AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   CRASHED! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/6-crashed/)
-   -   Please help I crashed bad!! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/crashed/33297-please-help-i-crashed-bad.html)

Smoney22 3rd October, 2005 09:48 PM

Please help I crashed bad!!

Ok, so I turned off my computer, and I opened it up to show my dad my video card. I closed it back up, hook all the wires back up, and it doesn't recognize my harddrive. So I open it up and check all connections 2 times, try again, still no luck. So this has happened once or twice before and letting my computer sit for an hour or two has always solved it but no such luck this time.

After that didn't work I let it sit for another day, and finally I decided time wasn't going to help it, so I went in the BIOS. I fiddled around with everything trying this and that but nothing worked, so finally I just went back to the factory defaults, still no luck. So I am asking you to please help me get my computer to recognize my harddrive!!

I have an Asus P5GD1 mobo, 2.8 ghz p4 northwood, 512mb infineon RAM

EDIT: Sorry I didn't mean to double post, could someone please delete the other one?

ajopz 3rd October, 2005 10:37 PM

what happens if you try and auto detect the hard drive in bios?

Smoney22 4th October, 2005 02:26 PM

It just didn't work. But, it seems time has once again helped and now its working again. But what could be causing this because this is the 3rd of 4th time its happened to me.

surlyjoe 4th October, 2005 02:36 PM

a low c-mos battery might do it, but having only been off for a few minutes.. I doubt thats it, have you run SMART on the drive?

Smoney22 4th October, 2005 02:48 PM

*Sigh* It's doing it again, and no I don't know what SMART is so I haven't run it. And is a C-Mos battery the little round one?

ajopz 4th October, 2005 03:19 PM

Yes the cmos battery is the small round 1.

do ur drives connect with IDE or Sata?
If its IDE it might be a bad connection in 1 of the cables, i had a simular problem with my secondary hdd. sometimes it would detect and sometimes it wouldnt. Put a new IDE cable on and the problem went.

Smoney22 4th October, 2005 03:31 PM

It's IDE, thanks I'll get a new cable and try again.

ajopz 4th October, 2005 06:21 PM

um not saying that is deff the problem, but it might work.

surlyjoe 4th October, 2005 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoney22
*Sigh* It's doing it again, and no I don't know what SMART is so I haven't run it. And is a C-Mos battery the little round one?

SMART is the drive monitoring features built into the drive, it will usually tell you whats wrong with it, but only if the bios can detect it..and yes the cmos battery is the little round one near the bios chip on the mother board

cloasters 4th October, 2005 07:44 PM

I never run the S.M.A.R.T. feature unless there's a HDD that's acting weird. It's simply a pain and not worth it if the drive is humming along properly.

radcon56 5th October, 2005 04:55 AM

I hope you didn't forget a floppy in the drive.If you only wanted to "show" your Dad the video card, why were you reconnecting all the wires before closing the case? Is the drive a SATA drive or a PATA drive. The SATA connectors can move very easily so make sure they are squarely seated in the connectors.You don't see the drive in the BIOS or just to boot windows? You could unplug and replug in the drive connections just to rule that out.

Smoney22 6th October, 2005 02:55 AM

When I say hooked all the wires up I mean wires in the back, ie. mouse etc. My drive is IDE not SATA. I don't see the drive in BIOS and I can't boot windows it says to restart and select boot device or insert boot media device or something like that.

Soul99 6th October, 2005 11:10 AM

Sorry to hear of your problems, just something to try....

Is the Hard drive powering up?
When i ask that i mean is it spinning?
can you hear any noise comming form the drive?

If it is spinning then deffo check/replace the IDE cable.

If it is not spinning check the 4Pin molex connecter, use another one (maybe the one from the cdrom) to test it.
Also check the soldiered contact points where the power connects to the PCB on the harddrive, i've known them to be broken.

Hopes this helps to in your trouble shooting.

Soul99

Smoney22 6th October, 2005 08:56 PM

It is indeed spinning, so I guess I'll get another IDE cable.

Smoney22 7th October, 2005 12:07 AM

It seems to be it happens mostly when I can't shut down properly, like right now a fuse blew out and turned off my computer and when I go to turn it on it happens. Is there anyway to stop thta from happening?

Soul99 7th October, 2005 12:01 PM

Its a long shot, but check for bios updates that may fix disk compatability problems.
You could also download the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tools and run them on the drive to check for errors.

Smoney22 9th October, 2005 10:43 PM

Ok, the fuse in my room blows out all the time and after that happens it wont start up, so what I am wondering is could this be doing permanent damage to my computer and if so then what component(s). Also, sometimes my BIOS don't even come up when i put in the command, what could be causing that?