AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd October, 2006, 05:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

ICANN, can't much longer. EU tries to assert herself...

Written by Daniel
Monday, 02 October 2006
EU welcomes autonomy plan for Net governance
By Reuters
Published: October 2, 2006, 4:58 AM PDT
C/Net

The European Commission welcomed on Monday U.S. government moves to make the company that manages Internet domain names independent by 2009, but said it would monitor the process carefully.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), which controls addresses including ".com" and country domain names such as ".cn" for China, now reports to the U.S. Commerce Department.

On Friday, the Commerce Department said it would retain oversight for three more years, renewing an agreement that was scheduled to expire last weekend.

But a lighter regime was introduced, with ICANN no longer having to file reports with the Commerce Department every six months or having its work prescribed for it, the European Commission said.

Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd October, 2006, 07:10 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I have to agree that any one country effectively having controll is a bad move, I think that if the UN or such was in charge it would make for a fairer system

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2006, 01:23 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
I have to agree that any one country effectively having controll is a bad move, I think that if the UN or such was in charge it would make for a fairer system
So do you want someone like let's say China having say over your web? (cuz ya know they don't limit what there people get on the web)

It's not fair now? Well maybe your right... under UN controll nothing will ever get done or take forever to do.

I for one think this is just a move to move the internet over to a "BUSINESS MODEL" web. Say good bye to free internet.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah

Last edited by robbie; 3rd October, 2006 at 01:24 AM.