AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September, 2005, 12:06 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Angry unwanted toolbar

not sure where to put this
The family computer seems to picked up some toolbar on internet explorer.
The obvious link on it that has: "Remove Toolbar" just take you to a website that says access denied >_< and it doesnt seem to appear on the add/remove programs :| ran the usual programs,

spybot came across an Altnet thing which it couldnt get rid of at all even after it asked to be run at startup...
picture below:
Attached Thumbnails
unwanted toolbar-toolbar.png  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2005, 12:27 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Use Firefox.

Other than that, you'll need to hack it out of the registry.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2005, 09:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Try Tools\Manage Add-ons -> select the not wanted one (I hope you see it there) and disable it.
Also try Ad-Aware, SpywareGuard + Spyware Blaster from www.javacoolsoftware.com, they can help you.
Old 21st September, 2005, 11:42 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Could well be implemented as a BHO (Browser Helper Object). You could try BHODemon, but I've not had personal experience with it.
Old 21st September, 2005, 02:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

i've never used spyware gaurd before or BHODemon, might give the demon a try.

I have put firefox on the family computer a few times, but the family doesnt like like it, they visit pages that need i.e to run properly so they got fed up with firefox, although i enjoyed pointing out that i use firefox and dont get their problems
Old 21st September, 2005, 04:09 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey, Opera is now free!

AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2005, 04:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Update
BHODemon has worked its magic ^^
it detected it as malware avguw.dll or something, disabled it, will find out if the bleeder has come back after i come home form work..
Old 21st September, 2005, 05:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Good for you ! Cheers mate
Old 21st September, 2005, 08:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Well done. AltNet have a tendancy to become like a limpet; stuck in the registry!

Also, as pitch said, use firefox. But as i say, use Re-volt (X2 released on october 5th over at my website, my god, it's gonna be so awesome).

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 21st September, 2005, 10:28 PM
Member/Contributer

In future to stop those 'helpful' toolbars:

internet properties -> advanced -> uncheck enable third party browser extensions

This will also remove google toolbar, MSN toobar, 180 Search assistant, and quite a few others. Also MS Antispyware will ask if you want to change that if its installed so you wont get automatic downloads and installs again.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 22nd September, 2005, 11:05 PM
Member/Contributer

unfortunatly the norton IS and the spybot S&D would be disabled as well, its not my computer, i let them deal with it most of the time
Old 23rd September, 2005, 08:32 PM

Spybot now pops up this Ok box telling me various things such as MediaPlex have been blocked on EVERY single hotmail page I visit in IE, which I access via Msn. At elast 3 pop up for every page.
Know how to stop it?
Old 7th October, 2005, 02:30 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Spybot now pops up this Ok box telling me various things such as MediaPlex have been blocked on EVERY single hotmail page I visit in IE, which I access via Msn. At elast 3 pop up for every page.
Know how to stop it?
2 posts above

Quote:
In future to stop those 'helpful' toolbars:

internet properties -> advanced -> uncheck enable third party browser extensions

This will also remove google toolbar, MSN toobar, 180 Search assistant, and quite a few others. Also MS Antispyware will ask if you want to change that if its installed so you wont get automatic downloads and installs again.
also disable tea timer

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 11th October, 2005, 10:16 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

fdisk /mbr...fdisk...format...clean install can do no harm if data has been saved. A second partition for music movies and data never hurts...
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 11th October, 2005, 03:43 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

im sure I posted on this about hacking them out of the registry... could have sworn i did this. Maybe i didnt.....

onward!

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 16th October, 2005, 02:40 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
fdisk /mbr...fdisk...format...clean install can do no harm if data has been saved. A second partition for music movies and data never hurts...
only problem is, nowadays many people opt to buy the store computer cos of of the cheap price tag, and this often comes with no OS installation cd =| at best sometimes u will get restore disks, but its not the same
Old 16th October, 2005, 04:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Piccolew, are you still having problems? Check out my pokpoka76 post (in this forum) for details on how to remove things like this. You'll need to study processes which you haven't noticed before and then follow the instructions on that page. I also recommend that you block complete access to the internet while you clean the infection.

Or if you want to, download toolbar cop, this allows you to remove anything to do with MSIE and toolbars, including hidden things like hooks.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 16th October, 2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
2 posts above

also disable tea timer
Thank you so much!