AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th September, 2007, 03:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Pot calls kettle black!

Written by Daniel
Monday, 24 September 2007

Pirate Bay fires a salvo
File sharers pursue the content companies
The Inquirer
By Alice Winter: Monday 24 September 2007, 13:46

SWEDISH buccaneers The Pirate Bay seem to have been galvanised into action by the success of yet another International Talk Like a Pirate Day.... Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2007, 03:33 PM

Poor Piratebay, being hacked by the companies that are tired of them providing a means to illegally download their products.
Old 24th September, 2007, 05:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

At best this would probably be a hack back attack. They really are all just such lovely people":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2007, 06:24 PM

My nephews have recently learned about torrents and it's making my life a living hell with phone calls about the rigs that I have built for them. I told my sister to tell her kids to stop stealing **** and I would correct the problem. She thought I was kidding..
Old 24th September, 2007, 06:31 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Poor Piratebay, being hacked by the companies that are tired of them providing a means to illegally download their products.
It isn't illegal at all.

TPB has been operating for years within the bounds of the law. The problem companies have is that they assume that American law (DMCA) applies to the entire world.

The reason TPB have the right to go to the cops over this, is because while TPB adheres to the letter of the law, these companies don't. Until the land of the oppressed does take over the planet, American companies have no choice but to accept the sovereignty of foreign nations.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 24th September, 2007, 06:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Oh yeah! That's what they said in America! Look at us now! Fear the corporations!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 24th September, 2007, 07:04 PM

I realize TPB isn't doing anything illegal. legal and just are often different. If you are going to pawn of other peoples work expect something to come about.
Old 24th September, 2007, 07:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

And these corporations should know that as well...Kettle/pot...get it!? LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 24th September, 2007, 07:30 PM

I'm not anti-corporate. Most provide a service and should be paid for their time. Others I could live without and fortunately there are alternatives to pretty much every unethical business out there..
Old 24th September, 2007, 08:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

What ever their virtues or sins in the market place,.... they make lossy governments, just stop an Iraqi and ask him...quick before he guts you! ":O}

Do you realize who writes Pharmasuical law?
Do you realize who writes our tax code?

Fear the corporations. They only talk about the bottom line, not how far down one must sink to get there.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 24th September, 2007, 09:24 PM

We have a little different viewpoint on this matter. We speak of corporate greed and their wanting to change the world to what they deem appropriate, none of this would be possible if there wasn't someone just as corrupt and just as greedy in a position to make these things happen. It's hard to lump every corporation of size in as part of the problem for me. Someone within that company wants something someone outside of that company has and that person can be bought. hard to blame the buyers when there are that many people willing to sell it..
Old 24th September, 2007, 09:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Corporations are greedy. You can't argue that any other way.

The first rule of business is to Make Money. That's why a business exists. However, business is amoral. It has no ethics, no guidelines, no notions of right and wrong, no LIMITS on its behavior, other than those we impose.

Now, place into such an environment poor frail little humans; beings subject to whims, flights of fancy, and emotion. Without any inherent limit on their behavior, people will tend to descend to their basest levels.

Make no mistake about it; human beings are greedy, selfish, and lazy.

There's good reason for this: it's a survival characteristic that has worked for thousands of years!

A person isn't going to work unless there is reason to; it just isn't a good survival strategy to waste energy on something that won't enhance your survival. Hence, people are lazy.

A person is not going to do something for someone else unless there is good reason to; it just isn't a good survival strategy to let someone else benefit from your work and energy unless there is some benefit to you. Hence, people are selfish.

A person is going to tend to want to accumulate as much of the things they need for survival as possible; it isn't a good survival strategy let a scarce (hence valuable) resource go to waste when it is available; hence people are greedy.

In nature, those characteristics are regulated and opposed by nature itself. We can't accumulate an excessive amount of the things we need to survive (like food) because they will simply go to waste. Because of laziness, we aren't going to expend effort acquiring things that are simply going to go to waste anyway.

However, take the human beast out of nature and put them in charge of a mechanism designed to accentuate to the extreme those characteristics that allow us to survive, and then don't provide any means of regulating those mechnisms, and we shouldn't be surprised by the results.
Old 24th September, 2007, 10:58 PM
AOA Staff

There are some businesses which do consider ethics as a priority. However, they are never the market leaders, and don't make as much money as they could do otherwise.

