AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th November, 2006, 06:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Does Vista need AV or not?

Last week, outgoing Microsoft President Jim Allchin observed that his son ran Vista on his home system with no Anti-virus software . This immediately caused a furor among the press; no one could believe that someone would be running a computer in this day and age without AV software installed.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1399/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2006, 06:50 PM

I dont run an AV....whats the problem again?
Old 15th November, 2006, 06:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

That you may unwittingly infect everyone you know or commutate with...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2006, 07:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Good story. I guess in theory you can run a machine with no AV. If you only go to sites that you know are safe or no internet at all.

I take no chances. Especially with kids using the internet. Even if you lock it down tight, they always manage to get somewhere they should not.

Better safe than broken....especially with all the free AV programs available.
Old 15th November, 2006, 07:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I didn't run AV for years and years. I practiced safe computing, didn't open attachments from people I didn't know, all of that good stuff.

Then I got infected. I don't remember which virus it was now; it was pretty harmless, actually. But I got infected, not because I was doing something I shouldn't, but because I had received an e-mail that had been helpfully opened by Outlook without my knowledge.

And that is part of the problem, IMO. There is so much going on behind the scenes that the user doesn't know about that they could be infected by something through no fault of their own.
Old 16th November, 2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I didn't run AV for years and years. I practiced safe computing, didn't open attachments from people I didn't know, all of that good stuff.

Then I got infected. I don't remember which virus it was now; it was pretty harmless, actually. But I got infected, not because I was doing something I shouldn't, but because I had received an e-mail that had been helpfully opened by Outlook without my knowledge.

And that is part of the problem, IMO. There is so much going on behind the scenes that the user doesn't know about that they could be infected by something through no fault of their own.

Not to mentions the number of people that are very computer illiterate. I have seen machines with 2 year old versions of the OEM AV and they think they are safe. So the click away. To me it just make good sense to be safe that sorry.
Old 16th November, 2006, 09:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Places on the Web tell me that if you run Windows, you're attacked every fifteen minutes. I have a friend that gets murderized by Trojans because his ISP doesn't run good AV protection. I pay an extra $20 per month so that I have the added protection of a GOOD ISP. It's worth it, because they also have outstanding tech support.
Old 17th November, 2006, 06:02 AM

Sorry, but it doesnt mean a damn thing if your ISP has an AV.

You open a suspicsious attachment, you go to shady sites, download files with the same attitude. All the Virus protection in the world isnt gonna help you. If I was to go and download AVG right now, I bet it would come up with absolutely nothing; which is the way its gonna stay.
Old 17th November, 2006, 06:23 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You are absolutely right that having AV doesn't mean your machine is gonna be virus-free. Nor does not having AV mean that you do have a virus. But having AV goes a long way toward protecting people from themselves.
Old 17th November, 2006, 03:26 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Vista needs no AV ! It's running so fast by itself that if you put an AV it'll kill your compy ! Bwuahahahaha JK

Actualy Vista will run even on P III
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 27th November, 2006, 11:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Someone says it doesn't need AV and some think it might be true!? ":O}

This is the same MS that gave us IE the Secure browser? The Same MS that gave us secure web sites and safe browsing?

Any of you guys want to take advantage of a 'ol man and bet some money on Vista security? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 27th November, 2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 27th November, 2006, 11:40 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

No thanks!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 28th November, 2006, 06:33 AM

Hmm. Just downloaded and installed AVG, nice program I might say.
Fully updated, and ran the scan; took the greater part of an hour.....guess what?

...nada
Old 29th November, 2006, 07:49 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
Sorry, but it doesnt mean a damn thing if your ISP has an AV.

You open a suspicsious attachment, you go to shady sites, download files with the same attitude. All the Virus protection in the world isnt gonna help you. If I was to go and download AVG right now, I bet it would come up with absolutely nothing; which is the way its gonna stay.
Actually, it does. Of course I run a paid for AV prog that updates frequently. I don't even look at emails from people I don't know, much less open them. I don't use any email program. I've stopped looking at YouTube, it's a new horbourer of virus troubles. A good ISP can save you a lot of grief.
Old 29th November, 2006, 08:05 PM

The details you provided there, such as the emails and youtube havent the slightest thing to do with your isp.
Old 29th November, 2006, 08:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

True, but the ISP running AV on inbound e-mail and quarantining it before it gets to you CAN have an effect, even if you run AV yourself. Nailing that suspicious e-mail before it even gets to your computer is a much better solution in general than letting it get to your computer first. If nothing else, it reduces the amount of bandwidth you waste on junk e-mail.
Old 29th November, 2006, 09:30 PM

My ISP supposedly does that. plus it sorts spam. Usually attaches a (Suspected Spam) to the subj. line.

I also run AVG that updates and scans nightly. More for peace of mind. I have kids that have their own machines. And even though I block many sites I know are crap, some still get buy. AV is a necessity for them.
Old 2nd December, 2006, 10:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A report from the field! LOL

After close to two weeks off I had 2700 plus e-mails to down load all but 230 were spam. all but three of the spam were from my AOA E-mail account. The remaining three were from my Comcast account.

All were filtered by Opera, Zone alarm Pro Anti.

7 Viruses were found and cleansed.

Maybe you just have to be popular with the right people, but I can't remember the last week in which I didn't receive a virus.

When I've recently had words with a certain type and unavoidably hurt a few feelings in the forums I have in the past received up to 10 or 15 a day for a week or so, then like so many others I am forgotten...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd December, 2006, 11:26 PM

Well my aren't you the popular one....

Only your best friends care enough to send you an email bearing a gift...lol
Old 5th December, 2006, 05:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

I haven't run an AV in years. Apparently, being stuck on dial up helps avoid malware.

My ISP has spam and virus scanning on my email. I receive seven to eight emails a week these days, and only from people I know very well. Having a somewhat cryptic alpha numeric email address has helped cut down on spam as well.

But if Vista can stay bug free with marginally computer literate people using (and abusing) it, that would be a great leap forward for MS.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken