AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th October, 2006, 05:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Communtiy guide: Email scams are evolving and how to stay safe

Hi all,
It looks like it's finally happening, the days of lame looking spoof emails are disappearing and being replaced with more convincing siblings. Yes, today, i received one, "from ebay" with "a member" asking me a question. If i may, i present to you, subject A:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1161274008

Looks ever so convincing, at least to the unsuspecting. Now, at the moment i read this, i was thinking of responding to the question, despite not having anything for sale like this, because i thought someone had got into my account. So, i clicked the link. Hmmm, what page was it that appeared. Oh that's right, the "ebay" login page. Hmmm, so i entered part of my username and froze. Lucky i stopped because if i hadn't, i wouldn't have noticed the address bar. Yep, not ebay's server. In fact, when i browsed to the domain, it was actually some far eastern language and looked to be some sort of service provider (i.e. email servers, web servers, etc).

Now, would you have been fooled? Here's how you detect fake from real (as far as you can without going the long way round). It's a simple, two step double check. Firstly, ebay include your member name in ALL their emails. If you can't find it, then it's a fake. 100%, no doubt, fake.
Secondly, you can do the following:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1161273986

That's it! If the link tooltip that appears (the little yellow box with text in it) doesn't have ebay.com/ (not just ebay.com), then it is probably gonne be a fake.

It's simple enough to avoid it, just go to ebay.com in your web browser and go from there.

Note: For obvious reasons, i decided to protect the members name as it could be a real member and they don't deserver grief for something they may not have been involved in.
Attached Thumbnails
Communtiy guide: Email scams are evolving and how to stay safe-ebm333slvghtbbidp.png   Communtiy guide: Email scams are evolving and how to stay safe-ebm333slvgbidp.png  

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2006, 05:28 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

That looks pretty legit, phising and crap like that really sucks.

Also, you suceeded in margin screwing the page

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
That looks pretty legit, phising and crap like that really sucks.

Also, you suceeded in margin screwing the page
It's why i made this guide. There are people out there that don't know much better and will hand over their details. It's designed to save a few minutes fo everyone.

As for margins, i know, and didn't mean to. It doesn't even fit completely on my screen and i'm at 1280x1024. But it's to make it as clear as possible. Think of it as symbolic .

Old 19th October, 2006, 05:47 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Basic rule is to go and manually type in the address for whatever site it might be. This doesn't just affect Ebay, but all sorts of stuff.

There are also some toolbars designed to try and detect phishing attacks and these can help too.
Old 19th October, 2006, 06:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Of course the 'anti-phishing' toolbars can bring with them privacy issues of their own, because they have to contact a central server with information about what you are viewing, and the browser is likely going to give away all kinds of personally identifiable information about you.

sigh. It never ends........
Old 19th October, 2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Of course the 'anti-phishing' toolbars can bring with them privacy issues of their own, because they have to contact a central server with information about what you are viewing, and the browser is likely going to give away all kinds of personally identifiable information about you.

sigh. It never ends........

Hmm, you've got me thinking there, we have a helluva lot of knowledgable people here at AOA who excel in a certain area of computing. Perhaps we could build a community web browser and by using all the knowledge everyone here has, we can utilise all sorts of different thing. For example, instructions that utilise the CPU as effectively as possible. Our own custom browser engine (incredibly hard but could turn out incredibly, erm, incredible). Our own guidelines on privacy and best practices. I know that this isn't actually going to happen though because no one will be bothered....

Old 20th October, 2006, 08:16 AM

You casn't expect them to be. It's a nice idea but browsers take a very long time to develop, and even then, they may not be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 20th October, 2006, 03:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have been getting a few of these over the last two months or so. It took me a second to realize I did not bid on anything like what came. I NEVER send info requested by an email. I went right to My Ebay and nothing was there. Imagine that...
Old 14th November, 2006, 05:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Argh, larcenous pigs!