AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th February, 2008, 10:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Query about web hosting.

I'm starting my own business, and want to have a website associated with it.

I know the address I want, as far as I can tell, there isn't an actual page there, I know I need someone to host my website, but how do I go about registering the domain name and getting it shown and Google and all that sort of stuff.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th February, 2008, 10:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Many web hosts such as CIHost and DreamHost will actually do all the domain name registration stuff for you. All you have to do is sign up with them to do the hosting. Otherwise, you can just go to a domain registrar (Network Solutions, GoDaddy, Register.com, just to name a few). They will typically have a registration 'wizard' that will walk you through the process of registering your domain name.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2008, 12:37 AM

And then I just need someone to host the files correct?

Is it expensive to register a domain name, and can I get .com.au domains?

Old 14th February, 2008, 01:57 PM
Steve Jobs

.com.au domains are a bit more expensive than .com. melbourneit.com.au would be my recommendation for registration. As for hosting, use a company with American servers, not Australian. AU hosting facilities suck, and cost five times as much.

Dreamhost is a good choice for hosting, cheap, reliable.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 14th February, 2008, 05:31 PM

i use webmania
Old 14th February, 2008, 09:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Good luck with your new Business! What are you getting into Ron?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 15th February, 2008, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the info dsio. :-)

Daniel ~ : I'm starting up my own onsite IT business. Doing network setups (just basic stuff, few PC's printer, wireless etc) home PC installs, virus removal and clean up. Just general everyday stuff that mums and dads want but cant always do. I'm the cheapest i've seen too. So i'm looking forward to it. Getting my car decked out in business logos etc website. Hopefully everything will run according to plan over the next 2-3 months.

Old 15th February, 2008, 08:51 AM
Steve Jobs

Give you a hot tip: Get business insurance before you do anything else.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 15th February, 2008, 09:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
Thanks for the info dsio. :-)

Daniel ~ : I'm starting up my own onsite IT business. Doing network setups (just basic stuff, few PC's printer, wireless etc) home PC installs, virus removal and clean up. Just general everyday stuff that mums and dads want but cant always do. I'm the cheapest i've seen too. So i'm looking forward to it. Getting my car decked out in business logos etc website. Hopefully everything will run according to plan over the next 2-3 months.
Sounds like a great start up for you!

Business is it's own disiplend and must be mastered as much as the tech expertise your selling... I see you doing well...":O}

(Mind dsio's advice and spare yourself some pain! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 17th February, 2008, 11:24 AM

I am looking into it on Monday. I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing so i've kept my full time job, because at least thats guarnteed money. The next 2-3 months with advertising in the paper will be crucial.

Old 17th February, 2008, 05:12 PM

I'm fairly new to business sites, having just got mine going (and only 25% complete) but I have been in business for myself since I got out of prison in 1996. A couple of tips that have kept me in business: Reputation is critical, this not only applies to how you conduct business, but how your customers conduct business as well. There are bad customers, ie, the cheapskates who will only use inferior products and only shop by price. When their products fail they bad-mouth you for the service. (Bad news travels fast) This kind of customer can do long term damage to your business.

Second, do it right the first time, do not cut any corners. Comebacks cost you twice, once for having to go back, and again for not being able to make money on another job at that time. Let the quality of your work build your reputation and not the price. You want to attract people who make educated decisions based on value not price.

Third: Educate your customers, let them know why you do things the way you do and why it is the correct way of doing it. This way when they are somewhere else they will be able to recognise a job done incorrectly, your stock will go up with them and anyone they talk to..

It took me a year to develop a client base that would support my business. I worked a part-time job at night to pay my bills (nobody knew at the time) but the hard work paid off and I am now in a position that if feel I don't want a person as a customer I can turn him and his money down.

I would recommend having a store on the site. Check into distributors, manufactuers etc, best if they will drop-ship for you, that way you do not have to keep inventory. I would also recommend not selling anything in your store that you would not use personally, after all you may be the one having to install it.
My store is not doing a great volume, but I make about $150 profit from it each week and all it requires is a phone call to my suppliers to get the stuff shipped out.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 17th February, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 19th February, 2008, 03:40 AM

Currently i'm holding on to my job at <<COMPUTER RETAIL OUTLET>> to build my client base. Thats the sole reason i'm staying.

I like point 3 though, that sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by Rondog; 19th February, 2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 19th February, 2008, 08:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

...Beware of sticker shock...you will be amazed at what you will have to charge in order to make a descent living,... how much you have to spend each month before you can make...I've read that one of the biggest mistakes people starting out make is not paying themselves enough!

The bills are due, the end of the month is here and to cover expenses you spend your pay on the business... in short, they didn't charge realistically...Don't hope to make it by undercutting everyone else, you will soon have the same bills to pay once you get rolling...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 20th February, 2008, 01:41 AM

"Get them by being the cheapest. Keep them by being the best"

Old 20th February, 2008, 02:26 AM
AOA Staff

One of the best and cheapest ways to advertise, is via sign writing on your car. It's a one off cost, which lasts a long time.

Just park your car up somewhere where it will be seen by potential customers.
Old 27th February, 2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
One of the best and cheapest ways to advertise, is via sign writing on your car. It's a one off cost, which lasts a long time.

Just park your car up somewhere where it will be seen by potential customers.
:-) The car will be parked on Hargreaves St (Busiest st in the town I live, small town, 60k-90k people). On weekends during the day.