AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Data Security

Data Security Viruses, Firewalls and Safe computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2008, 12:11 AM
AOA Staff

Blu-ray Disc Protection BD+ Cracked

Quote:
Latest Blu-ray Disc copy protection circumvented by PC software
See front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/4054/2/

Comments?
Old 21st March, 2008, 03:59 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Did anyone honestly expect this to last? All this stuff does is delay the pirates a few months and make it exceedingly difficult for honest people to make archival copies.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2008, 10:56 AM
AOA Staff

Yup, totally pointless, and anyone can now copy blu-ray discs. Just a case of getting the latest version of AnyDVD HD.
Old 21st March, 2008, 07:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'd love to ask them how they ever thought they could win a war against their own customers and come out on top?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th March, 2008, 11:53 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It is interesting that people want a secure system in order to be able to do things such as online banking, but at the same time, they want to be able to break the security implemented in things like BluRay. Unfortunately protection mechanisms used in products like BluRay (Encryption and virtual machines) are very similar to protection mechanisms used elsewhere to protect assets.
Old 25th March, 2008, 02:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Stellar point there. If our money was compromised, we would be up in arms. Yet we shout praises here for this....
Old 25th March, 2008, 02:38 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

It is a simple point -

We worked hard for our money, it is ours. We can do with it what we want, give it away, buy things, invest it, anything we choose. We want it to be protected against other people stealing it from us.

We worked hard to buy a blue-ray disk... We can do with it... erm... well, we can watch it on a certified player and HD screen. Heaven forbid we should want to rip it to a portable media player, or, *gasp* want to keep a backup copy of the disk. In fact, just forget about that fact that if you had hundreds of blueray disks you might like to rip them all to your home media server and watch them all over your network on your swanky HD TV.

The difference is fair use, I think. If the copy protection technology was stopping people stealing our movies, I don't think anyone would be against it. But when it is stopping us doing something that we want to (and I think we should be able to) with our possessions... then it is a different matter

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 25th March, 2008, 06:27 PM

I have to agree with Favu.

I mean, you wouldn't be happy if your employer forced you to only spend the money you earned on your employer's business. But it's to protect you from pirates! You wouldn't want people who have stolen your money to spend it somewhere else!

You'd never take it. It's absurd.

We are earning these discs by paying cold hard cash that we worked for, and being told "Sorry, you have to buy one of our fine products, and that's the only thing you'll ever be able to watch it on!"

If I want to watch it on my laptop, and I spent my hard-earned cash on that movie, then I'm watching it on my laptop, dammit. Luckily using a crack to do that is legal for personal use, but it's not in all countries, and the whole idea is ridiculous.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how any sort of copy-protection can ultimately work on a very simple, very direct 1:1 copy. I may be wrong, but can't you just take the DVI and optical audio out straight into a TV card, and convert it to a lossy format? I know HDMI is copy-protected, but really, this doesn't seem that hard. Hell, even a composite output would probably end up being about equivalent to what is permeating the web. It just doesn't seem like this is doing anything except inconveniencing people who just want to enjoy the things they bought how they want to.

/rant
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 25th March, 2008, 07:36 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu View Post
Heaven forbid we should want to rip it to a portable media player,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony
"For example, this year we will develop the ability to take a Blu-ray Disc and load it into a PS3 and then copy the movie to your PSP for mobile usage.

I'm looking forward to this feature, makes a blu-ray movie better value for money, although still too expensive.
Old 25th March, 2008, 10:16 PM

...And what if you don't have a PSP? Or a PS3? What if you just have a regular BD player, and a BD-ROM, and just want to rip it onto your portable music player of choice?
Old 25th March, 2008, 10:40 PM
AOA Staff

A regular BD player is unlikely to have a processor and software capable of converting a HD movie to a smaller standard-def format video file.

Perhaps, standalone BD players in the future will allow this. Perhaps, Microsoft will offer a similar service via Xbox Live HD movie downloads, and some other portable video player. It's up to them to sort it out for themselves.

Sony is simply looking after customers who have bought in to their system, and looking after their own interests at the same time of course.

I'd be surprised if we ever see any such system available for PCs with BD drives, aside from AnyDVD. But, using that is potentially illegal.

We know that Sony and others frown upon PCs, because their music and videos gets abused by some PC owners via file-sharing, and the lack of control they have over that.
Old 25th March, 2008, 11:15 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Sony allowing the ripping of your Sony Blu-ray film from your Sony PS3 to your Sony PSP at some point in the future... mighty generous of them!

I think that the majority of people will, in fact, have stand alone players and will maybe in the future acquire computers with Blu-ray drives, much as is now the case for DVDs.

I want to watch my film of choice (which I have paid for) on my device of choice (which I have paid for), be it my computer, super set top box player, mobile phone, portable media player, filofax, microwave oven, whatever.

And I think that, realistically, that is what I am going to be able to do, in one way or another, whether Sony wants me to, or not.

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 25th March, 2008, 11:30 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroar View Post
...And what if you don't have a PSP? Or a PS3? What if you just have a regular BD player, and a BD-ROM, and just want to rip it onto your portable music player of choice?
Sony doesn't care about you.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 25th March, 2008, 11:45 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu View Post
Sony allowing the ripping of your Sony Blu-ray film from your Sony PS3 to your Sony PSP at some point in the future... mighty generous of them!

I think that the majority of people will, in fact, have stand alone players and will maybe in the future acquire computers with Blu-ray drives, much as is now the case for DVDs.

I want to watch my film of choice (which I have paid for) on my device of choice (which I have paid for), be it my computer, super set top box player, mobile phone, portable media player, filofax, microwave oven, whatever.

And I think that, realistically, that is what I am going to be able to do, in one way or another, whether Sony wants me to, or not.
Which mobile phones can store and playback feature length movies?

I'm asking because I don't know. Perhaps some can.

I like a good moan too. But, I think you're moaning prematurely about this one.

No-one has said that we will never be able to do what you want, at least to some extent. Although the microwave thing is unlikely.

If someone wants to watch BD movies on the go now, they can, just a case of using a laptop with BD drive.

There are plenty of options for watching HD movies on portable devices.

You can go ahead and rip them using AnyDVD, and it's not as if black helicopters are going to land on your front lawn.
Old 26th March, 2008, 12:49 AM
AOA's resident barman

The microwave was sarcasm, and yes a fair few phones can store (with the addition of a memory card in most cases) and play back video, as long as it is in a supported format

My real gripe is that by default, I can't rip my movies. I must first circumvent the copy protection. Which is illegal?

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 26th March, 2008, 01:40 AM
AOA Staff

I can't rip 'em either, yet, even with a PS3 and PSP.

The remote play feature on the PS3 is very good. I can play music on my PS3 via wi-fi to my PSP. I can even watch ripped videos stored on the PS3, on my PSP. But I can't watch the original movie which is inserted in to the PS3 disc player using remote play. Where's the sense in that?