AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   CRASHED! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/6-crashed/)
-   -   Windows reinstallation Question (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/crashed/37215-windows-reinstallation-question.html)

Daniel ~ 20th July, 2006 10:19 PM

Which is why corporations make such crappy governments, they answer not to people but to the bottom of the bottom line barrel...

Redroar 21st July, 2006 04:52 AM

Wait. What the hell is this doing in a windows topic? It's completely unrelated. I have no problem with what you are saying, but why not start a topic in Random?

Daniel ~ 21st July, 2006 05:00 AM

hmmm. their first post, looks like a new development in spam... any one seen this elsewhere?

Redroar 21st July, 2006 05:35 AM

Google "Post Amazon touts anti-Israeli views"

Looks like sheila is quite the spammer.

Daniel ~ 21st July, 2006 09:54 PM

sheila all better now! ":O}

xmetrix 22nd July, 2006 04:35 AM

War Corporatism, ensuring jobs for your kids kids. Soldiers.

Necorum 22nd July, 2006 01:34 PM

it was just a question and everyone turned it into a war argh *runs in a corner in hopes the bombs dodge him*

cloasters 22nd July, 2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staz
Absolutely not true. Dell is not that evil or specialized. You can install just about any OS on thier machines.

I used too wide a brush. Compaq's have a real problem with generic XP, I shouldn't have made such a sweeping statement.

xmetrix 22nd July, 2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necorum
it was just a question and everyone turned it into a war argh *runs in a corner in hopes the bombs dodge him*


*runs and hides at base of oil pumps* I'm safe here.

radcon56 30th July, 2006 04:06 PM

I run setup on any computer with an OEM version of windows and enter the key on the box or laptop with no problem, other than having to call it in once in a while. :banghead: As for a dell disk being slower, it's the same windows as any other, except that no activation is needed when used on a dell machine.:)

noob 1st August, 2006 05:29 AM

The main problem people have is trying to use the recovery disks on other machines. Dell, HP/Compaq, and several other companies have a partition on the HDD that contains several critical files, making sure the disk wont run elsewhere.

THe other problem came up with some of the proprietary hardware used by some OEM's. Dell doesn't anymore, HP/Compaq, Packard Bell, and a couple of others still do on some machines. Standard XP doesn't have the drivers required to run those machines, and they have problems with some of the MS generic drivers - hence the problems people have. The OEM HDD's that come with the machine include the basic drivers required by Windows on a seperate hidden partition, with which their "recovery disk" points to.

As for slower - that was also true to some extent (not sure if still true). Certain hardware options were turned on/off depending on the machine you bought. This was done through the OEM drivers, and when you upgraded the drivers, you had to choose the exact model, even though several models would use the same hardware.

They have caused all sorts of headaches when I was doing MS support. Especially when people tried using the XP upgrade version on their older HP/Compaq, Dell, Packard Bell, or similar.

As for activation. Thats a completly different kettle of foul smelling month old in the sun fish! Windows is pre activated by the OEM when you buy it. With OEM's they sometimes keep that data on the hidden partition, therefore no need to reactivate. But if you do something as small as adding another HDD they will quite often require reactivation

radcon56 6th August, 2006 05:58 PM

Huh??
 
You should do some more research. Nothing you have said makes any sense, noob.:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob
The main problem people have is trying to use the recovery disks on other machines. Dell, HP/Compaq, and several other companies have a partition on the HDD that contains several critical files, making sure the disk wont run elsewhere.

THe other problem came up with some of the proprietary hardware used by some OEM's. Dell doesn't anymore, HP/Compaq, Packard Bell, and a couple of others still do on some machines. Standard XP doesn't have the drivers required to run those machines, and they have problems with some of the MS generic drivers - hence the problems people have. The OEM HDD's that come with the machine include the basic drivers required by Windows on a seperate hidden partition, with which their "recovery disk" points to.

As for slower - that was also true to some extent (not sure if still true). Certain hardware options were turned on/off depending on the machine you bought. This was done through the OEM drivers, and when you upgraded the drivers, you had to choose the exact model, even though several models would use the same hardware.

They have caused all sorts of headaches when I was doing MS support. Especially when people tried using the XP upgrade version on their older HP/Compaq, Dell, Packard Bell, or similar.

As for activation. Thats a completly different kettle of foul smelling month old in the sun fish! Windows is pre activated by the OEM when you buy it. With OEM's they sometimes keep that data on the hidden partition, therefore no need to reactivate. But if you do something as small as adding another HDD they will quite often require reactivation


MONKEYMAN 6th August, 2006 06:05 PM

Makes perfect sense to me....

radcon56 6th August, 2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmetrix
*runs and hides at base of oil pumps* I'm safe here.

Yeah, if you're an Arab.:rolleyes:

noob 6th August, 2006 10:07 PM

radcon56

what did you have problems understanding?

cloasters 7th August, 2006 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob
radcon56

what did you have problems understanding?

I thought your's was a very sensible post, radcon56. You explained a good part of the Proprietary XP vs. off the shelf XP hassles you can run into. Mebbe noob had a bad day or summink?

MONKEYMAN 7th August, 2006 03:42 AM

I thought noob explained the problems?....anyhow you all made sense.

Redroar 7th August, 2006 04:52 AM

noob explained the problems, and radcon said he couldn't understand them. I think you mixed up the names, Cloasters.:)

Daniel ~ 7th August, 2006 04:01 PM

Hi radcon56. Tough day hey? ":O}

Perhaps if you asked noob to clarify what seems incorrect or unclear to you we could progress in our understanding?
Alternatively, perhaps if you advanced your views as an alternative approach rather than condemning Noob for advancing his solution?

Most of us are just hobbyists radcon56 here, you'll find many areas where we disagree or our personal judgement varies. This being so we need to keep relations friendly, especially when we are destine to disagree...yes? ":O}


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Copyright ©2001 - 2010, AOA Forums


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0