AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   CRASHED! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/6-crashed/)
-   -   Second HDD in two weeks (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/crashed/31077-second-hdd-in-two-weeks.html)

dod 20th May, 2005 07:08 PM

Second HDD in two weeks

and this time I haven't been able to get it back up.

Can anyone recommend some good free recovery software? Can see it in BIOS and explorer but just can't get into it. Scandisk and chkdsk can't get in either :(

Rondog 20th May, 2005 10:26 PM

Get PowerQuest Drive Imaging, I think its called. (You will need a working drive) Image the damaged one, then extract the stuff you want. Then format/fdisk the damaged drive and start again. :)

surlyjoe 20th May, 2005 10:35 PM

the powerquest program is calle "easy recovery pro" not drive image (although thats a good one too) and its pretty good. the best I have used is File Scavenger, but its not free.. it will let you see your files if it can find them for free, but you have top pay to do the recovery part :rolleyes:

hoinar 21st May, 2005 08:05 AM

You can try these: "PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x" http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm -> freeware
and SpinRite http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm -> 60-80 USD if I remember well (but I was told it's very good at his job). I hope this can help you recover some data..
Good luck!

dod 21st May, 2005 04:38 PM

already tried Inspector Hoinar, unfortunately although it sees the drive it can't pick up any of the files.

The guy we get our work stuff from does data recovery for the police so I'll try these other programmes and if they don't work I'll get him to try.

Pitch 21st May, 2005 07:01 PM

I've had my share of hardware *failures* to know how much they suck.

Hope the damage isn't too bad Dod.

dod 21st May, 2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitch
Hope the damage isn't too bad Dod.

Bad enough m8, had all my photos, and all of the wifes work stuff, about 25Gig in total. I know, the backup wasn't done but this was the back up drive which failed. I'd just moved everything off the main drive last week, did a clean reinstall, and hadn't got round to burning copies :(

Guess who's sitting with a new DVDRW :o

Daniel ~ 21st May, 2005 08:01 PM

Hate to say it, but burning up backup drives is natures way of saying use the DVD!

"If it can go wrong it will go wrong."

Sorry it nailed you DOD, always hurts most on the down side.

danrok 21st May, 2005 08:02 PM

Tape drives are best for backups.

Daniel ~ 21st May, 2005 08:07 PM

Nothing compares to Ghost! LOL

chrisbard 22nd May, 2005 07:10 AM

Dod is your drive making any special noises you haven't heard before?

dod 22nd May, 2005 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard
Dod is your drive making any special noises you haven't heard before?

No, but I am ;)

danrok 22nd May, 2005 01:39 PM

LOL

I would guess that the drive is now making noises like metal and plastic impacting on concrete!

dod 22nd May, 2005 02:21 PM

that ceremony is tomorrow night if they're unable to pick up any of the files. In fact recover the files or not, I'm quite looking forward to it. :D

Daniel ~ 22nd May, 2005 06:15 PM

Let us not in our sorrow let the spirit of pure VENGEANCE slip from our hearts there-by stealing the hammer from our eager hands! ":O}

noorman 23rd May, 2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dod
Bad enough m8, had all my photos, and all of the wifes work stuff, about 25Gig in total. I know, the backup wasn't done but this was the back up drive which failed. I'd just moved everything off the main drive last week, did a clean reinstall, and hadn't got round to burning copies :(

Guess who's sitting with a new DVDRW :o

I had HD problems once, not getting anything off.
After it had been on the shelf for a while, I took it off, put it on its side vertically on the table next to my PC and reconnected it.
I started up and ... voilĂ*, I could access the files; I quickly started to copy all the ones I wanted recovered and I got all of them safe !!!

Try that, can't get any worse, can it ?

;-)

Pitch 23rd May, 2005 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noorman

I said that once.

dod 23rd May, 2005 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noorman
I had HD problems once, not getting anything off.
After it had been on the shelf for a while, I took it off, put it on its side vertically on the table next to my PC and reconnected it.
I started up and ... voilĂ*, I could access the files; I quickly started to copy all the ones I wanted recovered and I got all of them safe !!!

;-)

Now this sounds like:

Lift your right leg until horizontal. With your left hand take hold of your right ear. With your right hand hold your left buttock. Close both eyes and shout, "chicken and chips" three times, whilst hopping in time to the Birdie song.

It might just work ;)

robbie 23rd May, 2005 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitch
I said that once.

:rolling:

noorman 23rd May, 2005 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dod
Now this sounds like:

Lift your right leg until horizontal. With your left hand take hold of your right ear. With your right hand hold your left buttock. Close both eyes and shout, "chicken and chips" three times, whilst hopping in time to the Birdie song.

It might just work ;)

Well, it 's no fairy tale, I did it myself, as I explained.

You can't ruin the HD with it (any further) and you could gain data that you thought of as lost !

;-))