AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   CRASHED! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/6-crashed/)
-   -   Blue screen of death (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/crashed/48245-blue-screen-of-death.html)

KJP316 24th November, 2009 07:59 PM

Blue screen of death

I've been getting blue screens of death a lot since I got my computer back in '07. I have pictures of some of the screens but I cannot post it here. The technical information is as follows:

STOP: 0x00000116 (0x87c7e510, 0x8fcce1a0, 0x00000000, 0x00000002)
nvlddmkm.sys - address 8fcce1a0 base at 8fc0f000, date stamp 4abfffg

That's just one of the info's I got from one of my three pics that I have.

booman 24th November, 2009 08:10 PM

Please post your specs: CPU, Motherboard, Memory, Video Cards, Hard Drive, etc.
Someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

booman 25th November, 2009 12:50 AM

Make sure to reply to this post instead of posting again Kyle.

Here are his specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI
RAM: Corsair 4 GB (2GB x2) DDR2-800 PC6400
Graphics card: 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB w/DVI + TV Out Video
HHD: 1TB (500GB x2)
I hope this is all the info that is needed, if not, reply and let me know if more is needed

Also, explain what steps you have taken to resolve the problem...

noob 26th November, 2009 01:02 AM

What PSU do you have?
At or near the top of the screen do the BSOD's state IRQ_IS_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS_THAN ......

That error looks like something to do with an nVidia driver.
- that will need removing by uninstalling and using driver cleaner or similar, then reinstalling the driver.

Also if your PSU isn't up to it, you most definitely will be having that and more.

phospagla 22nd December, 2009 05:06 PM

I'm helping a friend with her MacBook, dunno if the model number helps, but, it's A1181, no OS installed as of yet, I want to get into the bios, does anybody know the hotkey for it? She's tried all the F keys and no go...help please

ccperf721p 22nd December, 2009 05:55 PM

Mac uses EFI, so no real bios. If you need to boot a CD to install an OS, then you can use Command-Option-O-F at startup to bring up a prompt.

ThunderRd 23rd December, 2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phospagla (Post 501807)
I'm helping a friend with her MacBook, dunno if the model number helps, but, it's A1181, no OS installed as of yet, I want to get into the bios, does anybody know the hotkey for it? She's tried all the F keys and no go...help please

You could try posting in the thread that you cut and pasted...instead of hijacking someone else's:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/crash...-question.html

You're right, Cliff...I should be more "nurturing"... ;)

chrisbard 23rd December, 2009 07:24 AM

Spank me oh master for spamming this cute thread !!! :rolling:

ThunderRd 23rd December, 2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard (Post 501838)
Spank me oh master for spamming this cute thread !!! :rolling:

So that was you, eh, Bard?

You have far too much time on yer hands den... ;)

cloasters 23rd December, 2009 09:27 PM

This thread is confusing. Help me Mr Wizard? Nah, that never works.

chrisbard 23rd December, 2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderRd (Post 501846)
So that was you, eh, Bard?

You have far too much time on yer hands den... ;)

Well if you mean that I posted under a different nick thats a no. I was just pushing your buttons a bit ! :rolling:

PS I love RD he's such a fine gentleman !!! :thumbsup:

KJP316 24th December, 2009 03:58 AM

Psu

PSU is 600 Watt SLI Ready

ThunderRd 24th December, 2009 04:56 AM

Lots of information around the net on that error and similar ones in nvlddmkm.sys.

Most of them point to re-installing the driver as a starting point to troubleshooting. What driver and OS are you on?

noob 25th December, 2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJP316 (Post 501873)
PSU is 600 Watt SLI Ready

Need to know what make and model - there are 600W and 600W PSU's.

A generic could all be on the 5V line, and only 'SLi Ready' due to the connections. Also that could be rated to 20C and only a 250W PSU at a real operating temp of ~50C

booman 26th December, 2009 05:49 PM

good call Noob. So are you saying the PSU may not be SLI certified?
He purchased the whole computer pre-built from a company. The Power Supply has two 6 pin PCI-E conectors too.
Why would they build a system with SLI and not have a certified Power Supply?

Gizmo 26th December, 2009 10:00 PM

2 reasons:
  1. Because they are cheap, and figure that by the time it becomes a problem, whatever warranty they gave on the system will have expired anyway.
  2. Because they are clueless.

IMO, it's about a 50/50 shot as to which is more likely....

noob 27th December, 2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 501942)
2 reasons:
  1. Because they are cheap, and figure that by the time it becomes a problem, whatever warranty they gave on the system will have expired anyway.
  2. Because they are clueless.

IMO, it's about a 50/50 shot as to which is more likely....

I'll definitely second this.

This is probably my biggest beef. You get someone willing to spend upwards of $3k on a PC yet only wants to spend ~$40 on a PSU. Its like buying a Ferrari and sticking unleaded 91 in it. While its going to go for a while, its not good and it will crap out, probably taking things with it. OEM's and prebuilt machines are typically the worst at this.

SLi ready and SLi certified are 2 very different things. SLi ready just means it has 2 6pin connectors. SLi certified means it has met some sort of standard - which IMHO is a design and quality standard which any PSU should meet at least the quality part of. Any decent branded PSU far surpasses the quality aspect. Any PSU which passes the tests
Jonny gives at JonnyGURU.com - Antec Truepower Quattro 1200W Review far surpasses just about any quality standard anyone can name.

Probably 90% of all computer problems I deal with are PSU related.

I could probably build myself a 600W rated PSU for about $20 in used parts, and it would be at least as good as any $40 no name PSU.

booman 27th December, 2009 09:43 PM

I got it... So he needs to see if his Power Supply is SLI CERTIFIED.
I'll ask him to check. He could buy a new one and see if it still has the blue screen problem.

noob 28th December, 2009 09:41 AM

I would say that, and remove the nVidia drivers using something like driver cleaner, and reinstalling them fresh - while a brilliant idea you wouldn't believe the problems driver rollback in windows causes with nVidia and ATi drivers

Sorry if I sounded like I was beating a dead cat, but its something that rubs me wrong - especially after dealing with a co-irker who for the past 3 months has been harping on about computer problems - caused by his cheapest comes in case PSU money can buy.

KJP316 17th January, 2010 06:34 PM

I don't see a brand name on it. Is it at a specific location?