AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   CRASHED! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/6-crashed/)
-   -   cant boot, wont boot, cant flash, wont flash. cant live, help (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/crashed/8823-cant-boot-wont-boot-cant-flash.html)

stallen 29th August, 2002 11:34 AM

cant boot, wont boot, cant flash, wont flash. cant live, help

Please help before I have a nervous breakdown.

I have purchased an epox mother board, model number EP-8K3A+.
I have an AMD Athlon XP2200 installed.
I have a Matrox hard drive which I used on my old system, with winXP installed. This has my previous programs on it, which I need to use. So I do not wish to format this drive. This is attached to IDE 1.

I have a DVD player attached as master and DVD recorder attached as slave on IDE2.

I have tried to flash the BIOS using the BIOS image file downloaded from your website, file 8K3a2815.bin.

When I try to boot the Pc I can get in to the Bios set up. After set up I am struggling to boot, with the pc halting with the message ‘verifying DMI pool data’ and progressing no further.

When I try to Flash the BIOS using ALT+F2 I get a message saying ‘ file name to program’ and ‘waiting’. What file name do I need to enter and is the waiting message stating that it is waiting for me to enter this, or is it waiting while it searches for this file name?

It would help if you could answer the following questions as well:

1. should it cause problems if I try to use my existing hard drive with windows XP on it?
2. Should it cause problems using 2 hard drives on IDE1?
3. Should it cause problems using a DVD player and DVD recorder/writer on IDE 2?

I hope you can help as I am now getting very tired and frustrated after three days of trying to sort this out.

Thank you.

Pinky 29th August, 2002 03:32 PM

Are your drives being detected by the bios ??

SteveI 29th August, 2002 03:42 PM

If yes to Pinky's question, what PSU are you using?

This is not a problem yet, but in your previous system, what was the mobo you were using?

SteveI 29th August, 2002 03:48 PM

Re: cant boot, wont boot, cant flash, wont flash. cant live, help

Quote:

Originally posted by stallen
....It would help if you could answer the following questions as well:

1. should it cause problems if I try to use my existing hard drive with windows XP on it?
2. Should it cause problems using 2 hard drives on IDE1?
3. Should it cause problems using a DVD player and DVD recorder/writer on IDE 2?

Silly comment, but do you have a bootable floppy with the updated bios on it?

To answer your other questions,
1. Depends on the previous mobo.. If it is remotely similiar, XP should be able to detect and update the drivers for you. You may have to do a repair, but this would not impact installed software.
2. No, as long as you have cable select or master/slave configured properly.
3. No, same as 2. (There may be slight performance hits, but nothing major.)

Once you have everything working... you can always use the raid channels for your HDDs so everything can run as masters if you want, but let's not go there yet.

stallen 29th August, 2002 04:07 PM

Thanks for replying. yes the BIOS is detecting my drives, my PSU is a 300w one, unfortunately i dont have a bootable disk. i did try to put the disk back on to the old mobo but encountered problems. it was hanging on verifying DMI pool data. my old mobo was a via k73a, which is similar.

once again guys, thanks for replying as epox tech supports was " i can only install using a new HDD" which seemed to be a little short on answers to my questions, i have pointed this out but they havent got back in touch yet. Great eh!

Lionfish 29th August, 2002 04:24 PM

Re: cant boot, wont boot, cant flash, wont flash. cant live, help

Quote:

Please help before I have a nervous breakdown.

I have tried to flash the BIOS using the BIOS image file downloaded from your website, file 8K3a2815.bin.

When I try to Flash the BIOS using ALT+F2 I get a message saying ‘ file name to program’ and ‘waiting’. What file name do I need to enter and is the waiting message stating that it is waiting for me to enter this, or is it waiting while it searches for this file name?

I hope you can help as I am now getting very tired and frustrated after three days of trying to sort this out.

Thank you.

When it ask's for the file name what you want to put in is one of the "bin's" like, 8KHI2529.BIN or like you said 8K3a2815.bin, etc.

stallen 29th August, 2002 04:37 PM

thanks for that Lionfish. Keep it coming guys you are a great help.

