AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th December, 2005, 02:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Homeland Security Depending on Windows95?

CNET News is reporting that roughly 4500 passengers were delayed at Miami International for an extended period of time last August due to a computer crash, which apparently lasted for several hours.

According to the story, an attempt was made in June to upgrade to Windows2000, but due to software incompatibilities the upgrade had to be canceled and the department had to roll back to Windows95 on a significant number of machines.

Let's see. We were going to UPGRADE to Windows2000?

Gee, I feel safer already.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th December, 2005, 03:45 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I wonder how many of thier machines are useing cutting edge RDRAM?

Have you heard of SpaceX? I only bring them up because they said one of the reasons they can do it cheaper is because the government likes to use "Proven" technology. Proven as in has been around longer than dirt.

I could have been worse, they could have been upgrading to Windows ME.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th December, 2005, 04:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Actually, 'proven' technology is pretty modern at the time it is proposed for aquisition. But the approval and aquisition process is so lengthy that it is often several years from the time the proposal is made to the time it is actually implemented, resulting in the deployment of 'new' technology that is antiquated by the time it gets deployed.

That, coincidentally, is part of the reason for $500 toilet seats and $600 hammers.
Old 16th December, 2005, 05:44 PM

Hahaha...2 months ago the USDA upgraded to Windows XP and Office XP from Windows NT 4.0 and Office 2000. WOOO we have USB!

Government procurement is a strange animal. They'll begin attempting procurement for a certain program/piece of hardware at a certain date. Depending upon different companies/rules and regulations/attempts at retaining cultural diversity and avoiding racial or sexual discrimination a certain company/individual will be chosen to fulfill the contract for the targeted software/hardware, and by that time their "new" stuff is actually two or three advances behind. I.E. we were getting Windows 95 when Windows 98 was brand new, got NT 4.0 as 2000 was headlining, and finally snagged XP Pro as 64 is making its way in.

Also, we recently got P4 2.4 ghz machines!!! An awesome upgrade from our 800mhz PIIIs.
Old 16th December, 2005, 06:04 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I know of at least one bank that was only just adopting NT 4 as 2000 was coming out. It'd taken them that long to fully test their systems to make sure that nothing unexpected would happen, and that they could work around any issues they discovered.

Regression testing is a pain. XP SP2 caused enough problems when it changed the DCOM model - many apps broke because Microsoft changed the way the DCOM permissions were set.
Old 16th December, 2005, 06:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

DCOM wasn't the only thing that got broken. There are a lot of apps that store user settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (despite MS saying for years that they should use HKEY_CURRENT_USER) that all of a sudden discovered that they wouldn't work any more. Same with storing stuff in the Program Files directory.
Old 16th December, 2005, 08:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Making the world safe for Terror since, well, since I turned the damn thing on for the first time!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 16th December, 2005, 09:00 PM

Just finished upgrading the Govt office I work in to Server 2003 and Office 2003. My state of the art, 6 month old work station is a 2.4 P4 with a wopping 256meg of ram and Intel integrated graphics. Yea that baby flies when I put some graphics intensive apps on it.

The really bad part about it is the Govt paid full retail for the work station. The invoiced price was in the area of $1200 USD. I could have built a real nice rig for that price.
Old 16th December, 2005, 09:57 PM

$1,200? wow thats really bad I could have built a comparitive $2500 alienware for that with a 6800 GS.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 17th December, 2005, 01:06 AM

I hope there saving up for vista or something, cheap SOB's just like my school.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."