AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th April, 2007, 05:39 PM
AOA Staff

STEAM hacked, user credit cards may be at risk

Read it on the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/2392/1/

Comments?
Old 19th April, 2007, 05:54 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Angry

Hell there are hackers that got into NASA or CIA or whetever you name it, but STEAM beeing hacked...thats too bad ! As a CSS player I say to that guy "hope you'll end up in a USA prison facility!" Steam News hasn't published nothing yet, I just checked. Well I am off to another CSS game ! What??? my account has been deleted??? just kidding
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 19th April, 2007 at 05:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2007, 07:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

ugh..... I like the steam/valve client thingy, it makes keep your games together much easier and less time consumming. O well, I will still buy from a store or something then activate the code on steam, and not use their store.

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2007, 08:15 PM
Member/Contributer

The jokes on them, I don't have that card any more!!! lol!!

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th April, 2007, 08:58 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I have always bought the physical disc then activated it over steam, guess that makes me one of the lucky ones!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 19th April, 2007, 10:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
I have always bought the physical disc then activated it over steam, guess that makes me one of the lucky ones!
That's what i do as well. I've never had to use my card with Steam or Valve. And i have heard about this. I've had a look at the rips that were posted and he's either very clever, or he's genuinly hacked Valve. He also managed to get the Particle Benchmark thing as well, which he did post, but it had been deleted from the host.

From what i've seen in the actual files, i'd say he'd been hanging around their servers for a while, probably observing activity before he launched his attack. However, he appears to have installed a popular tool onto their server in order to access not only the files, but also their MySQL.

What i am more worried about is that we will end up seeing our keys banned or available for free to low life pirates. He says that he has root access to their server. However, with the files, he is only into their "Cafe" folder, which is pretty obvious that it is for the Valve Cybercafe program. Whether he actually has root access or not is another subject.

I would just awe on the side of caution for the moment as to me, the evidence is not yet compelling enough to say whether or not it will affect us all (he could be lying through his teeth about the MySQL). For example the credit card number samples (with removed CVV2's for security reasons) could be completely fake. Also, if he does have such access to the root, surely he would be providing copies of individual games files.

My advice is to just be careful. He doesn't have access to your computer, so it's not likely that he'll ban your account. Just be careful.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 19th April, 2007, 11:37 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
Bear in mind, fraudsters don't just target online services. Using you card in a regular shop has risks as well.

Today it was Steam. Who will they target next time?

The pain is, even if you have fraud protection, it can be weeks before you get that money back. If they emptied your bank account, that can leave you with a big problem!
Old 20th April, 2007, 12:23 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Update from VAVLe.

Quote:
"There has been no security breach of Steam," Valve director of marketing Doug Lombardi told 1UP. "The alleged hacker gained access to a third-party site that Valve uses to manage the commercial partners in its Cyber Cafe program. This Cyber Cafe billing system is not connected to Steam. We are working with law enforcement agencies on this matter, and encourage anyone with more information to e-mail us at Catch_A_Thief@valvesoftware.com."

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 20th April, 2007, 12:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
The alleged hacker gained access to a third-party site that Valve uses to manage the commercial partners in its Cyber Cafe program.
If I translate this correctly, are Valve saying "It's not our fault we didn't bother to check that our suppliers are properly secured"? If so, Valve should be shot for such a lax attitude towards customers' data. Valve are providing this service, and have responsibility that every link in the chain is sufficiently secure.
Old 20th April, 2007, 02:14 PM

From the update on the article it would seem that Valve denies that they themselves have been hacked.
Wheather they are just trying to save their a$$ or face, basically the same thing, is yet to be seen.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 20th April, 2007, 04:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Well, it looks as though the site where the hacker is usually found has been suspended yesterday. And today, it's escalated to a 403 instead of a "Site Suspended" message. We're still not safe as this information is still out there. Valve have let a clanger be dropped here by not setting security standards for partners. If that's their best excuse...

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)