Orbit 29th August, 2002 05:14 PM

300w psu? Could be one of the problems. Got anything bigger, say in the 400w region? These new boards REALLY suck up the power. Even if you do get it to boot, you may have serious issues with stability.

SteveI 29th August, 2002 05:37 PM

stallen,
If the bin file is on your hdd, and it's formatted NTFS, I doubt you will be able to access it using Alt+f2. A bootable floppy with the flash executable and bin file are the tried and true way to flash a bios.

Regarding PSUs, 300w may or may not be enough. I would say a really good quality PSU should be able to handle it, barely. What is the model and brand? Also, a quick test to see if you are underpowered would be to disconnect power to the DVD, DVDRW and any other non-critical devices, and try to boot up with just the one hdd....
good luck.

cloasters 29th August, 2002 07:58 PM

Welcome to AOA, stallen. Glad to have you on board!

Folks easily forget that the info on their old tried and true HDD packed with goodness painstakingly collected over time just might have an issue with a brand new motherboard.

The HDD 'thinks' that the old mainboard with its old familiar BIOS is on the other end of its IDE ribbon. It's not.

If you booted into Safe Mode and deleted every driver in Device Manager, then shut down the machine, right before you replaced your mobo with the new one, you MIGHT have avoided the pickle you are now in.

I'm hopeful that the suggestions you've received will lead you into Maxtor/Epox happiness. If they don't, I hope you can copy your important data from the Maxtor to a DVD-ROM, or another HDD. For which you will probably need an extra machine. Depending on how important this data is, you may have to reinstall your previous mainboard to enable saving it from the Maxtor to another drive. If you don't have a "B Box," that is.

We all hate to hear this, sorry. You may have to fdisk and format the Maxtor, so that it will be happy with the new mainboard. I decided to fdisk and format my main drive before installing XP recently. But I'm lucky, I have an extra HDD that I transfer important data to before I do "reconstruction" projects, be they changing hardware, or simply getting a fresh start with a new OS.

It's OK to use a Win98SE boot floppy when you need to fdisk and format. You can change FAT32 partitions to NTFS as needed when, or after you install XP Pro.

SteveI 29th August, 2002 09:12 PM

stallen,
I just remembered. WHen you do alt+f2, the command automatically attempts to find the floppy (a:) and the bin file to start the flash. If set up correctly, you shouldn't need to type anything after alt+f2. It sounds like you don't have a working floppy set up yet.

stallen 30th August, 2002 02:20 PM

To everyone who has bothered to take the time to reply, thank you. You have all helped to restore my faith in mankind.

I made another boot disk and installed the new BIOS, which worked. there are a few minor problems at the moment, such as my DVD and DVD writer not showing up. When i look in devices on the system it says that its a code 12 i.e. disable some devices. I think this is down to some of the software i installed from epox. I think i will be able to sort it out but any suggestions would be welcome as i am unsure at this moment which devices to disable.

I have my 2 Drives on the same IDE, which i think in theory shouldnt cause a problem.

I have my DVD and DVD writer on the same IDE as well. I was thinking of putting my HDDs on the RAID IDEs, what do you think? can i do this without having HDDs on IDE1 and 2?

Anyway guys, keep the suggestions coming, and once again thanks to you all.

Pinky 30th August, 2002 03:13 PM

I have my (2) harddrives on the same ide, and DVDROM and CDRW drive on the same ide... it really shouldn't matter, IMO.

Make sure you try another cable with those drives, even try to force/yes/enable the ECSD update in the bios (should be under the plug-play/advanced configurations, where ACPI is also selected). This forced the bios to update new hardware with windows on next boot.

Make sure you have your drive jumpers set correctly, I made that mistake the other day with a new cdrw drive ;).

stallen 30th August, 2002 03:36 PM

Thanks pinky, i will try that (although i thought i had set it to force ECSD)

The other thing i forgot to mention was that nowhere in the BIOS set up can i see anything to configure my CPU speed. It does say though that it is set to 1500+. I have an AthlonXP 2200. Have i gone blind, or just stupid?

