AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   CRASHED! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/6-crashed/)
-   -   Windows reinstallation Question (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/crashed/37215-windows-reinstallation-question.html)

Necorum 13th July, 2006 08:02 AM

Windows reinstallation Question

Ok I am reinstalling xp well after a good 2 years or so and well i was thinking of making one of my 300 gig hard drives into two partitions. One 50 gig partition and a 250 gig partition using Partition magic.

and reinstalling windows on the 50 gig partion after moving my stuff to the 250 gig partition ( music ,pictures etc) .

So would there be any problems doing this . Any slow down using two partitions etc ?

Just asking advice im thinking it should be fine and prob. better to use the two partitions to make reinstallations etc easier.

dsio 13th July, 2006 08:11 AM

You don't really need to format or anything when you reinstall windows. You can just install it over the top of the existing installation and have no problems. That way, whatever is in your documents folders is retained there as well.

Necorum 13th July, 2006 08:12 AM

true but would two partitions be better ?

meh im just going to move all my documents stuff to c:\

dsio 13th July, 2006 08:14 AM

Partitioning doesn't really change anything in your situation. Just means there are two places things can be, and possibly complications. There's the whole keep it simple principle that works well when dealing with windows.

Necorum 13th July, 2006 08:17 AM

true thanks

yea still going to move everything to c:\save this *****

then reinstall now i have to wait for this windows xp pro to finish downloading since i lost my os cd (my copy is legal i buoght it :P ) i had lost it and downloaded a copy of xp and it was dell's oem version i bought the windows xp pro one and hope this copy is plain ole xp pro

Necorum 13th July, 2006 08:23 AM

Dell oem copy is slower or something i read that somewhere

Necorum 13th July, 2006 03:17 PM

Decided to throw in a 10 gig hard drive and dual boot vista for now.... still havet tried it

Favu 13th July, 2006 03:18 PM

be warned - a few people have had issues with the dual booter of Vista not working

Necorum 13th July, 2006 04:38 PM

works fine

cloasters 18th July, 2006 05:49 PM

If you don't have a machine bought from Dell, you don't want to use their proprietary version of XP. If the box was made by Dell, a generic version of XP--that is, not supplied by Dell--will probably not work right.

Aedan 18th July, 2006 05:54 PM

I've not actually had any issues with generic XP running on Dell machines. HP/Compaq, yes, but not Dell.

Samuknow 18th July, 2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Áedán
I've not actually had any issues with generic XP running on Dell machines. HP/Compaq, yes, but not Dell.

I have noted the same on HP/Compaq machines. I actually had one that would not finish the install. Had one work great. It is a luck of the draw I guess with which hardware is used.

Necorum 19th July, 2006 11:18 AM

thanks for the advice just hard to find a copy of XP thats not Dell , Compaq or hp

Necorum 19th July, 2006 11:19 AM

without paying i already bought it just lost my cd.

Ex g/f thing ( kids mom )

Staz 19th July, 2006 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloasters
If you don't have a machine bought from Dell, you don't want to use their proprietary version of XP. If the box was made by Dell, a generic version of XP--that is, not supplied by Dell--will probably not work right.

Absolutely not true. Dell is not that evil or specialized. You can install just about any OS on thier machines.

Daniel ~ 19th July, 2006 07:29 PM

Compaq may be the manufacturer Cloasters was thinking of, HP as well! But my information is way out of date!

Staz 19th July, 2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Áedán

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuknow
I have noted the same on HP/Compaq machines. I actually had one that would not finish the install. Had one work great. It is a luck of the draw I guess with which hardware is used.

I have never run into this. I have installed Xp, XP Pro, and Win98se on Compaq laptops, Compaq desktops, Dell desktops, IBM desktops, and IBM laptops. I have never run into this problem befor. Never done it on an HP though. Maybe they are the culprit

Daniel ~ 19th July, 2006 08:15 PM

My Information is WAY out of date, like 8 years":O}
Hadn't realized it had been that long!!

Necorum 20th July, 2006 02:05 AM

ok what i was saying is I have a custom build machine and using a copy of windows xp pro dell oem version on my custom machine i heard that the OS itself that is branded with dell all over it is a bit slower or something.

Staz 20th July, 2006 07:02 PM

It depends if you pay the extra $10 when you buy the computer. If you pay an extra $10 toen you will get an XP disk that is just plain od XP withoput and of the Dell added on crap. That comes on a second disk (ussually blue, but I have also seen them red).

If you do a complete repartition, reformat, reinstall then you will have a system without and of the factory installed Dell crap. If you don't pay the extra $10 you get a Dell restore disk that has the OS with all of the extra crap built right in. Some of those utilities will only work on a De3ll machine. So if you use that to install on a non Dell machine you may end up with an OS that may or may not install and if it does it will be slower than with a fresh install and it may have parts that don't work.

There are some CD'd that should go in the fire safe box with other important stuff you almost never need but don't ever want to use.