AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th April, 2006, 06:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to bonesaw

start up programs

i really dont know what i'm talking about so help me out a little if you could. my friend has a bit of a problem i cant fix. he has about 50 something start up programs that you have to go through and end or at least i do it when i play a game or something at his house. most of them are real programs like abunch of stuff he has that i can tell what it is. but there is some programs that look fishy. i was wondering if anyone know how to somehow configure this so that nothing starts without you starting it to give up more 'room' for the programs you want to be using. i only have 23 running processes usauly i want to try to get his close to that. thanks in advance
g. skill 6400 5-5-5-15-2t 4 gigs
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
300gb Seagate ide + Seagate 750gb sata
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th April, 2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to membreya Send a message via MSN to membreya

There are two ways to remove startup programs that aren't in the startup menu.

Click on start and press run, type "regedit" and press enter.

Go through the sections using the following breadcrumbs:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

The other option is at the run dialogue box to type "msconfig", select Startup and remove/disable the programs you don't want running. You might want to also disable unnecessary services, however if you're not confident in that or you're not sure what a service does..don't "futz", ask
Old 27th April, 2006, 02:01 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I'd start by installing Lava softs "Adware" program. You can find it in our files section.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th April, 2006, 02:54 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

depending on what operating system you have you can disable some start up programs by going to:

start menu > run then type in:
msconfig
and run that. this should work for windows 98, me and xp

if its windows 2000 you might have to go through the registry.
or there is a pice of software called: Startup Control Panel created Mike Lin

Here is his home page: http://www.mlin.net

its down the left hand side under software.

Hope this helps
Old 27th April, 2006, 06:04 PM

If you check programs listed under the registry key identified by membreya - this site gives some useful pointers to the purpose of each:

http://castlecops.com/slet-c.html
Old 28th April, 2006, 12:43 AM

thanks alot it already helped me get rid of a few pointless thing 2 seconds after i read this. one thing i'm not sure of is how do the services work there are alot of them that "looK" like thing i will never use but i dont want to get rid of something that may be a vital. and the thing with my friends computer is that services like managers and totaly wasteful on the memory programs. aoa kicks ass
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 28th April, 2006, 12:51 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

if you are running windows 2000/xp you can go to:

start menu > run
and type in:
services.msc
i think most services give a brief explanation of what they are for.
Old 29th April, 2006, 10:56 AM

This site provides the sort of reference I think you are looking for:

http://www.processlibrary.com/

I've done this exercise and used the management console to disable processes that don't need to run but can't say I've seen any noticeable performance improvement.
Old 29th April, 2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw
he has about 50 something start up programs that you have to go through and end...i only have 23 running processes usauly i want to try to get his close to that. thanks in advance
Holy crap! How do you guys have any RAM left to use? 23-50 progs going on startup! I only have Avast anti-virus & ATIexe loaded into RAM when I start up, anything else I'll turn on as needed.

Try this free util also: RegCleaner 4.3. It's great for clearing out any extra garbage that's in your registry, and under "Startup List", you'll see all the apps on a checklist that are loaded in on startup, so you can uncheck them to not load.
Old 29th April, 2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec61
Holy crap! How do you guys have any RAM left to use? 23-50 progs going on startup! I only have Avast anti-virus & ATIexe loaded into RAM when I start up, anything else I'll turn on as needed.

Try this free util also: RegCleaner 4.3. It's great for clearing out any extra garbage that's in your registry, and under "Startup List", you'll see all the apps on a checklist that are loaded in on startup, so you can uncheck them to not load.
That's total processes running, not startup apps aztec dude my system has been on for only 8 hours and currently has just over 50 processes running

Just looked at my registry startup programs...22 set to load on boot only 1 gb of RAM but I never run short of it (except when I play X3: Reunion ..but that game kills ANY PC)
Old 29th April, 2006, 04:12 PM

50 sounds a bit much....mine usually never goes above 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 29th April, 2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

Yeah but I run a lot of superfluous stuff. Things like ipoint and itype for the mickeysoft keyboard/mouse. bitdefender loads about 4 different processes, plus my nvidia/nforce applications

As I said though, never really noticed any lack in performance even from a clean install (the only thing I notice is my total boot time is about 45 seconds-1minute whereas in a clean install it's 25-30 seconds)

Different horses for different courses as they say!
Old 29th April, 2006, 08:00 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw
thanks alot it already helped me get rid of a few pointless thing 2 seconds after i read this. one thing i'm not sure of is how do the services work there are alot of them that "looK" like thing i will never use but i dont want to get rid of something that may be a vital. and the thing with my friends computer is that services like managers and totaly wasteful on the memory programs. aoa kicks ass
If I ever come across a process that I find questionable I google it to read and learn about it. Half the time it's suppose to be there.. the other... it's something that I don't want running.
HTH
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 29th April, 2006, 08:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

To prevent undesireable programs from running at start up, try "Startup Monitor" (Available in AOA files.)

Install it and reboot, it will ask about each program that tries to load and weather or not you want to let it, it's a pretty much one time thing for each program, set it and forget it, very small foot print.

It then asks you only about any new program that wants to load at start up. I came across this by way of Aedan, so you know it's good! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th April, 2006, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
To prevent undesireable programs from running at start up, try "Startup Monitor" (Available in AOA files.)

Install it and reboot, it will ask about each program that tries to load and weather or not you want to let it, it's a pretty much one time thing for each program, set it and forget it, very small foot print.

It then asks you only about any new program that wants to load at start up. I came across this by way of Aedan, so you know it's good! ":O}
Most decent AV's should offer that, but kudos on recommending it

bonesaw: any update on how you're going with this PC?

Oh ...and I have to take this opportunity to gloat, to laude it over you Daniel~. The apparently infallible have fallen, and like a lot of people your downfall was the word "whether".
Old 30th April, 2006, 04:21 AM

what do you mean membreya? bonesaw: any update on how you're going with this PC?
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 30th April, 2006, 04:25 AM
Banned

I meant have you cleaned up everything? is it running ok now?
Old 1st May, 2006, 04:06 AM

no i haven't got to go over to my friends house in a few days. the point of doing this is to give him better preformance for gaming, with his limited memory and old card. but hopefully i can get over within the new week.
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 5th May, 2006, 07:53 AM

the only thing i know to do to answer my above question is to turn services off turn of start up programs and uninstall the unnecisary programs. am i right or is there more i dont know. and what happens if you got your agp apt up to a gig but thats all you have? because i was testing something by taking out a stick and left everything in the bios the same and everything ran fine. my point being if you told your computer that it had to use all it had just for running a game it wouldn't hurt anything.
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w