
Tell us how you get on.

Staz 18th October, 2002 07:04 PM

I bought it refurbished with a 90 day warrenty

That was 3 years ago.
I'm gonna run out today and pick up an Envision e910 from compusa for $149 (after $50 MIR) to hold me over til I can afford something better.

Staz 19th October, 2002 06:22 PM

Well I went out and bought that Envision en910e. I took apart the old monitor to see if I could find any obious source of the problem. I found a small X-former right next to the AC in on the motherboard, that was melted. All of the insulation was melted and dripping on the board below just like tiny icicles. If it was a cap that went bad I could see trying to replace it just to see what happens. But since it was a transformer it kinda makes me wonder what voltage went surging through the system right befor it died.

As for the en910e.......
You get what you pay for. The screen has a lot of curve to it. The Shadow mask can be seen against a light background. Looks like miniture expanded metal grill, I am slowly getting used to it just like I did the 2 horizontal lines. The grill is invisible while playing games. The text is sharp even at the corners. And the colors are adequate. I would recomend one for kids or for someone on a very tight budget that wants a 19" monitor. I would sugest that anyone else purchase a pure flat monitor.

I miss my viewsonic.

Aedan 19th October, 2002 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Staz
I found a small X-former right next to the AC in on the motherboard, that was melted. All of the insulation was melted and dripping on the board below just like tiny icicles.
That's not a transformer. It's an inductor that's part of the suppression circuitry. That on it's own won't cause the monitor to die. In fact, if you took the inductor out, and put two wire links where the inductor was, the monitor would still work.

Obviously it's been asked to handle too much current, but I suspect that your problem is in the HT (High Tension) part of the monitor. I'd wonder if all the HT seals are still intact, as when you hear arcing, it's almost always due to the HT arcing over somewhere. There may be burn marks where it arced over.

Typical places to look are any location between the voltage tripler and the tube. There will probably be a thick wire leading from a largish lump on the board, up to the top of the tube. This takes the HT from the tripler (part of the large lump) up to the tube. Check around both ends, but be very careful. If the tube has not discharged, it may still hold many thousands of volts.

I'd recommend that you keep one hand in a back pocket whilst you're examining any of the HT side. I'd also recommend attaching a resistor across the HT, to ensure that it's bled away safely. If you don't feel confident, and don't understand all of the implications, don't proceed.

AidanII

BigRed 20th October, 2002 04:58 AM

Hey, its better than what happened to my old monitor.
I was playing a game one day (TFC) and all of a sudden the monitor went black and I heard a pop then smoke and a blue flame shot out of the top vents and melted a hole in the top :eek:
I just figured it was shot and pitched it, lol cant be good when you see blue fire...