Pinky 30th August, 2002 04:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks pinky, i will try that (although i thought i had set it to force ECSD)

The other thing i forgot to mention was that nowhere in the BIOS set up can i see anything to configure my CPU speed. It does say though that it is set to 1500+. I have an AthlonXP 2200. Have i gone blind, or just stupid?

Oh, there are settings in there :p

Look closer ;) Should be bus speed and voltage settings, as well as multiplier adjustment (only works if the chip's "unlocked", which you actually have to do yourself).

SteveI 30th August, 2002 06:36 PM

Quote:

.....The other thing i forgot to mention was that nowhere in the BIOS set up can i see anything to configure my CPU speed. It does say though that it is set to 1500+. I have an AthlonXP 2200. Have i gone blind, or just stupid?
No, where it is set for 1500+, select it, and hit the enter key.. A menu should pop up that gives you many choices. Either the first or last choice is User Define... By selecting this, you will open up a few additional inputs to allow you to change multipliers and FSB. The same thing holds true for voltages on the same screen.

BTW, On my AT7, I have 3 hdds, all masters connected to the RAID controller.. In the bios, I have the first boot device set to RAID133, and I have my DVD and CDRW set as masters on the regular IDEs. This should work for you too.. Sounds like the conflicts you have may be due to incorrect jumper settings for master/slave. If you do it the way I did, everything will be a master on it's own cable. Good Luck.

stallen 31st August, 2002 04:31 PM

Guys, once again thanks for the help.

unfortunately i have abused this. I had my pc up and running again (Thanks to you guys) and tried to be clever. I downloaded the latest detonator drivers and couldnt get the correct settings for my projector, the PAL settings when selected for england wouldnt show up correctly, soooo i tried to roll back the drivers and tried to change some settings in the bios. I now cant get my system to boot or get in to the BIOS to change things back.

It keeps sticking on 25 on the diagnostics LED. i have tried changing the cpu, i have tried with just cpu and memory, i have tried after i have tried after resetting the CMOS. i still get the same diagnostic result.

Can anybody help?

Also pinky mentioned unlocking the Chip, how do i do this?
i hope you guys can help seeing as epox tech guy didnt even get back in touch.

Thanks

:confused:

cloasters 31st August, 2002 08:26 PM

Unlocking the Multiplier of K7 CPU's is done by Swiss watch making elves. JK. It's a subject covered in detail here, and other places on ye 'Net. And it seems to be of no real utility in this case. For now.

Sheesh. At this point in time, I suggest moving any critical data off of your HDD to another drive, CD-ROM, whatever.

Perhaps I'm too fond of the fdisk and format solution. Yet it's very effective. I wish I'd chimed in on this thread earlier.

Some folks are lucky. They swap a mainboard and it's brand new BIOS causes no problems at all. However, I've done the lazy method too. Every time I've weaseled out of what I personally see as a mandatory step when swapping mobo's, that is fdisking then formatting the primary master HDD so that it shakes hands with the new BIOS properly, it either led to the kinds of problems stallen is having, or symptoms that are extremely amusing.

The pre-used HDD causes the weirdest things to happen a day or two after changing the mobo from under it. They actually make you laugh, because they are minor things that you've never seen before. Sorry, I can't remember them, exactly.

These tiny glitches indicate much deeper incompatability problems. Then it's time to get off of my lazy self and do the mobo swap CORRECTLY. "But I wanna save my poodle screen savers, they're too precious to lose."
Too bad!!

stallen 1st September, 2002 10:58 PM

Thanks for your input. I am still having a sh** load of problems i.e you have persuaded me. I am off to buy a new Maxtor hard drive tomorrow. i then should be able to copy the useful files from my other HDDs and a) copy them to DVD, b) import useful goodies to my new hard drive c) then beat them to death with an industrial Jack Hammer.

stallen 1st September, 2002 11:05 PM

Dear all.

I have narrowed my problems down to what MUST be (please god) my mobo not liking my reformatted HDDs, hence, 8 hours from now i am off to buy a new one. if that doesnt work i am seriously contemplating suicide.

I will keep you informed.

Once again thanks for all your help.

ps Does anyone know what this means?IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, as i keep ending up at this BSOD when trying to reload windows, reformat my HDDs