AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th September, 2007, 11:48 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I think The Register might have forgotten that when this virus was released, Microsoft had already released Windows NT.

How does the virus attack Vista? As the boot sector is 16bit code, a 16bit virus will execute happily, until the machine flips into 32bit/64bit mode. At which point, the 32/64bit drivers take over all I/O functions, and the virus becomes history...
Old 18th September, 2007, 12:37 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

This particular virus is boot virus ! That was I was trying to explain. It's propagating but does nothing to the OS.

Thanks Aedan for the scientific explanation !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 18th September, 2007 at 12:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2007, 03:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ah 1st Fedora update this week, Up dated FireFox, Linux SE (security) Mendacity ( a Linux Desktop) and nine other programs, I see this kind of updating on average three time a week. My Fedora is ALWAYS up to date with the newest KNOWN STABLE updates. If I want to play with Beta like the Vista users, I have to ask for software that's not entirely expected to run well.

If I do that I know it MAY be a bit buggy, but that the Whole Linux community is benefiting from any trouble I have. It's REPORTED and ACTED so the next guy has a better time of it.

Sooner or later Chris, you will have to consider th source of your OS and who benefits in the world by you buying and using it.

I know that in Games Fedora and Linux as a whole as not yet up to snuff, still way to hard to get games running. So I still use Pro for that.

But I also know that MS damages my world every day and those who, like myself still us MS products help to damage our world everytime we send Bill our money.

If we want a better world for those who follow us unto this plane of life, we will have to stop pretending our actions either do not have consequences or that they only have the consequences we wish for and intend.

You've made Bill Gates Richer and more powerful than you had to in order to live. This make you a volunteer the same as me. But I serve an OS dedicated to serving the world at large, rich and poor alike.

You serve Bill gates and no one else besides your self. How much clearer need I make this for you? There is a war being fought, news of it's battels are reported every day on our front page.

For me it HAS to come down to this, Live free or die trying... I'm still waiting for most of my fellows to start trying...To realize that they make decisions every day that will effect the out come of this war.

I'm still waiting for them to awaken to their moral responsibilities and start asking about the RESULTS of their actions.

You know who and what Bill Gates is. Why do you serve him when you have a better choice one that does not damn you. One that doe not harm your world. Sometimes we laugh off what is deadly serious, it doesn't prevent it from harming or killing us or others.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 18th September, 2007 at 03:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Up dated FireFox, Linux SE (security) Mendacity ( a Linux Desktop) and nine other programs, I see this kind of updating on average three time a week.
Actually, this is something that worries me quite a bit. If these are security issues, then nine updates three times (27) a week should raise serious alarm bells about the quality of software.

Whilst people point out that opensource means that fixes can be written faster and released faster, I suspect it also means that people are less bothered with making sure it's right first time, because someone else will come along and fix it at some later point. Does that sound familiar?
Old 18th September, 2007, 04:48 PM
Steve Jobs

Just checking through my yum log, against the repo changelog, and of the most recent 100 odd package updates, only 8 or 9 were security related (SELinux Policy, SELinux Policy-Targeted, system-config-users etc.

The rest were non-critical KDE updates, QT updates, browser updates (which in fairness are probably security related), window manager (metacity), wine, and some dev tools.

The number of packages per week is generally very high, more due to the fact that the big things like KDE have 30 odd packages, most of which are only about a meg. Wine and Eclipse are the same story.

Due to the fact that Fedora is still backed by Redhat, although being called their community distro, you do typically find that they are more diligent than you would expect a purely not for profit or community distro.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 18th September, 2007, 05:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
Actually, this is something that worries me quite a bit. If these are security issues, then nine updates three times (27) a week should raise serious alarm bells about the quality of software.

Whilst people point out that opensource means that fixes can be written faster and released faster, I suspect it also means that people are less bothered with making sure it's right first time, because someone else will come along and fix it at some later point. Does that sound familiar?
Sorry, I was less than clear. SELinux was but one of my updates. As to laxness sliping in , well when have we humans ever been able to prevent that. But your in a much better position to say how big an impact this is having than I.

Granted, my usage is about as basic as it can get, but I've yet to see a strutter let alone a crash, except when trying to set up games, well one game and that thankfully for now has past. ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th September, 2007, 04:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

So we've gone from 13 yr old virus to how MS is evil?

This virus is not MS's fault...its a boot virus, that infected the boot sector....before windows was booted. If there was a virus that infected grub before linux is booted no linux distro I know of would detect and remove it on its own.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Old 19th September, 2007, 07:05 AM
Benchmarker

Exactly!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 19th September, 2007, 10:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Dan,

All the Bill lovers are showing up now....LOL
Old 19th September, 2007, 11:26 AM
Benchmarker

Sam I don't get your anger towards Bill while U are a happy XP user

Old 19th September, 2007, 11:46 AM

I ain't mad at him. Just feel deceived. And the term "happy XP user", hardly.

He, MS, promises us the world and gives us sour grapes. But what other choice do we have. If I have 7 computers in my house, I have to pay 7 times to load an OS on them. The alternative, is free Linux, that I am sure I could figure out but then have issues with games and the like. So yes, I do have a problem. Nothing like paying 150.00 for software that i have to accept the fact that I may or may not have problems with. If you went and bought an item, say a DVD player, for 150.00 and it occasionally stopped playing your movie, or ejected your disc or so on, you would take it back and buy another brand, There is no option for that here. He owns us and I do not like that at all.
Old 19th September, 2007, 03:52 PM

Lack of accountability is the problem. It isn't limited to MS, but it is there practice and it's becoming commonplace. The old, if you don't like our product don't use it, after I have already paid for it and cannot return it is tiresome..

DFI and I are going through this as we speak. Actually have an email from them saying if I don't like the product, don't use it. Never did receive a response to my "Well, then give my money back" email..

Last edited by ccperf721p; 19th September, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 19th September, 2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
MS, promises us the world and gives us sour grapes.
Well, actually, MS promise that their product will work substantially according to specification for 90 days.

Last edited by Áedán; 19th September, 2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 19th September, 2007, 06:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Does that promise have cash value if you feel it doesn't and want to return it? Wait a minute! For 90 days? Which 90 days? What if it doesn't work after 90 days, this is software, why the 90 day limit? ( Just wool gathering.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 19th September, 2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 19th September, 2007, 07:44 PM

That does not mean 90 consecutive days. Just 90 days total.
Old 19th September, 2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
That does not mean 90 consecutive days. Just 90 days total.
That's like a lifetime warranty..
Old 19th September, 2007, 08:30 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
That's like a lifetime warranty..
If you live in Bagdad.