The problem is, if one does something dodgy. Their competitors have to follow suit, or perish. They lead each other in to foul play.

We don't just see this in business, it happens in many areas of life. Sport being one of them.
Old 25th September, 2007, 02:25 AM
Member/Contributer

I have no problems with places like TPB, and many others. There are far worse things out there.

I use torrents for many things - file sharing among my family (its nice and secure) and many free apps can be downloaded via torrents - which means if my connection bombs out I don't have to start again.

I have also been known to avail of the other side once or twice. When I bought X3, starforce did nasty things to my PC, and I couldn't even listen to music CD's in the drive - or actually play the game. After managing to remove it, in which it didn't tell me it was installing, and there is no uninstall - a simple starforce removed copy sorted my problems. It now doesn't have it on, but at that time neither starforce, or egosoft would help me with my problem.

I have no problems paying for someone elses hard work. I have a problem when I have issues because of what they did to it - and have no warning whatsoever.

If a company offered fee based DVD downloads via torrents, without the copy protection - and was reasonably priced - less people would be pushed towards the illegal.

Copy protection has driven the hacker market, not the other way around. If you inconvenience only those legit buyers, where do you think they will go? I don't mind CD checks, I do mind poorly written unasked for software destroying my OS, that I can't uninstall when I uninstall the game.

Many new software titles are avaliable for download, without the copy protection within days - where does it inconvenience them?

Lastly, its not illegal where they are, the only thing that they are doing is giving them more free publicity. Then people check it out - see that they can get the software for free without the inconveniencies inherent to most purchased copies, hence driving the cycle they say they wish to stop.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 25th September, 2007, 11:06 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

What TPB are doing (in Sweden) is not illegal. However, that isn't generally the case for those doing the downloading. What TPB are saying is that they're not the illegal ones, so it's not their problem.
Old 25th September, 2007, 02:17 PM
Steve Jobs

This is quite relevant: http://theinquirer.net/?article=42589

No doubt the MPAA/RIAA has more than its fair share of US lawmakers firmly under thumb as well.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 25th September, 2007, 02:25 PM

Imagine that, all they wanted at first was to make money selling copyrighted material, now they have to purchase a new way to do business..
Old 25th September, 2007, 03:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Just a question. How much money have the record comapnies made off CD's? they don't have any copyright protection (minus the short lived sony garbage). Neither do books. From memory, neither did VHS.

Yes there were pirates, but all this copyright protection hasn't stopped them. Only inconvenienced the people who actually buy the legit copies.

As for purchasing a new way to do business, move with the times. it has always been like that. The move from tape to CD, floppy to CD, etc.

Online sales will only grow - They have to meet the market if they want to survive. Torrents are a good way of reducing a companies bandwith costs, and torrents also have other benfits for the consumer.

The piracy 'business model' has now outpaced the companies, and they are trying to win back ground. Its to late, to much like trying to herd cats. It's not going to happen. The internet is to big, and there are to many countries which don't recognise US copyright laws.

The only way they are really going to compete is to move in a way which makes it at least if not more convenient to a purchaser to go though them, as opposed to pirate it.

For me in NZ, movies, games, CD's, etc may not even make it here, or they do up to months after even Aussie. It is often easier to find, and obtain a pirated version. Money not even in the question.

Not only that, the price is usually outragously more than the rest of the world.

Vista Ultimate (in own countries currency):
NZ $980
AU $670
US $320

All in US$
NZ $723
AU $581
US $320

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 25th September, 2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 25th September, 2007, 03:45 PM

No I'm with you, If a percentage of product left my business without being paid for, you can bet I would be looking for a new way to do business...

Last edited by ccperf721p; 25th September, 2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 25th September, 2007, 04:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Not only that, the price is usually outragously more than the rest of the world.
As long as you don't live in the UK that is...

Vista Ultimate (in own countries currency):
NZ $980
AU $670
UK £370
US $320

All in US$
NZ $723
AU $581
UK $744
US $320

Last edited by Áedán; 25th September, 2007 at 04:02 PM.